Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best light pink rugosa for oceanfront site

Posted by spammypam coastal MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 11:59

Hi,

I live directly on the ocean on the northshore of Boston. I would love to have light pink rugosa hedges to plant in back of a short rock seawall. The roses need to be very hardy for our very cold and sometimes snowless winters. They also have to live though wind, salt,sand and the occasional winter flood and hot humid weather in summer. My neighbors all have all rosa rugosas that do well, but I'm not crazy about the stick-like shape and I would prefer a lighter pink. My neighbor thinks that rugosa hybrids will not survive. Any of you coastal gardeners have ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best light pink rugosa for oceanfront site

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 13:28

R. rugosa var. Rosea, AKA R. rugosa repens Rosea, is a light pink flowering rugosa, supposedly hardy to Zone 2. Since Saltspray Rose and Sea Tomato are two of rugosa's common names, I'd bet they'd work for you.

o

No contest, the perfect choice would be a rugosa cultivar called Fru Dagmar Hastrup. It thrives in very cold places and is quite floriferous, a single light pink that also has great autumn leaf color and hips. It is among the roses rated highest by the American Rose Society, which means something. Another choice would be a rose bred from it in Canada called Jens Munk, also very highly rated. This one is semi-double light pink, with flowers slightly smaller. The Fru Dagmar link is to the American Rose Society site and you can also do a search on this site to find an article with photo of Jens Munk. One last tip, try to purchase "own root" plants, as grafted plants can sometimes go wild if their rootstock starts sending up top growth. The rootstock is a different rose. "Own root" means the plants are propagated from cuttings, not grafts, and can only produce top growth of the true variety you bought. Please post a pic next year of your glorious new hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fru Dagmar Hastrup

o

I have hips of a darker pink Rosa if you'd like (also a white variety)-- I live directly on the ocean facing east and the plants have survived everything since the storm of 1991 (I don't know how they did before that -- we weren't here). As for the "sticks", we prune them down to about six inches, so it's more like stubble. (-: If you'd like some hips (this is the easiest rose to grow from seed) let me know.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 26, 04 at 6:25

Hi Steve,

I saw your post, and I took a quick look at your list. I'm interested in at least these:

Coriandrum sativum (do you know what variety?)
Fountain Grass -- ornamental
Rosa rugosa/Beach or Wood Rose

Please take a look at my list, and let's do a trade. I have a few Campanulas and Aquilegia vulgaris, among other things that will work in your zone.

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/donn_?19043

Donn Westervelt
Donn_ on GW

PS..I sent a forum-based email, but sometimes they don't go through.

o

I am writing a book on seashore gardening, and would love to hear more about your successes and failures making a garden north of Boston. What works, what doesn't? Are your neighbors' rosa rugosa the wild one? I garden on Martha's Vineyard and next year I'm going to try Fru Dagmar.

Any anecdotes about gardening on the shore?

Thanks for your help.

Frances Tenenbaum

o

writer editor,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but we had such a bad, long winter that I avoided this website because thinking about gardening was depressing!

I can't offer you any info or advice, as I am a novice, especially when it come to my unique coastal conditions.

The only anecdote I can offer is...nothing thrives and very little survives a nothern coastal garden that gets flooded with sea water every winter. I am trying to convince myself to stick to annuals!

However, you are more than welcome to come here and set up a test garden.

Best wishes!

o

Spammypam,
I've heard about a "new" shrub rose (don't know of this interests you) this season called, R. 'Lady Elsie Mae', a 3' x 3, a semi-double, coral-pink, scented rode with dark leaves and resistant to blackspot. What say you? I must say, I haven't got a look at it yet.
Best,
PP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here