Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Species Azaleas

Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 04 at 12:17

Anyone growing some/any of the southern species azaleas on Long Island? I planted a few this fall and I'm a little aprehensive about the coming cold weather.

I have

R. austrinum (millie mac)
R. calendulaceum (flame azalea)
R. flammeum (oconee azalea)
R. serrulatum (Hammocksweet Azalea)

and some others. Not so worried about the calendulaceum because it's northernmost range includes southern NY. I have them in protected spots but.... anyone have any experience with these they would share?

Posted this question on the azalea forum and got more than a few suggestions (private and on the forum) to join the local azalea society, I promise I will but in the mean time.....

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Species Azaleas

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 22, 04 at 16:33

I looked 'em up in my trusty book and got this:

R. austrinum, zone 6
R. calendulaceum, zone 5
R. flammeum, zone 6
R. serrulatum, AKA R. viscosum, zone 4

Why did they tell you to join the society?

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 23, 04 at 9:11

Thanks Donn.

"Why did they tell you to join the society?" Dunno, but it's probaby a good way to get good info. I only really lo-ove the native species azaleas though and it's been kinda hard to find good info on growing some of the southerners here on LI. One poster on the azalea forum told me the flammeum and austrinum at Planting Fields in Oyster Bay (about 5 minutes drive from where I am) have been languishing for years.

Got two good books on American azaleas on amazon recently so I'm starting to get myself straightened out.

I think they'll all do fine only I did plant them a bit late and they all came from southern nurseries (Tennessee and Alabama).

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 23, 04 at 11:51

May I ask where you ordered them from? How large were they, and what shape did they arrive in? I'm looking for good sources of Azalea for next year. I'm going to try growing some from seed, and from cuttings, but I need a fall-back position. When I looked up your's I spent about an hour on the Azalea pages in the RHS Ency, such gorgeous plants!

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 27, 04 at 11:36

"May I ask where you ordered them from?"

Yes you may... Most I ordered from a place in Tennessee called Mountain Mist nursery
Mountain Mist

The plants were $12.00 which was more than reasonable for the selection, size and health of the plants they sent. They looked to me like well established 3 year plants, some larger than others the biggest being 2' the smallest 12" but well branched and budded.

Others I got by contacting directly a seller I had previous dealings with on ebay. From them I received spectacular, large, well established plants for $7.50 each and very inexpensive shipping fees. The varieties were both R. austrinum cultivars, Millie Mac and Hot Spur Yellow. Gardenoftreasures2004 is the ebay ID they use.

By the way if you want cuttings of any of the varieties I have I'll be taking some myself in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden of treasures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here