Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins

Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 15, 06 at 13:37

Well....... likely just talking to myself but we had great pumpkins this year. Funny, I kept reading about a bad pumpkin crop, something about rain and fungus. My kids just plopped last years Halloween pumpkins on the compost heap and we got 15 small but beautiful pumpkins. They carved some for Halloween and I made some of the best pumpking pie any of us have ever had.

The seeds went back in the same spot so we are hoping we are as fortunate next year. Got some nice gourds the same way as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins

I pick up every pumpkin, haybale and dried up mum I can get from the curb and use them for compost.
I put them on my hillside.. which is really an eroding sandy weed infested slope, that the Long Island Railroad made ... but hillside sounds so much better.

After reading your post I found a strange bird house gourd green and white.. I put that on my hill. I am hoping for volunteers in the spring.

My neigbors have a clear view of me unloading my car. I know they think I am a little kookie!
Maybe next fall I will have enough pumpkins I can share with them.

Lovelycherry

o

My pumpkins died prematurely...a sad, shriveled demise ;-(

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 12:44

Pumpkins are still rotting on the top of the compost heap. Starlings descend on them from time to time. Hope they leave some seeds.

o

How are your pumpkins doing this season?

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 11:50

They did some strange things.

One vine took off early and produced eight small but beautiful pumpkins in early August. August seemed an odd time to be eating pumpkin pie!

Another vine started under the kids' rabbit cage. It's become a monster! It went up and over the top of the cage, around and over a small redbud, through a climbing rose and into an arborvitae where a small green pumpkin is now dangling precariously. Other vines of the same plant are doing their best to run across the driveway. We did get some borer beatles whose worms damaged all the pumpkin vines. Had to do battle with them by poking through the vines with pins and trying to surgically remove/kill them. Now the vines are looking much better.

One vine thus far has had only male flowers so... no pumpkins on that one. Never seen that before.

Hard to know if we'll have the same success by Halloween as we did last year..... been interesting though.

How's your garden grow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here