Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Take my weather, PLEASE!

Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 19:29

I can't believe I did it. A senior moment, at the wrong time. My flats of plants, sitting on the boardwalk, waiting to be planted in higher ground, took ~6" of saltwater at the top of the tide this evening. I even checked the state of the water at this morning's high tide. When This evening's high came around, I was sitting at my desk, gazing through my magnifying lamp, cleaning Alyssum montanum seed. I glanced up at the computer and saw my tide software window, just hitting high tide. Dashed out, saw them sitting in the water, dashed back in and pulled on my tall boots, and went out to rescue them.

A dozen flats...probably 150 plants, spent a short time (1-2 hours, max) sitting in brackish water. I pulled them up onto the lawn, and flushed them out good with the hose, and now it's raining on them again.

I'm consoling myself with a Gin & Tonic, and trying to convince myself that they'll be ok. Very brackish water, not much salt (I tasted it, another reason for the G&T), their bands and rootballs were saturated with all the rain since yesterday....they'll be ok, right?

The worst drownee was a 10" pot of Prickly Pear Cactus ears that I rooted earlier in the year. It was completely submerged, and bobbing along, somewhat restrained by the flat it was in. It should be fine, as these things grow on the beach around here, and surely get salt floods.

Other's soaked range from Rudes to ornamental grasses. I guess this'll be a good test of their salt tolerance.

I've been here 8 years, and this is only the 2nd time the canal has covered the boardwalk, and we aren't even in a high-water moon cycle. This blow from the east, and all the rain, just ganged up on me. This means I have to design some fixtures for the boardwalk, that'll keep plants up out of the tide's range in the future.

Great...I needed another project.

(PS...they were almost free, cuz I grew them all from WS'd seed!! Worst case scenario? Very high-grade compost! )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Take my weather, PLEASE!

Donn, I hope your plants will be ok. This rain is out of control. Enjoy your gin & tonic, get a good nights sleep and let us know how they do. The rain is supposed to stop tomorrow.

Maureen

o

It's Thursday and it's still raining. Wish we had some of this back in August. Donn, don't worry about the plants, I am sure the sun will shine one of these days.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 8:33

Over 17" of rain in a week! I haven't seen so much rain since monsoon season in Vietnam.

o

• Posted by Claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 18:16

10 days later and it's raining again in SE Mass! And the worst part of it is the winds! It's a super-noreaster - whoopee...

Claire

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 9:40

Donn,
Dagnab those storms. I hope the opuntia shakes off the effects. They are rugged cactuses, so I bet it will. Rinsing those roots thoroughly is probably all you needed to do. After this season, you might want to landscape with spartina and eel grass. lol

The tides have been terribly high here as well, thanks to Wilma, but I'm a couple blocks from the estuary and the harbor in my town, so the water I have been dealing with has been rain runoff. We got deluged yesterday, and the winds hit 50-60mph in some spots. Nothing like Florida's ordeal, but enough to trash gardens. I can't see the ground because of all the leaves (green -- didn't even get to change color) and twigs covering it.

o

Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 10:29

Donn: How did your plants and boardwalk survive this latest weather abomination?

For me, the downside to having a wonderful view of the Bay is that I spent a day and a half watching defenseless trees writhe and thrash in the wind gusts while the waves crashed down on the beach. Not to mention that my weathervane was blown off.

Got to pick up the downed branches and check the beach for damage.

but the sun is coming out, and the wind is just a gentle breeze. And they seem to have canceled next week's noreaster.

Claire

o

Wed, Oct 26, 05 at 10:39

All the plants seem to have survived, and many of them are now in the ground, in higher locations. We took more water over the bulkhead this time than last time, but I was out there moving the flats well in advance.

I got 3 more inches of rain yesterday, for a total of 20 this month...some kind of record, I believe. The sun is out now, and there's a gentle breeze from the NW. It's threatening to get up to 50 and I believe I'll go out and install some more seedlings.

o

Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 17:29

Maybe I'll just keep my weather after all. Since that last post, my part of the NE Coast has had stellar weather; nice temperatures, ample sunshine and no further rain. I'm putting in 8-hour days in the garden, and really making headway. It could stay like this for weeks, and I'd be happy.

o

Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 20:22

You win some, you lose some, you win some.

Classic sparkly fall days here too (except for one day of snow(!)..)- comfortable breezes through open windows and doors, the jacket stays on the back of the chair, lunch on the deck.

But I'm still watching my back. This stuff can, and will, turn on you if you relax too much. Although the extended weather forecast has a lot of smiling yellow suns in it...

One day at a time. Thanks for sharing your weather.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here