Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Franks Nurseries closing

Posted by Jannie z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 04 at 15:54

I just read that Franks Nursery and Crafts, which has 128 stores, is filing for bankruptcy and will be liquidating their inventory. It's a shame to hear this. I have bought many plants and related supplies from them over the years.I remember when they used to be called "Flower Time". While they never carried the super range of plants like Atlantic Nursery in Freeport Long Island, they had some very good prices, and friendly staff. Sorry to hear them go, but I will be checking to see if they have any good going-out-of-business sales.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Franks Nurseries closing

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 8, 04 at 16:51

Me too...I've got one right around the corner. Thanks for the heads-up.

o

I missed seeing this. Was it in Newsday? Are they filing chapter 11.....if so, they could reorganize.I was just in there yesterday and it was mostly Halloween junk. Does this mean we have to give more money to Home Depot?????

o

heres a link for google with the info.
wbloonatic

Here is a link that might be useful: franks files chapter 11

o

Hope I don't sound mean but Frank's is one of my least favorite places to visit, not just in terms of nurseries, but in terms of anything. I don't like nurseries that sell "craft" items and the stores are typically run down and outdated (fake wood paneling on the walls and leaky acoustical tiles on the ceiling). I know it's an unfair comparison, but look at nurseries like Marder's and Martin Viette. These places take pride in their establishment. Perhaps this is reflected in the prices, but these places also sell plants that don't have weeds flourishing in every other pot, that aren't dried out and simply, unplantable (like many of the ones I see at Franks). Daisy Garden in Bayport is another nice nursery that sells nice, weed-free plants, but in this case, aren't that expensive. The nursery itself isn't as high-end as Marder's, but at least it's neat, well-maintained and not falling apart at the seams.

I hate to see a business go out of business, because people lose jobs. But someone at corporate needs to look hard at WHY they are going out of business. To me, the reasons are very clear.

Angie

o

Hi everyone.

I just called Frank's in Levittown, they said 10% sale starts Sept 19th and as the weeks go on, deeper discounts.

Angie, I know just what you mean. I grew up in Levittown so I've seen the decline over the years.

It makes me sad because of all the people losing their jobs, and because it's been a mainstay of Levittown as long as I can remember whether it was FlowerTime or Frank's. I hope another nursery goes in there and not another fast food place or something. Hempstead Turnpike is not what it used to be.

I'll take a ride by on the first day, see if the orchids are worth it. From what I remember the last time I was there, their prices were already 10% higher than smaller independants so it's probably not such a great deal.

But really, who could resist some discount potting soil or a bunch of bulbs for spring? Good thing I didn't make that online order yet.

o

I agree with you Angie about the condition of our local Franks and its' product line. It was more convient at times for picking up things like fertalizer,seeds , or hose parts, than to deal with the lines at Home Depot. The plants always were brought in too early in the season, so they always looked frost bitten.I am saddened by all of the people loosing their jobs and the fact that Patchogue will have yet another ugly, empty storefront. As far as bargains go....I doubt it. If they use a liquidater, the prices will be reduced to what HD is selling things at now. When I was in there last Sunday the ANNUALS were marked down 50%...big whoop!There was no sign of any tools or lawn equipment, I mean it was mostly Halloween JUNK.

o

I think Franks served its purpose, Not all gardeners can afford the prices of the upscale nurseries. I am so sorry that it is closing.
I know the people on the birdwatching forum would shudder but I bought most of my birdseed there and my birds were happy with what they got.

Stella

o

Bellport as jannie said they don't carry "superior" range of plants nor are they a superior nursery they're a little like home depot..... a little of everything of course not as large.... as their sign says they're "nursery and crafts" for a few cheap perennials on sale of a flat of annuals I don't think you can go wrong..... :)

o

Current inventory of the Levittown LI store:

Some good shrubs and small trees outside, many are crispy
Tons of pots, plastic/ceramic
Not a lot of house plants but some of them are huge and marked down a lot (there's an extremely large orchid that I'm considering purchasing on Sunday-please don't buy it!!)
They have a lot of Halloween decorations on sale
Bird food: 10lb thistle $9.99, 8lb pepper treated mix $6.99, Lyric Delite 18lb $24.99, Lyric Supreme $15.99, 5lb Safflower $4.99
Grass seed/chemicals
Spring bulbs: only Iris $4.99 for 1 bulb of bearded and $2.99 for German Iris bulb. No tulips, no daffs, no crocus.
Lots of cactus
Potting soil: 40lb $4.99, 20lb $2.99

Oh and they aren't honoring Senior Citizens discount as well as checks.

