Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: ct. spring swap '06

Posted by ronr z6 ct (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 29, 06 at 20:11

Anyone up for another ct. swap? Spring is finally here and I'm thinkin' we should start getting ready for the spring plant swap.
I'd ideally like to have the swap on Sunday may 7, starting around 10:00 am. Hopefully that works for the majority.
I'll probably set things up just like I have in the past...the free raffle,hamburgs,dogs,etc.
for anyone that has not already attended one of our swaps but is interested,feel free to chime in,everyone and anyone is invited (wether your from CT. or not),if your just starting your garden and don't have anything to swap don't worry about it,we always have plenty of plants to go around,so come on out and we'll help you get the garden started. once again the nursery has donated a $50.00 gift certificate for the free raffle and has offered a 25% discount on all plants to anyone involved in the swap. pets and children are certainly welcome,the swap is held right on a pond so the kids can go fishin',feed hay to the oxen,or whatever.
As far as lunch goes I'll bring hamburgers,hotdogs,soda,rolls etc. and the rest will be potluck style,so if you've got a favorite dish bring it along!
oh yea, the address...Youngs Nursery, 130 Washington Rd. ( Rt. 47) in Woodbury CT. about 3 or 4 miles south of the woodbury ski area.
Hope to see you all there...
Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: ct. spring swap '06

Wow, is it that time of year already?! :)

May 7th sounds pretty good to me, although I'm flexible with Sundays if another date is easier for the majority. Count me in!

:)
Dee

o

Im was just thinking it was about time to schedule the spring swap. May 7th works for me too.

Thanks Ron!

Sue

o

I would love to come to this. I don't have any plants to swap but I can bake something if you like. I make a really mean carrot cake and some awesome buffalo chip cookies. I have a small city lot here and don't have the room to grow anything extra. I have always wanted to come to one of your swaps in the past but always was kinda shy. If they made it over the winter I may have some dogwood saplings that I saved when they sprouted last year.Thanks,Richie

o

May 7th is great for me too. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Hedy

o

Sounds great to me too!

Richie - PLEASE come! Post your wish list too.

o

I am going to talk to my friend and see if he will come also. I have an area alongside the driveway on the southwest side of my house that borders my neighbors house. He recently put in a stone driveway that is just plain awful. I put up a garden fence to keep his kids out of the vegetables but now all the rocks are showing up on my side. I am not going to use that area as a veggie garden anymore anyways. The bugs have been getting worse and worse every year on the veggies so I decided to put in shrubs and perennials now. So I guess I am looking for some perennials. I have a very tiny blue prince holly that sprouted up next to the big one that I have in the front yard and also a red barberry that sprouted up in the front yard also so I will work them in too. The area is about 6-7 feet wide by about 25 feet long. I am on strike from Sikorsky now so I have to be careful not to spend too much in that area. Thanks,Richie

o
Hey Ron..question for ya?

Hey Ron,
Question for ya! I was driving up rte 6 after leaving the fleamarket at the drive in a few saturdays ago and noticed this old stone house with roman columns all over the place on the right side of rte 6 driving north or east. What's the story with that house...do you know. It looks like it was started and then someone stopped working on it. Thanks,Richie

o

Well, my daughter in law is scheduled to birth the new grand daughter a few days before that. I'll be in Charlotte that whole week to help out. Not returning til the 12th. Maybe Gary can make it. BTW, my grandson Joey (age 4) wants to name the girl Darth Vader. He went along to view the ultrsound and the ultrasound screen looked like DV (wedgeshaped)to him. Mom and Dad are considering it but are leaning more towards Olivia. /Abi

o

Great. I'm putting it on my calendar right now.

Virginia

o

Ron:

Count Rich and me in. Rich will take your good advice from Logee's and bring the truck. Not sure if we'll have anything to swap since we're in Year 2 here, but looking forward to seeing everyone and taking some stuff home! I'll bring Red Potato Salad and plastic forks.

Do wish lists go here? Yes, I'm a newbie to this swap ....

Martie and Rich

o

Always looking forward to this post! Count me in as well - May 7th works for me. I will bring Dessert(choc chip cookies) and bottles of water.

I remember from our last swap that we had an enourmous amount of plants left over at the end of the day. Someone suggested (I think it was Sue) that we should consider donating it to an organization or place that might be interested. Does anyone have any suggestions - if so we could contact them beforehand to see if they can pick it up at the end of the day. Just a thought - just seems like a waste to discard good plant material.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Liliane

o

Hi all! We're relatively new to this area (we live in Woodbury) and we bought a house whose previous owner wouldn't have known a coreopsis from a cupcake. I brought a few plants from my old North Haven home but WISH I'd brought more! Now I'm starting from scratch. I'm especially in need of forsythia, believe it or not -- not a stick on these 6.5 acres and I left a sea of it behind in my old house. Since there's virtually nothing here (not a new house but might as well be from the [non]landscaping!) I can't offer much except some wonderful very large (leaves) hostas which apparently go totally unscathed by deer -- don't know the cultivar but they definitely need dividing -- and the deer haven't touched them in two summers we've been here (is this just luck? I'm told some varieties just aren't popular with deer...). Otherwise -- I could bring food. I LOVE to bake! Please advise as to how this all works... THANKS!

o

Ron, thanks for invitation!
I'll be in if family let me go since 05/07 would be my BD, but I think I'll use that as an excuse for shopping for MY present(s). LOL.

o

ctlady, I think you have your baking assignment-a BD cake for George...lol.

Sue

o

You got it - one birthday cake coming up (how many candles?) ;)

On a more horticultural note, does it matter how we bring things -- nursery pots, bareroot, etc.? (and should I even bother bringing some of the hosta divisions? They SEEM to be completely deer-proof, but if they are likely to be an unpopular item, I won't bother. Have no idea if people come looking for particular species and cultivars or if (like me) they'll take just about anything that grows ...) Sorry for the questions -- never been to one of these before!

o

• Posted by cat2 z6 CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 12:25

I believe I can make it, and I will check with my MIL and a couple of friends who may be interested, as well. I'm sure we'll think of something to add to the picnic, too. I made some pear and green tomato chutney last fall that's good on burgers and a lemon green tomato salsa that's nice with chips (although I tend to horde those for my greedy self) that I could bring (chips too, of course!)

