Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Birds?

Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 11:07

Anyone notice more birds this fall? Just in a very general way there seem to be many more birds sticking around in my Long Island backyard. I'm wondering if the cool October weather might have started them migrating from further North then when it warmed up they just stayed put. I've been in my current house six years and we've never had this many stick around.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Birds?

we always have a lot of birds, but, this year, i am noticing new varieties. well, at least i never noticed them before.

for instance, i believe i've seen some yellow rumped warblers. definitely more flickers. i love the birds!

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 15, 05 at 16:00

So... over the weekend I went to petco in Glen Cove to buy a super deluxe bird feeder and some bird food for thesee guys, today I come home for lunch and there is some unindentifiable screeching coming from the backyard. A cockatiel is back there defending his banquet from all the other birds that have gathered. Talk about invasives!

o

lol, that's funny. maybe he snuck home in the petco bag.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 22, 05 at 7:23

Last winter, and this summer, my feeders and pear tree were regular hosts to a colony of Monk Parakeets that have built a huge residence on a power pole down the street. Once, in late summer, I was out policing up rotten pears from under the tree (squirrels take one bite, and drop them to the ground), and a half-dozen of the Monks were sitting overhead in the Locust tree, giving me what-for. The squirrels have had a tough year, with Gold Finches chasing them out of the Sunflowers, and Monks chasing them away from the pears.

o

I read a newspaper article saying that an unusually large number of birds have now migrated to Mexico. Perhaps it's a sign that we're going to have a harsh winter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here