Some of the stuff was already marked down, and will be even more so on Sunday.

Good shopping to you all!

o

I couldn't wait till Sunday, I went back in and bought it. This same orchid is selling for $50. online for a 4" pot where I have a 6". I'm extremely happy, I only paid $13.00 for it!

I walked right past the bulbs last time, they do have tulips. 15 bulbs for $4.99 isn't so bad, I might grab some Sunday.

o

I will mention Daisy Garden again. Gallon perennials for $7.50, with no weeds, in perfect condition and well-developed. Plant them and they hit the ground running.

Just because something is inexpensive, it doesn't have to be of inferior quality, tacky and cheap. Again, there is a reason why Frank's is going out of business.

o

WhenI was as Frank's in Levittown, there were tulip bulbs but no daffodil bulbs. The same bulbs are also at the one in Huntington. I did see some perennials at the Levittown store. They had priced them 3 for $5.99 each. I picked up 3 gallon containers of 'Custard Candy' daylily. There were a few 'Strawberry Candy' ones left too. Franks was very good at selling annuals, herbs and perennials. If you knew what you wanted and Frank's had it, you usually got it for less than the larger just nurseries sold it for. I am going to miss their container mix that I used every year for my hanging baskets and flower boxes. And yes, I do remember the big fire that caused them to renovate and when they were called 'Flowertime'.

o

I just went to my local Franks and NOTHING is marked down accept for the annuals- hahaha, ;^) she says on 9/23/04 ( would you like to buy a bridge?). I was told the liquidater will start marking down on this Sunday and it will probably start with 10%. Biiiiiigggggg whoop!

o

I visited the Franks in Smithtown this week. No big sales, no going-out-of-business signs. About four cars in the parking lot. Nothing outside. A few employees inside, moving things around, looking sad. Lots of Halloween junk, a small amount of Christmas merchandise, a few houseplants, cacti, pots, grass seed, bird seed, lawn furniture ,some bushes, and outside way in the back a table marked "as is". Even those were marked $6.99. No bargains. I picked up a bag of potting soil, a few pots, and one forlorn Yarrow @ 6.99. Yeah. On the way out, they have a graveyard sign marked "RIP Franks Nursery." I don't plan on going back ever again.

o

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 04 at 12:12

Thanks Jannie for the heads up, I was planning on heading to the Smithtown Franks on Sun. for some large pots, plant markers, etc., but from your description it probably would have been a wasted trip.

o

I know I'm posting this a little late, but I work at Franks (In Baltimore, but still...) and thought I'd offer a little inside info. We were told not to share any of this with the public, but, eh, what are they going to do? Fire me?

Each of the stores is now owned by an independent liquidator, who will decide when, and by how much, to mark things down. I think for the most part all the stores are doing it in unison, but I know there are a few stores by mine that are already marked down to %75. My stores highest markdown is still noly 30%.

A lot of the stores are getting in more bulbs--our store just got them yesterday. We only had iris' for a while, but then yesterday we got tulips, daffodils, crocus, and other more uncommon (at least, in Baltimore) bulbs. These are marked down 30% at my store, but they're selling quickly. (I have my stash hidden in the back, I'm going to wait to buy them until they're marked down more. But don't tell anyone. :P) At least in Baltimore, Franks has the largest selection of bulbs, and they're going for a pretty good price right now. I'd reccomend you keep checking your local stores if any of you are interested, there are quite a few good deals.

And actually, the reason the store is going out of business is because of TERRIBLE management. A lot of stores are telling thier customers it's due to competition--this simply isn't true. We have had four CEOS in three years, all grossly overpaid, who wasted a LOT of money. I do have some more information about the causess of the bankruptcy that isn't really common knowledge, if anyone's interested, just ask.