If the hosta are variegated, I would be interested, and I'm sure others would, too. And some people come for particular species, others for anything, and others just for the picnic and to see what everyone is sharing.

Aiger, every time my OH hears anyone is having a baby he tries to convince them to use the name Loki, but no takers yet.

o

I would like to join up with everyone and am marking my calendar. Not sure what I have to swap since we are just starting to landscape this property, but will see what we have.

o

I've still got things in pots from the fall swap, but I don't think I can pass up a chance to say howdy and see what everyone else is doing.

For newcomers, the swaps are very informal. Those who have plants to share often post lists of what's available, and if you want something, just ask, and they'll put some in used nursery pots or plastic shopping bags, depending on the plants' tolerance for rough handling, and mark it for you. I have made lists of things I promised people, as well as things people have promised to bring for me, so I don't forget to hook up with them.

Some swaps in other places are actual exchanges of similar value, but we don't really bother with that. Everyone just shares when they have extras, and if you don't make an arrangement in advance for specific plants, no worries, there will be so much extra stuff there that some will have to be thrown out. I always swear I'm not bringing anything home unless it was something I particularly wanted, but I'm always tempted by an interesting plant that I don't have. Youngs' Nursery also donates some awesome plants that are free for the taking.

If you bring plants, it helpful if you label them so others will know what they are. A popsicle stick stuck in or masking tape on the pot and permanent marker works. Even strips cut from a plastic milk jug and stuck in the pot will do.

I've filled the entire back of an SUV with plants to bring, and brought home almost as much. Some people don't have much to share, or only the more commonly available plants that we already have enough of, but there are often other newbies who can use them. Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier.
Jo

o

HI,
I don't have anything to share except maybe a batch of my buffalo chip cookies! Thanks and I can't wait to come and meet all of you. Richie

o

Bring on the basics!

Hostas, Shasta Daisies, Campanulas, Any Herbs (even mint!!), Liatris, Sedums, etc., etc., etc. (I draw the line at creeping phlox :-) We have an exposure for anything Z6-7 hardy and plenty of land to put anything in.

It's so much more fun to find and pay for the unusual than it is for the basic stuff that we all need to get things going. Rich and I are looking forward to the stuff everyone who's had a garden for three years or so is looking to dump. A treasure for us this year is anything green with good roots that will take up some room until the hardscape is set and the $$ can be spent on living material :-)

Can't wait!

Martie

o

Please count me in as well. I don't have anything to swap, but I will definitely bake something. Can't wait!

o

Thanks for the heads up!! and the e-mail too :)
I will try and get there!!

o

I'm not sure if I will make it to the swap. ego45-did the bag of pachysandra (from fall)grow for you?

o

Hi all, Amy and I were newbies last year and really had a great time. I believe that we will both be there, possibly with another friend. I don't know that I will bring any plants bc last year I don't think anyone wanted a single one of my "plain and ordinaries", but I will bring some goodies. See you all there - Sarah (and Julia too!)

o

Noticklish, pachysandra doing as good as it suppose to do, thanks.

If anyone would be interested in getting rid of pachysandra or vinca minor, you could count on me as an acceptor. Don't need to be potted, in a shopping bag would be OK.
If anyone is bringing Dicentra eximia and/or interesting ferns, keep me in mind as well.
Interested in chelone. Any, obliqua or lyonii.

I'm not sure yet what I'll bring, but now trying to root cuttings of spireas 'Goldflame', 'Magic carpet' and 'Shirobana', caryopteris 'Grand Bleu' and salix 'Hakuro Nishiki'. Hopefully by May they will be ready.
Also will have some potted peonies, but labels somehow being lost during the winter and I'm not sure what they are. Anyway, they would be the some of the common names (Edulus Superba, Karl Rosenfeld and Sarah Bernardt), nothing fancy.
Probably will bring some rooted cuttings and/or ground layered hydrangeas 'Annabelle' and 'Nikko Blue'. Maybe some of the ground layered serratas as well, but not sure if they are ready yet to be cut off or better be left till fall.
Also have to dig large variegated Euonymus fortunei as it takes a lot of ground space. Any takers?
Possibly will have some tricyrtis "Tojen' or straight T. hirta species as I have a suspicion that they seeded last year and looks like they start sprouting in unwanted spaces.
If anyone is interested, I could bring rooted climbing hydrangea as in a process of training it I have to cut several self-ground layered branches. Let me know if you have enough patience to wait 5-7 years for it to bloom, hehe.

o

I'm so excited, it looks like I'll be able to attend this event, and might even bring a friend! Still sorry I missed everyone at Logee's.

I don't have much to share as this is my first cycle through; just some orange/peach daylilies. I don't think they're 'ditch lilies' but I'm really not sure.

I look forward to meeting you all!

- Elizabeth

o

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, too (and what is the event at Logee's that several people have referred to?) Like some others, we're starting pretty much from scratch, having had to rip out the existing (deer-demolished and half dead) landscape shrubs and put in the beginnings of perennial beds. So I would be happy (and grateful!) for absolutely anything anyone has to offer -- and if anyone out there has any Dusky Challenger iris to spare/share OR forsythia (particularly Gold Tide or Spring Glory but I'll take any goldenbells anyone wants to get rid of!) I'd be thrilled. Looking forward to my first one of these!
- Marty

o

• Posted by ronr z6 ct (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 22:28

Hi all,I just wanted to chime in, I've been so busy at work I havn't had time to do anything else.
Sarah you have to come, I still have your gift cert. that you (well Julia) won last fall, I tried getting in touch with you but had no luck.
Richie, I asked around to some of the people at work who have lived in woodbury all thier lives about that castle but no one knew much about it, I guesss its always been just as it is now.
looks like were gonna have quite a little banquet (of food and plants) and a few new faces which is always nice!
see ya soon,
Ron

o

Hi everyone -

Dena and I plan to attend. It was such a great time last fall. Most of the plants we put in "took" at our new place and are growing. I'm not sure what food we'll bring this time, I think we brought chicken for the grill last time.

