Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back

Posted by softfurn z7LI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 04 at 8:14

Sooooo, out of curiosity.....when does everyone start cutting back their perennials, and pulling out their annuals? Do you do some now and leave some for winter interest,wait for Spring? Anyone still moving plants now ? Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back

I don't pull out the annuals until the first frost and they lay there dead! I have been cutting back perennials less and less in the fall-unless they are in the front yard and look particularly terrible. The rest I leave for the birds to eat seeds, bugs to over-winter, etc.
Lynn

o

I just received my last shipment of bulbs and a few perennials, which I hope to get planted tomorrow and Tuesday. I'll be cutting back just the hostas, because I want to plant some of the bulbs behind them (between the hostas and the fence). Also, I would rather cut back the hostas while they're yellow and still relatively crisp, than wait until after the first real frost which turns them to disgusting slimy mush.

For all other perennials, I usually wait till just before Thanksgiving to cut back, because I'm afraid of accidentally starting them into new growth if we get an unexpected late warm spell in early November.

I also do one big leaf cleanup after the trees on my property have dropped leaves. I still get a light leaf-mulch left in my beds because my neighbor never cleans up his leaves and the wind usually blows lots of his leaves over onto our property.

o

I leave everything alone in the fall. Some plants fade away,others make seeds for the birds (black eyed Susan and coneflowers), and roses and some herbs seem to survive a few frosts. By winter, the cold weather kills off all the annuals. But I hate working outside in the cold. Then I do a really good clean-up in the spring. No offense to those who keep their property neat and clean at all times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here