Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider with white back, Help!

Posted by windsng225 z5/ct (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 17:57

Hi out there in cyber space, I have this really ugly spider in my garden and I am scared to death of it. It keeps building its web, I keep knocking it down with a broken branch. It's about 1 1/2 inches long with tan and either black or dark brown stripes on its legs. The really ugly part of it is, it"s back, which is light tan or practically white ( the white part is very fat, like it's carrying a sack of fluid or babies). I have tried to search on the internet, but, can't seem to find anything that comes close to what this fat spider looks like. Anyone out there, if you know anything, please let me know.
I am almost afraid to go into the garden now. (I do have a big fear of spiders, but I have gotten better this last summer), But this thing is really scaring me something awful.
Help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider with white back, Help!

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 10:17

Sounds like an orb weaver. They are beneficial to your garden and catch a lot of bugs. They usually set up near lights that attract bugs at night and can camp out in the same location all summer into the fall. You can watch them get bigger and bigger over the season, my kids and I name ours. I love them.

Sometimes when something makes you nervous or scares you it can help to find out as much as you can about it and that might allay your fears. There is actually a great book called Spiders of Connecticut that might help you ID the offending bug. I looked on Amazon for you and it looks like it's out of print. Maybe half.com?

My kids have a golden guide called Spiders and Their Kin which although for kids is quite good.

I hope the two of you can learn to get along.

o

I saw one in my back yard the back is very fat I am so scared to I will let you know if I find anything!

o

I have the same spider living in my kitchen window! I live in an area that could have the brown recluse spider so I was really nervous having her in my window! I really hope it is an orb spider!

o

i have been seeing a LOT of them in my apartment complex, mainly when going upstairs to my aunt's to walk her dog. i've been trying for days to find out what it is. i keep coming back to some sort of orb weaver but none of the pictures look like it. im just worried about getting bit when i use the railing, because i dont want it to be venemous. as long as its not venemous i could care less. i really hope someone can confirm what kind of spider it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here