I uncovered my winter dormancy bed today and things look good, so I should have at least a few pitcher plants and venus flytraps for the swap. I'm going to try to start some Datura seeds, and some Brugmansia cuttings so keep your fingers crossed!!

Anyone interested in Jasmine officinalis (another tropical)? If so, I'll start cuttings of that too.

We do have a vermicomposting bin so if anyone is starting one and wants some red wigglers let me know and I'll bring them to the swap. Finished vermicompost is just amazing stuff.

Bill

o

Bill - I'll take some worms! I tried vermicomposting once before and have recently been thinking of trying again - so nice timing.

George - I'm interested in some tricyrtis. I'll bring you lots of pachysandra and maybe some vinca. We are having sewers put in on my street and the workmen have totally trashed an area where ferns were. I'll have to go and see if any survivied. They haven't started coming up yet. Are you still avoiding Xmas fern?

ctlady - in January a large group of us went to Logee's greenhouses for a tour and then to lunch. It was lots of fun.

Deb

o

Bill: Thought of you at Logee's when there was a sign next to the Venus Fly Traps that said: "Nothing says Happy Holidays like a carnivorous plant." Hope your convention and the Logee's trip don't bump next year!! Looking forward to meeting you at Ron's.

Fear not, everyone, we'll take whatever you bring. Those who met us know that we ripped out about 45 20-year-old shrubs of ill repute and expanded/added a bunch of beds in a new home two seasons ago. Hardscaping will be 90% complete in May and now it's the plants' turn to shine!! It would be well into the five figures to purchase even starter plants to take away the bare look, and Rich is taking Ron seriously and bringing the big truck to the swap!!

We are incredibly grateful for the opportunity, and because of the way the beds are configured drifting plants is possible. Thus, bring on your "plain and ordinaries" without fear of them being tossed. We can truly use just about anything perennial at this point EXCEPT creeping phlox.

EXAMPLE: Plans call for two 37' lengths of interplanted Cerastrum along a path = 80 plants.

SEE? We're not kidding. LOL

Martie

o

Deb, tricyrtis is yours.
In May I'll be not able to tell which variety it would be since only leaves will be present, but since they bloom in their first year, by September, you'll know.
Yes, I do have plenty of my own X-mas ferns.

o

Bill, if you have any extra worms I'd love some too. I've only done regular composting but wanted to try vermicomposting too. I also have lots of pachysandra for you George. I'm taking inventory and will come up with a list soon. If anyone is looking for something specific you should post it in case someone has some to share.

Hedy

o

Does anyone have trollius-globeflower or chelone-turtlehead in any color? I have a damp area that needs a few flowering plants. I would also like to try and grow some toadlillies.
I'll be bringing some "common" plants if I make it. Right now we are still party planning for a family member's birthday around that time.

o

I invited a few folks from the Manchester Garden Club, they would be happy to take anything left over.

We were really sorry to have missed the Logees trip - it sounded great. We have a lot things from there & can't wait to get them outside. We just put the brugmansias outside today.

I'll make sure to bring some containers of the red wigglers. There's a ton of info over on the vermicomposting forum. We started our worm bin with a rubbermaid bin and the bedding made of shredded newspaper and peat moss.

o

• Posted by cat2 z6 CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 12:33

Bill, I bet this is one of the few parties you can go to where everyone is happy about worms showing up! :)

I, too, would love to try my hand at vermicomposting and would appreciate a few wigglers to start out.

And, George, if a lot of extras do show up for you, I'd like some toad lilies, either kind or both would be great!

Not everything is up for me, yet, and after next week I'm not sure I'll be able to sign on anymore since the homecomputer is often on the fritz. If so, it'll be under a new name. I'm waiting to see what comes up- there are some things that are too small for me to tell, yet.

o

As long as it stays sunday the 7th,I should make it. Bill- if you have enough wigglers, please put me on the list for a "can of worms". My son's teacher is looking for a used worm farm, so I thought I would make one.

o

Hi all. Definitely looking forward to joining you with Sarah and little Julia again this year. Martie, if you're in need of "ordinary" plants, what are your feelings on "spread like crazy" plants? I've got a soft spot for those, and would gladly bring some pots for you--monarda, lemon balm, gooseneck loostrife, campanula, etc. I realize most won't want these, but I've found them extremely helpful in filling a large garden relatively quickly (and cheaply!). I'll be sure to bring goodies to share, and look forward to seeing you all again.

PS-Bill, I'd love to have some worms. I'm doing my best to keep your persian shield from last fall alive, and would love some tips at the swap (provided it should live that long!!).

o

re: gooseneck loostrife
Will it bloom in a quite shade?
A lot of sun in a spring and only 1-1.5 hours of afternoon sun in a summer.
I have a well contained area of 10-12 sf where I don't mind to have a spreader. Pachysandra will be a competitor.

o

Heirloomany -

I brought our Persian Shield in for the winter, and took several cuttings. The cuttings did fine, but the main plant dropped all its leaves then it flowered. Weird. It looked like sticks with flowers. Now it has tiny growth of leaves at the base.

I may do the bring it in and outdoors thing until it's warmer. Minimum temp it can take is supposed to be 55 degrees. Hope this helps!!

o

George, Yes, the gooseneck should do nicely in the area you describe. I have them in pretty much similar circumstances (full sun now, but when trees leaf out they will only get a few hours of late afternoon sun). I'll be happy to dig some for you if you'd like. They're only little red shoots poking their heads now, but in a few weeks I expect they'll be more substantial (though I confess I've never tried transplanting them...they did however appear clear across the yard somehow. I really pray the underground roots didn't reach 200 yards!)

