Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt tolarant flowers and shrubs

Posted by dugburden MA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 12:43

i recently bought a home along the ocean. There is a 3ft high stone wall in front of the ocean and my house.
I want to plant some flowers and srubs. I worry becasue of the salt spray and the heat of the summer. I was wondering if anyone could list the types of perreianl flowers and shrubs i could plant with out worrying. Can i plant annuals or will they die also. what about a tree or two the wind is really bad at times. I have been told the only tree i can plant is a cedar tree. They are boring anything else. Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt tolarant flowers and shrubs

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 13:54

There are quite a few choices in flowering perennials and ornamental grasses.

Rosa rugosa is a very good selection, being tolerant of salt spray and crummy soil. It thrives along the oceanside, has lovely blooms, and can make a beautiful shrub or hedge. It will grow right up your wall, and cascade over it.

Montauk Daisy, Nipponthemum nipponicum, is another lovely bloomer that lives by salt water happily.

Here's a list of many more:

DECIDUOUS TREES
Norway maple
Linden
White Birch (moderate)
Horse chestnut
Sugar maple (moderate)
Green ash (moderate)
Hawthorn
Red oak (moderate)
Basswood (moderate)
Apple/crabapple
White ash (moderate)
Black locust
Mountain-ash (moderate)

SHRUBS
Caragana
Potentilla
Forsythia
Honeysuckle
Serviceberry
Staghorn sumac
Elderberry
Japanese lilac
Spirea
Common lilac
Blueberry
Mockorange
Viburnum
Beach Plum

CONIFERS
Chamaecyparis
Scots pine
Concolor fir
Blue spruce
Tamarack
Jack pine
Austrian pine
Mugo pine
Juniperus horizontalis

PERENNIALS
Yarrow
Foxglove
Paxistima
Alyssum
Sea holly
Candytuft
Arabis
Peony
Chrysanthemum
Armeria
Baby's breath
Dianthus
Artemesia
Tall phlox
Creeping phlox
Campanula
Sedum
Daylily
Snow-in-summer
Delphinium
Coralbells

GRASSES
Elymus (Blue lyme)
Spartina (Cord)
Panicum (Switch)
Phalaris (Ribbon)
Helictotrichon (Blue oat)
Ammophila (Beach)

VINES
Climbing hydrangea
Honeysuckle
Virginia creeper
Grape

o

Ditto.... excellent choices Donn!

Luvherbz

o

• Posted by stevent Z6, Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 05 at 20:21

Don't forget Campanula ssp. (Bellflowers) - I have Spotted Bellflower about 100 yards from the ocean, right in the teeth of northeast weather; also Iris, both Bearded and Siberian. Watch out for the Sumac, though -- it'll send runners ALL over. Might as well plant Bittersweet! (-: Crabapple is also good.

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 1, 05 at 12:59

And, you can include Aronia (chokeberry, a native), cultivated staghorn sumac (Tiger Eyes is a new variety that apparently isn't as rampant as straight species) and Pennisetum (grass) in cultivars such as "Hameln" and "Little Bunny."

o

Even though some tree species show a tolerance to salt spray, it's another thing entirely for one to happily exist right next to the ocean. Most of the ones on Donn's list would die in that environment especially the maples. However, a few on the list that would probably have the best chance are hawthorne, black locust and crabapple. Note that the hawthorne and locust have thorns. One of the more adaptable evergreens for that environment would be a pitch pine if you're looking for a taller tree. Mugo pine adapts well to that environment, too.

I live in one of the seaside towns along the MA coast about a mile or so from the ocean. If you get my distance away from the ocean, you see a large variety of trees. However, if I take a short drive to the coast, there are very few trees around the homes that border the ocean. The high winds and salt-spray make it impossible to grow most types of trees there.

o

• Posted by lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 22:31

Here's another list which may be helpful to you from the Virginia Cooperative Extension. There is a huge assortment of plantings to choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Tolerant Plantings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here