I really do appologize about the condition of the stores and the plants, I know how shadey some of our stores can be. And I agree with whoever said that nurserys should NOT sell crafts. There are a few employees at my store who really are concerned about the plants, but they are few and far between. Franks doesn't pay very well, and most of the people who work there just work there because it's a job, not the love of gardening. There aren't many people interested in working at gardening centers anyway, and the ones that are go to independent stores where the pay is better, and they can make a career out of it.

o

I recently went to Franks and got a couple of good deals thought you have to be ready to take a gamble..... some plants are half dead.... all aren't the best deals are on the ones that are ailing.... It's sad to see some plants dead completely due to lack of care..... some roses etc. at least they could have given them away???? To family members???? Some things that SHOULD be marked down because of condition etc. aren't but many are.... Lots of perennials..... No annuals that I saw..... no bulbs...... Lots of houseplants in perfect conditon..... none yet marked down..... here's what I bought:
epimedium versicolor- good condition 3.98 gallon pot
epimedium cantabriegenccse same as above gallon pot
Nelly moser clematis- half dead but only seven dollars - gallon pot
solidago fireworks..... not good but not bad condition $7.00 for this one in a gallon pot wasn't much of a markdown but I wanted it so I bought it anyway......
and my Mom bought rosa floribunda nearly wild...... Okay condition..... should be fine next year..... on sale for 3.98 in a gallon pot.....
I may go back and get (from what I saw.....) a couple of rosa rugosas..... not marked down enough yet for cdondition....
and a couple of hostas..... and hardy geraniums..... would also like to pick up a few of their shrubs and heathers.... Didn't see many trees..... Most shrubs looked in good condition..... the heathers were nearly perfect which is probably why they're not marked down (much) yet...... I didn't notice potting soil or anything I'll have to look...... no pots left...... drats I was hoping to get a bargain on some nice pots.....

o

Dropped into the store on Jericho Tpk Huntington. Big "going out of business" signs, as well as a sign saying they are hiring seasonal employees. Hardy har har. Very few plants left, but lots and lots of craft items, if that's your thing. But in the back was a big tractor trailer, unloading pumpkins.

o

At least around here, the Franks Nurseries were very poorly managed. They had nothing of interest to even a remotely serious gardener, the prices were high, and the employees didn't know as much as the nursery employees at Lowes or Home Depot.
We have a Lowes right down the street where they keep their nursery stock in great condition. For less-common items and advice, there are several family-owned nurseries.
As far as crafts, it seems to me that, with more and more women in the workforce, fewer and fewer of them are interested in creating run-of-the-mill crafts that can be bought ready-made at any discount store.
So,will Franks be missed? Not around here.

o

You know what..I work at Franks Nursery, I have for two years. It has been my main source of income and it has been an amazing experience. I guess you wouldn't understand though, you are all just worried about bashing Franks and saying things you don't even know what youre talking about. We are like a family at my store, so of course i was heartbroken to find out that i would soon lose my family, and basically, my second home. It is very sad and I wish there was something i could have done to save franks, but its too late. There are many reasons to why it is closing, but not because of quality. If you would have taken the tiem to visit franks within the past year, we have had some very nice things and we are very reasonably priced, You dont konw what youre talking about, dont say anything. Dont bash franks because ALOT of people are losing jobs because of this, including me..hmm 169 stores, 14 states..thats alot of people who are looking for jobs and if they are like me and have worked there for some time, it is a very hard time right now. please be respectful and if you dont like franks, dont say anything because you dont know what youre talking about.

o

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 29, 04 at 15:02

First, let me say that it is always sad when people lose their jobs especially when it is enmasss and could possibly have been avoided. I am sorry for your loss and don't belive that a single poster here meant any harm or ill will towards the employees of Franks that are being harmed by their closing.

That being said, I noticed that you apparently just joined Garden Web. By your "name," location, and your decision to post in the northeast coastal gardening section I presume that you have some displaced anger and that the only reason why you posted may be to stir up trouble. If that is so, you should also know that the First Amendment and free speech are alive and well at Garden Web so all opinions are typically welcome here, whether or not you agree with them is your own perogative.

Peace & Good Luck to you.

Beth

o

I am very sorry to hear you lost your job. As I said above, I hate to hear when businesses fail, because people lose jobs. Including you, whoever you are.

But I am curious, how did you find this thread in "Northeast Coastal Gardening" when you are from Minnesota? I too would like to know. I wouldn't take this thread too personally - criticisms of nurseries happens quite a bit on the GW, to wit, if you spend enough time on the Roses Forum, sooner or later there will pop up a very, very, very heated thread (as in, people get booted off the forum by Spike) about Walmart. This thread has been very civil and tame by comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here