Bill--Sounds like my persian shield is acting just like yours! I'd kept your cutting in the bottle you'd provided, and it grew a very healthy root system. It continued to produce leaves and flowers---until I potted it up! Then all the leaves fell off, but yes, I did still get a flower or two. I'm hoping it'll last till I can bring it out. I've got a friend who keeps hers over winter inside, and of course it's in full leaf and flower all winter long. She's got it in a pretty sunny window so maybe that's the key (mine gets indirect bright light).

o

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to get most of my spring plant moves done so I can see what I'll have available for the swap. Right now the list looks somewhat like this...nothing fancy.

Daylilies

Stella D'oro
Black eyed Stella
Happy Returns

Old fashioned green and white hosta
Other hostas-some named, some not
Rudbeckia
Echinacea-probably Magnus
Becky shasta daisy
Helenium Mardi Gras and maybe Coppelia
Herrenhausen Oregano
Geranium 'Biokovo'
Sedum Autumn Joy
ground cover mums 'White Bomb'
Tricyrtis latifolia
Lysimachia Alexander
maybe some Perovskia if I can successfully dig and pot it
Persicaria 'Painters Pallette'
depending on what sprouts I ought to have some Canna Tropicanna and a few others
Maybe some rooted divisions of Hydrangea 'Annabelle'

I'm sure the list will grow as I work around the garden more. In some cases I may only have one of something. If you are looking for something specific, ask.

Sue

o

Sue, i'll take Tricyrtis latifolia.
If you are interested, I may divide clamp of Tricyrtis macropoda (maculata?) 'Tricolor'. Otherwise I'll leave it alone for another year.
If you'd have a several divisions of Blackeyed Stella, I'll take them all for some group planting.

o

Sue,
I'd love some of your Biokovo Geraniums, and some of the Autumn Joy and White Bomb mums as well (trying for the full season display!). Thanks! Amy

o

ego45-I can give you more pachysandra if you want.
vtskiers- what plants are you looking for? I am interested in quite a few from your list of extras- canna tropicanna, helenium (any), magnus coneflower, russian sage, 1 happy returns,1 black eyed stella.

Does anyone have an extra hosta :"RYAN'S Big One"?

o

So far I'm bringing:

penstemon grandiflora
assorted columbines
nepeta subsessilis (tall catmint)
geranium seedlings (I think 'jester's jacket')
heuchera palace purple
I'll add to it as I find more things.

George are you interested in phlox divaricata for the shade? (plus more pachysandra) If you still have the peony 'Sarah Bernhardt" I'd love a piece.

Sue, I'd love a rhizome of Tropicana too. I bought canna Ambassador (very dark foliage but only 3' tall). Would you be interested?

Last fall, I lost much of my water garden (variegated iris, marsh marigold, primula etc.) during torrential rains. So if anyone has bog plants I'd be interested.

Hedy

o

Hedy,
re: bog plants. Not this spring, but remind me the next one or maybe in upcoming fall. I have two clumps of Iris ensata (Electric Ray and Good Omen) which would definitely could use some divisions, but I'm not going to do that this spring.
Phlox divaricata, what color?
Peony 'SB'. I have three potted plants, but tags had been misplaced, so I have no clue which one is one.

Everyone, I could take as much of pachysandra and lily of the valley as you are willing to get rid of. Thank you in advance.

o

George, I have some Dicentra eximia for you. I'm not sure what else I have yet, most of my dividing is done but as people post wish lists I can look around...

Hedy, I'd love some penstemon, I had that in my shopping cart at bluestone.com and then removed it, and I am regretting it!

tina

o

George I'll bring a big clump of the Black Eyed Stella. It should be good for 4 or 5 divisions. This particular variety is a fast clumper. I already have plenty of the Tricolor Tricyrtis, thanks. It hasn't been a vigorous grower for me but I do like the foliage.

Hedy I'm always interested in canna-especially the dark foliage varieties. I got my Brent & Becky's order yesterday-looks like I'd better devote some time to potting up canna tubers this weekend.

Noticklish, I'm not looking for anything really. This year I'm shuffling the gardens around, trying to get everything I have in the best possible spot. Then maybe I can get an idea of what space I have left, if any, and in what conditions.

Sue

o

So far, May 7th looks like a great day for the swap :-) Everything is the weekend before that.

Dee, I am going to dig up Hebe's Lip for you this afternoon. I promise. It's been on the to-do list for a month, and I'm really going to do it today.

If anybody else is interested in hardy roses, I can bring R. eglanteria, R. glauca, and the Apothecary Rose, among other things.

I have some blooming size Salvia patens if anybody is interested in those. I think they are hardy to zone 8.

Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Kay

o

Tina, thanks. I'm counting on that eximia.
Sue, big clump is great, I'll divide it.

o

Just wanted to say again that I will take ABSOLUTELY anything that people have to spare and can recommend for this area (we moved here from the CT shoreline and both temperatures and deer populations are a little different, so I'm still trying to figure out what I can put in, how close to the house something is "safe", etc.) Wish I had things to share but I'm pretty much starting from scratch, except for a few things I dug from my old house plus a few I bought last spring at the Glebe House sale (wish I'd known about this swap then!) Next year!

Kay - are rugosas deer resistant? I'd read differing opinions on that. I put in one r. 'Alba' last summer (which suffered no damage) but would love more (other colors) if they won't encourage my friends in the woods to venture closer ... we have a lot of deer but I haven't seen any post-winter damage (and even then, primarily the various euonymous forms that are here, some very old climbing varieties that I presume get stripped bare every year -- doesn't seem to bother them, they just leaf out again in spring).

Anyway, I will gladly take anything anyone has extra, but can't really post a wish list because I need so much and I don't really know what does well up here. "Ordinaries" are particularly welcome! Still looking for forsythia, would love a flowering quince if anyone's getting rid of one, etc.

Looking forward to May 7 and to meeting all of you! / Marty

o

Hi all,
not sure what Gary is going to bring yet but we need plants for shade and semi shade. Ferns, hostas, daisys, sedum, toad lily, anything unusual. Kay, I can always find a little more sun for Apothacary rose. Sorry I can't make it but Gary is looking forward to seeing you again. Just a bit of warning, he has lost almost 125 lbs so you may not recognize him. /Abi

o

Hey all. Can I come too? Voles destroyed my gardens a few years ago so I haven't much (if anything) to bring, things are not even back to normal here, but I'd love to come for the chat and food and to see what everyone has. Do we come alone? With family? Kids? (Mine are 11 and 13).
Patty

o

LOL, Kay, I can't believe you remembered Hebe's Lip - I almost forgot about it, lol! But thank you. I will be looking forward to it.

I've been glancing through what I have and it seems to be not a whole heck of a lot. I can bring some named daylilies, which I need to divide; some dwarf purple iris; some unknown/un-named hosta; perhaps some daisies that need dividing; some columbine, and I think that's it. Mostly daylilies!

George, were you looking for green and white hostas awhile back? I have some that came with my house, so I don't know what they are. I plan on digging them up because they are in full sun next to a much-used walkway, so they get abused, and you're welcome to some if you are still looking. The leaves are white-centered with green edges, although I did notice they lose their variegation in the sun. I moved some to a shady spot a few years ago, though, and those seem to hold their color. Let me know if you'd like some.

Abi, sorry you won't be able to make it, but glad that Gary is up and about, and it will be good to see him.

Marty, I can bring you some forsythia cuttings if you'd like, for rooting. I root my cuttings every spring and add forsythia bushes all around my yard. Just say the word and I'll bring a bunch.

Patty feel free to come with the kids. My 13-year-old son has come for the last few times and I'm always happily surprised when he asks to come along!

I guess I gotta get busy digging and dividing - May 7th is just around the corner!

Dee

o

Belated but here ...

Amy: Yes, spreaders are great at this point, particularly any color Monarda you have. Gooseneck is also welcome. Campanula are my closet secret fav perennial, so bring'em on.

Sue: I'll take particular dibs on some Stella D'Oro, Becky daisy, Biokovo geranium and will clean up anything else that is left :-)

Kay: One big facet of our new landscape is a Hardy Rose border that will serve to shield a view of a neighbor's very large work truck. We lucked out with near perfect hardy rose conditions in that spot. Thus, anything would be welcome, and Rich has agreed to extend the length of the border if need be. Thank You So Much! Also, the herb garden doesn't seem complete without an Apothecary.

Marty: Two Marty/ies in one place???? This will be a trip!!! LOL Maybe you can be known as "Y" and I can be known as "IE." If I haven't said it before, welcome to Connecticut and our novel gardening atmosphere. A great thing about this state is it's worth it to try anything at least once in the ground because microclimates abound. I know what's it's like to leave an established landscape -- It's great fun, though, to start over knowing what you know now :-)

What I have to offer (from my Mom's 40 year old garden):

"Heirloom" shrub base rootings:
-purple and white lilac, very tall, that smell better than ANY hybrid

- an orange/red/yellow azalea-leaved 15' tall not-gangly plant that may really be a Chaenomeles sport (I'm counting on George to help with ID)

- divisions of real rhubarb

Also have an overabundance of alpine strawberry seedlings (Pinetree red variety) that will be just large enough to go into the ground in two weeks. Ditto Lollo Rossa lettuce (Pinetree).

AND: Must've missed some spreading Juniper roots when we yanked and have numerous babies that MUST come out. These get 20' long in 15 years so place carefully. Who wants them?

Am also still planning on red potato salad and plastic forks unless Ron needs something else more.

Really looking forward to this.

Best to all --

Martie

o

Dee -- I'll take forsythia in any form! Cuttings would be great (I need to cover an entire embankment eventually -- way more than I can afford to purchase!) Thanks!

Martie -- you're right about the microclimates! We're actually not from out of state (we moved from the New Haven area), but we've been astonished at how different climate conditions are up here! (Not to mention deer "issues") One thing we have most enjoyed about our move "upstate" is discovering how different this part of the state is from the shoreline (amazing considering how small the state is). BUT... I had read up on deer before we moved and made a conscious decision NOT to bring any of the many daylilies, iris, asiatic lilies, etc. from my old house. But it appears that people grow all of those up here with no problem, so I'm kicking myself...! (And if no one else wants those heirloom lilac cuttings, I'd love a few!)

(Oh, and if anyone has ornamental grasses -- especially TALL ones -- they need to divide, we could use some to screen a McMansion that has been built next door. We put in three 20-foot Norway spruces (from Young's!) but need much, MUCH more to block the view!)

This sounds like so much fun! Looking forward to it! / Marty

o

George, the phlox divaricata is "lodden blue", a soft blue. I also have lily of the valley for you.

Tina, I'll bring some penstemon for you.

Sue, I have 3 nice canna rhizomes for you. They're a little smaller thaan the big varieties.

I also have a few of these:
campanula latifolia
agastache blue fortune
crocosmia lucifer

Does anyone want a small seedling of white pine or holly?

I'm looking for daylilies this year. I'm going to spray for deer so I'll be able to see the flowers.

Hedy

o

I have some 1 year old dogwoods that I have potted up if anyone is interested. Let me know. Richie

o

Wow, by the look of things we may just have the best turnout at a plant swap yet. Even if I had no plants I'd just show up with some food and drink for the fun...lol. BTW, my plan is to bake Whoopie Pies.

Yesterday I hauled all my stored canna tubers out of storage and started potting them up. Some stuff rotted but if everything I salvaged sprouts I should have a few extra Tropicanna and Pretoria. By swap time they will already be leafing out.

Martie, I've got you covered. If you need more, you are certainly welcome to come to my house with a shovel and prospect. Deanne did that last year.

Sue

o

Richie, I would love a dogwood if you have enough. I've been thinking of buying one, so this will save me the trouble (and cost!). Thanks!

Dee

o

Richie, I'd also love a dogwood. I miss the one I had at my other house.

Hedy

o

OK,I have them potted and in the ground from last year and will dig them up. They survived the winter. The are about 8"-10" tall. I hope that is ok for you all. Thanks,Richie

o

Ok, weather's supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll be digging some Monarda and Gooseneck Loosestrife, Campanula, and I'll bring on some Lemon Balm for the brave (it really is lovely, in scent and form, though it truly is a gift that keeps on giving!!).

Kay, if you've got enough apothecary roses (or any others for that matter) to go around I'd love to take one home.

Hedy, I'd like to try your campanula as well. I'm not sure what kind I have (will bring for Martie and others) as I purchased a tiny pot at a local plant sale that was unnamed. It's maroon with white spots, could be cherry bells. All I know is it spread like wild fire!

A

o

George do you want the phlox divaricata?

Hedy

o

I would like umm...more plastic pots please. Gallon or smaller are best.

Our Garden Mart Mother's Day Plant sale is planned for May 13th on the green in Easton.

Virginia

o

Virginia, I still have lots of pots but most are one gallon and larger. I'll poke around and try to collect the smallest ones for you.

Sue

o

Virginia:

I have bunches of plastic pots from 4" to gallon size and will be glad to get them out of my garage and into yours!!

Martie

o

I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it to the swap, as I'm fostering rescue dogs and no one will be home to tend to them if I go. One in particular can't be left alone, and he's afraid of strangers.

Just in case, if anyone wants to look at my trade list and request divisions, I'll dig up some stuff during the week and try to make it. I'd hate to miss it.
Jo

o

Hi Jo -- I'm new to this swap but hope to meet you Sunday! If you do make it, I would love to have some of the creeping thyme (I planted some last year but don't see any sign that it is coming back this year), and any (I mean ANY!) iris you'd like to share, particularly bearded ones. Hope to see you!

Marty

o

I would like a few irises if anyone has some to give away. Thanks,Richie

o

Let me first say I really don't have anything to trade... However, I would be interested in some monarda and some irises... I have tons of dutch irises, but only a handful of bearded and siberian varieties...

Can't wait!

o

Waah! I want to be there so badly; I've been looking forward it so much. But, of course, my large family has cooked up something for that weekend; a birthday party for my 8 year-old niece and nephew, in Massachusetts, on Saturday night. My kids love nothing more than big get-togethers with their cousins. Geez. Looks like we're heading up to Mass for the weekend. Waah. Have fun. Hopefully I can come next time.

Patty (heartsick over the wonderful plants and chat she'll miss out on)

o

Jo, I've got a rescue foster right now too. She's been adopted and her new family wants to pick her up on Sunday. I'm going to push them off to Sunday afternoon and just stay at the swap for a few hours.

Adding to my list:

Carex Ice Dance
One division of Miscanthis Morning Light
One division of Calamagrostis Karl Forster
Siberian Iris Gull's Wing
Aster Fanny and maybe some Purple Dome
Nepeta Walkers not so Low
Lychnis coronaria

No Helenium, Perovskia unfortunately...

Time permittimg, I may only bring what people have asked for so if you see something on my list that you know you want, speak up.

Sue

o

Hi Sue,

If no one else speaks for them, I'd love either of the ornamental grasses -- Karl Forster is one I've been eyeing in catalogues but I'm going to go look up Morning Light as well.

Looking forward to it!

Marty

o

Sue, I'd love the carex. I'm also looing for some sweet woodruff.

Hedy

o

Ask and you shall receive, Hedy. I've been ripping Galium out by the handfulls in one of my shade gardens where it took over almost overnight.

I've got tons of the carex too-it's stoloniferous but not so much so that I would call it aggressive-good for dry shade. I've also got another stoloniferous carex-C. siderosticha 'Variegata' that could use some thinning.

Marty, the grasses are yours. I may also have some Miscanthus 'Strictus' since I'm removing one for good-not enough sun. It will depend on how badly I have to hack at it to get it out.

Sue

o

I have lots of dry shade, if you have any of the Carex to spare, Sue, I'd love to have some. Maybe I'll just have to bring the nervous dog with me, and not stay too long for the others left at home. I've got the anxious Shih Tzu or Lhasa mix, and a Pom from a puppy mill - he's adorable-- plus my two tzus.

o

Sue - if you have any Carex Ice Dance left for me I'd love it. Sweet Woodruff would be great too.
Deb

o

Sue -- thanks! That would be fantastic -- my horticulturist brother took one look at our Woodbury house when we bought it 1.5 years ago and said "you need ornamental grasses!" so any and all are greatly appreciated! We're new to this part of the state and I'm new to ornamental grasses altogether, but I assume they'll do well along the edge of a meadow in full sun, right?
Marty

o

I have lots of evening primrose, bee balm (red and purple), anise hyssop, creeping myrtle, groundcover daylillies, hemlock trees and forsythia. Does this interest anyone? I am looking for white liatris, plants for a water garden, especially lotus, but any would be good, astilbe, pulmonaria, ornamental grasses, margoram, vegetables, annuals, etc. Leah

o

I see all of a sudden a lot of takers for Carex 'Ice dance'.
Good choice!
I still remember like last fall I brought 5 or 6 divisions of it and was trying to 'sell' it to the public. LOL.
Great plant for dry(ish) shade, but will spread very fast in wet/moist shade conditions and especially in cultivated beds with a loose soil. Will be less agressive in a native clay. Easy to control, though.
If Sue will be not able to satisfy all of you in a spring, remind me in a fall, there will be no shortage of it.

o

Sue: I'd love some of the Siberian Iris.

TO GIVE: Going to dig Lilac and tall yellow/orangish heirloom mystery shrub on Saturday. So far only have Marty has a taker. Any others?

AND: If anyone is keeping a head count, Rich won't be with me on Sunday. A potential client appt wins out. He asked that someone keep an eye on the back of the truck so that it doesn't exceed the 2 ton limit :-)

Martie

o

Sue, I know I'm a bit down the list, but I would love some sweet woodruff if you have any left. I lost all my newly-planted woodruff last summer in the drought.

Thanks,
Dee

o

Hi-
I am new to this swap, but it sounds wonderful! Would people like potatoes ready to plant? I'll have to see what else I can find to bring........ For lunch I will make a big spring salad.
Elaine

o

Marty, yes the grasses love full sun. I live in an established shady lot so it's hard to grow the large Miscanthus cultivars well.

I should have plenty of the Carex 'Ice Dance'. I guess I'd better start making a list of what I've promised to everyone.

Sue

o

Leah -- If you've got forsythia (or forsythia cuttings, as Dee so kindly offered), I'd love some. I'm trying to cover an embankment so I need as much as I can get my hands on!

I'm still planning to bring a cake (George's birthday cake, I believe!) unless something different (or additional?) is needed...

Marty

o

Martie, 'tall yellow/orangish heirloom mystery shrub'.
Yellow leaved or yellow flowering?
Wild guess, Sambucus canadensis/American elder 'Aurea'?
At this point I'm clueless, but I'm sure our host Ron will be able to ID it.
Put me as a tentative taker on it if it is indeed 'Aurea'. It could be a perfect pollinator for my 'Sutherland Gold'.
BTW, sambucus could be cut to any manageable height for the transportation purpose with no ill effect to the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: sambucus

o

George: The Mystery Shrub, I believe, is either an Azalea or a Chaenomeles. It has elongated, smooth edged leaves; not dentate. The flowering is much more cupped than any Sambucus I've seen and the shrub is tall (almost 18' mature), not rounded in habit. I'll bring some babies (already about 12" new growth this year) and we can have our own version of Name That Plant :-) You may want one to grow on -- it's really quite stunning whatever it is.

Martie

o

Martie, just for the record.
There are two sambucuses called 'Aurea', one is S. canadensis or S. nigra with regular leaves and another S. racemosa plumosa with dentate/cut leaves.
Both plants have a large leaves and definitely not 'an azalea' type, so i'm looking forward to ID it.
See you on Sunday.

o

Can't wait until Sunday.

ElaineCT - We'd love some of the potato starts.

Also, if anyone has some Salvia or other Hummingbird attracting plants that would be awesome.

We planted 6 pots of Datura metel "alba" (3 seeds to a gallon pot) but they have not yet come up. Keep your fingers crossed. The parent plant was a beauty from Logees with double white flowers.

We have one rooted Brugmansia - not sure what color. Does anyone want us to set it aside?

Also, one rooted "Evening Fragrance Jasmine" that's been growing outdoors for a few weeks.

George, we have Pachysandra and Lily of the Valley we'll dig out for you.

Bill & Dena

o

The excitement is building! Bill & Dena--would love the Brug if you don't have any other takers. And Elaine--I'd love some potatoes for planting!

I've got some 12" rose of sharon volunteers if anyone's interested (to continue with my theme of plants that take over your garden...).

Best, Amy

o

The excitement certainly IS building -- and the weather sounds (thankfully!) as if it will be beautiful, too!

Amy, I'd love one of your Rose of Sharon volunteers if you end up with one to spare...

- Marty

o

Hi Everyone! I think we will be coming. We may not get there until a bit later. (I'm having a sleepover for daughter's birthday) My name is Sheryl and dh is Dave. We have a lot of lily of the valley coming up so we will bring that and I will make something good to eat!! I also have some extra herbs, pots, garden misc. Look forward to meeting you nice people-we're looking for any extras to fill up our garden. becky daisy, echinacea, etc.

o

• Posted by
    cat-2 6
    (gw:cat-2) on
    Sat, May 6, 06 at 14:29

Well, iVillage won't let me login through Mozilla, so I'm going through the Yahoo connection for one quick posting. Kathy and I will definitely be coming tomorrow, and there are two others who may join us, one depending on schedule and the other depending on how she feels since she's pregnant with twins.

Kathy will definitely have some heirloom roses, ferns, and probably many other things including comfrey and I'm not sure what, in addition to some home-made potato-egg salad.

I will probably have some of the following- if you specifically want something, go ahead and post it as I will check later today and tomorrow morning and mark specific items even though I probably won't post any more comments.

sedum - golden carpet
sempervivum - hens-n-chicks
artemisia - Silver King (I think)
solidago
ranunculus - not sure
pentsemmon - white
creeping flox (pink)
dianthus (various pink, white)
yarrow - paprika
lily of the valley
eurybia divaricata
monarda
day lilies
violets
morning glory (white fading to pink center)

possibly cuttings from:
miniature parade roses (pink, red, lavender)
angel wing begonia (pink)
hydrangea (endless summer) -maybe, it's barely started to come up

And I may bring seeds in case anyone wants some that I have plenty of, like marigold and morning glory, or to trade.

That's all I can think of right now. I may have a bit of clematis, too, but I can't remember which ones I planted where last year, so maybe I should wait until they've grown and flowered for a season.

We'll probably get there around 10:30 or 11:00. Hope to see you all there!

Cathy

o
RE: oops

• Posted by
    cat-2
    (gw:cat-2) on
    Sat, May 6, 06 at 14:36

I forgot to mention that I'd love to trade heirloom or o.p. tomato and pepper seeds, if anyone else is interested, so I will bring those for sure.

o

I have my cookies all baked and ready for tomorrow and bringing along some 1 year old dogwood trees,2 flowering almond, & rudbeckia. Really looking forward to this! Richie

o

Cathy: Semps!! I was hoping someone would have some. Thanks! I also have ornamental peppers seeds (a fellow GWer sent Too Many!!) if you want a bit of a diversion.

Marty: A purple lilac has your name on it.

Also have two white heirloom lilacs and an additional purple. Very tall and true lilac scent; heavy flowering.

I'm convinced the Mystery Shrub is some kind of old quince. The flowering has faded to a dusty apricot color; the leaves are about 2" oblong and opposite. I have one from last year in the ground that started at 12" and is now over my head and throwing shoots like crazy. Here, it will be used as a focal speciman. The shoot I took from the momma has lots branches for propagating.

So looking forward to this ..

Martie

o

Well, the Daturas never came up so we are not bringing those - I know they'll come up next week or so, right?

We dug the pachysandra and lily of the valley for George, and I've started harvesting some of the worms from the compost bins for Cloud9, Casey1, Cat2, noticklish, and heirloomany.

We are bringing an "evening fragrance jasmine", maybe a couple of Persian Shield plants, a brugmansia for heirloomany, two yellow pear tomato plants, and maybe a few other things.

Tonight I'm baking bread or bread rolls - Maple Pecan Cranberry, and Pumpernickel Raisin.

Should be a great time tomorrow.

Bill

o

Does anyone want L. squamigera? I could dig some tomorrow morning but I don't want to unless someone definitely wants them.

George, your Dicentra is dug and waiting.

I also have obedient plant, and white yarrow.

I'll be there with my friend Marilyn again, I can see her out the window digging up bamboo right now!

tina

o

Phew! I think I've got everything everybody asked for and then some. I tried to bring extra of everything but lost track of what I had. There may be a few additional things I haven't listed as I was prospecting the garden and came across odds and ends. At any rate, it's all tagged and I have my list of who wanted what. After dinner I'll bake the whoopie pies. The family who is adopting my rescue dog will be here between 8 and 8:30 and I'll leave for the swap after that. Hopefully I will get there somewhere around 10.

See you all tomorrow!

Sue

o

Can't wait till tomorrow! My cousin Adela will be coming with me as usual. Unfortunately, I had planned on bringing some named daylilies, but they seem to be doing poorly. I'm afraid they may have that daylily wilt or whatever that problem is, so I only have one division of one daylily. :(

Martie, I would love one of those white lilacs, if they haven't been claimed yet.

Sue, my son is debating whether to come or not, and the deciding factor may just be your whoopie pies, lol!

Dee

o

Dee, tell him I'm heading for the kitchen as we speak...lol.

Sue

o

Tina,
if it's not too late for you to make a plans, I'll take as many L. squamigera as you will be able to dig.
TIA.

o

I had a hunch you'd take some George! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing Martie's Mystery Shrub! Almost as much as I am looking forward to Sue's Whoopie Pies. See everyone tomorrow!

tina

o

As a newbie swapper, wanted to be amongst the first to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Ron and son, Young's, all the veterans who brought plants and just knew what I'd love, all the other newbies and good cooks who put together a fantastic lunch; for acknowledgement from George that yes the Mystery Plant is a quince. What wine!!!!!

Today was just glorious ...

Martie

o

I just want to thank everyone for the nice time. This was a first me and my friend Ray and we had a nice time. It was nice to meet everyone too! HAPPY PLANTING! Richie

o

Thanks to all, but especially Ron and Young's for another wonderful swap. Good food, good talk, fun plants, lovely setting and more amazing weather! It was great seeing faces old and new. We even managed to sing happy birthday to George in tune!

Deb

o

A quick note to thank everyone (and especially Ron and Young's) for a terrific swap -- it was our first such experience, and we'll definitely be back! Came home and started planting (special thanks to everyone who "tagged" things for me!) and found myself making mental notes of what will be ready for dividing in the fall or next spring... it will be fun to garden with sharing in mind!

Thanks, all! / Marty

o

Even though I got there late, I too had a great time. Thank you everyone! Good growing to all of you!

Virginia

o

Sounds like everyone had a great time, sorry I missed it this time. Too much going on here at home to get away today. Will we be planning a midsummer get-together again this year?
Jo

o

Well, Jo, Sue did invite us all to George's again this summer, lol! George didn't seem to mind, so hopefully we can all get together again!

Ron, I realized after I left that I didn't say a proper thank you to you, so please excuse my bad manners and accept my thanks for once again hosting a wonderful time for all of us.

What glorious weather we had, and as usual, the company was top-notch!

Thanks to everyone for a great time!

Dee

o

Thanks Ron, and Young's, and all of you generous swappers! Once again, I left with plants, knowledge, and this time, a first, the taste of Georgian wine on my tongue! Thank you all, and hope to see you in the fall (or mid-summer??)! I promise to do a better job of "tagging" next time or, better yet, bring more of everything!
Ron--I hope Brody was able to bring SOMETHING home!!!

Amy

o

Yeah, Jo, you did miss a good time-lots of nice new people and all the nice old people too. Pencil in that last weekend in June on your calendar for the Oliver's sale/George's pool party. Perhaps you could put George in touch with your SIL for some party advice (wink, wink) lol

Ron, thanks again for a very successful swap. It was fun seeing everyone as usual and even more fun being able to chat plants for hours with people whose eyes don't glaze over.

Sue

o

Thank you Ron, Young's, and all the CT gardenweb swappers for such a wonderful day! I had a great time meeting all of you, and thank you for the wonderful plants.

George, thank you for the advice about the bloodmeal.

Deb, what can I say, THANK YOU!

o

Thank you so much for a fun first swap. I just wanted to let you know that we really had a nice time and loved Young's Nursery. What beautiful weather and we really enjoyed meeting everyone. I would be happy to bring more hydrangea and bearded irises next time along with other perennial divisions. Just be sure to let us know!! Again thank you everyone for a wonderful day. Sheryl (Sladybug and dh Dave)

o

It was so terrific to see all the familiar faces again and to meet some new ones today! Thank you so much to you all, so generous and giving, who made this event possible, yet again.

I am so delighted when I think of all the amazing things we accomplish and create with the internet and gardenweb!

I hope to see you again in June- if it's a go.

Happy Gardening!

-Dena (WildBill's wife) ;)

o

Thank you again Ron for being such a gracious host. The weather was glorious, the food was excellent and the company was the best. I second Sue's comment that it's wonderful to meet people and talk plants without their eyes glazing over.

I love walking in my garden and seeing all the plants I've gotten at these swaps through the years. I'll try to take pictures. I'm already looking forward to the next swap and seeing what'll be big enough to bring. George, maybe you could celebrate your half birthday so we could have more wine?

Hedy

o

How many people turned up for the swap? Any photos to share? Waaahh, I missed it!
Jo

o

I didn't see any cameras and forgot mine :(. Just a guess, but throughout the day I would say we had 30-40 people.

Sue

o

Hi all, sorry it has taken me so long, but wanted to thank everyone, especially Ron for a great swap. I had a great time and hope to come back in the fall with a much smaller belly!!! I have already planted most of the plants that I came home with and hope that they haven't washed away with all this rain!! Have a great summer! Sarah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here