Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronr_gw

wanted: ct. spring swap '06

ronr
18 years ago

Anyone up for another ct. swap? Spring is finally here and I'm thinkin' we should start getting ready for the spring plant swap.

I'd ideally like to have the swap on Sunday may 7, starting around 10:00 am. Hopefully that works for the majority.

I'll probably set things up just like I have in the past...the free raffle,hamburgs,dogs,etc.

for anyone that has not already attended one of our swaps but is interested,feel free to chime in,everyone and anyone is invited (wether your from CT. or not),if your just starting your garden and don't have anything to swap don't worry about it,we always have plenty of plants to go around,so come on out and we'll help you get the garden started. once again the nursery has donated a $50.00 gift certificate for the free raffle and has offered a 25% discount on all plants to anyone involved in the swap. pets and children are certainly welcome,the swap is held right on a pond so the kids can go fishin',feed hay to the oxen,or whatever.

As far as lunch goes I'll bring hamburgers,hotdogs,soda,rolls etc. and the rest will be potluck style,so if you've got a favorite dish bring it along!

oh yea, the address...Youngs Nursery, 130 Washington Rd. ( Rt. 47) in Woodbury CT. about 3 or 4 miles south of the woodbury ski area.

Hope to see you all there...

Ron

Comments (121)

• Flwr_Zab_z5a
    17 years ago

Let me first say I really don't have anything to trade... However, I would be interested in some monarda and some irises... I have tons of dutch irises, but only a handful of bearded and siberian varieties...

Can't wait!

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Waah! I want to be there so badly; I've been looking forward it so much. But, of course, my large family has cooked up something for that weekend; a birthday party for my 8 year-old niece and nephew, in Massachusetts, on Saturday night. My kids love nothing more than big get-togethers with their cousins. Geez. Looks like we're heading up to Mass for the weekend. Waah. Have fun. Hopefully I can come next time.

Patty (heartsick over the wonderful plants and chat she'll miss out on)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Jo, I've got a rescue foster right now too. She's been adopted and her new family wants to pick her up on Sunday. I'm going to push them off to Sunday afternoon and just stay at the swap for a few hours.

Adding to my list:

Carex Ice Dance
    One division of Miscanthis Morning Light
    One division of Calamagrostis Karl Forster
    Siberian Iris Gull's Wing
    Aster Fanny and maybe some Purple Dome
    Nepeta Walkers not so Low
    Lychnis coronaria

No Helenium, Perovskia unfortunately...

Time permittimg, I may only bring what people have asked for so if you see something on my list that you know you want, speak up.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Sue,

If no one else speaks for them, I'd love either of the ornamental grasses -- Karl Forster is one I've been eyeing in catalogues but I'm going to go look up Morning Light as well.

Looking forward to it!

Marty

• casey1gw
    17 years ago

Sue, I'd love the carex. I'm also looing for some sweet woodruff.

Hedy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ask and you shall receive, Hedy. I've been ripping Galium out by the handfulls in one of my shade gardens where it took over almost overnight.

I've got tons of the carex too-it's stoloniferous but not so much so that I would call it aggressive-good for dry shade. I've also got another stoloniferous carex-C. siderosticha 'Variegata' that could use some thinning.

Marty, the grasses are yours. I may also have some Miscanthus 'Strictus' since I'm removing one for good-not enough sun. It will depend on how badly I have to hack at it to get it out.

Sue

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I have lots of dry shade, if you have any of the Carex to spare, Sue, I'd love to have some. Maybe I'll just have to bring the nervous dog with me, and not stay too long for the others left at home. I've got the anxious Shih Tzu or Lhasa mix, and a Pom from a puppy mill - he's adorable-- plus my two tzus.

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Sue - if you have any Carex Ice Dance left for me I'd love it. Sweet Woodruff would be great too.
    Deb

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Sue -- thanks! That would be fantastic -- my horticulturist brother took one look at our Woodbury house when we bought it 1.5 years ago and said "you need ornamental grasses!" so any and all are greatly appreciated! We're new to this part of the state and I'm new to ornamental grasses altogether, but I assume they'll do well along the edge of a meadow in full sun, right?
    Marty

• lward
    17 years ago

I have lots of evening primrose, bee balm (red and purple), anise hyssop, creeping myrtle, groundcover daylillies, hemlock trees and forsythia. Does this interest anyone? I am looking for white liatris, plants for a water garden, especially lotus, but any would be good, astilbe, pulmonaria, ornamental grasses, margoram, vegetables, annuals, etc. Leah

• ego45
    17 years ago

I see all of a sudden a lot of takers for Carex 'Ice dance'.
    Good choice!
    I still remember like last fall I brought 5 or 6 divisions of it and was trying to 'sell' it to the public. LOL.
    Great plant for dry(ish) shade, but will spread very fast in wet/moist shade conditions and especially in cultivated beds with a loose soil. Will be less agressive in a native clay. Easy to control, though.
    If Sue will be not able to satisfy all of you in a spring, remind me in a fall, there will be no shortage of it.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Sue: I'd love some of the Siberian Iris.

TO GIVE: Going to dig Lilac and tall yellow/orangish heirloom mystery shrub on Saturday. So far only have Marty has a taker. Any others?

AND: If anyone is keeping a head count, Rich won't be with me on Sunday. A potential client appt wins out. He asked that someone keep an eye on the back of the truck so that it doesn't exceed the 2 ton limit :-)

Martie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Sue, I know I'm a bit down the list, but I would love some sweet woodruff if you have any left. I lost all my newly-planted woodruff last summer in the drought.

Thanks,
    :)
    Dee

• elainect5
    17 years ago

Hi-
    I am new to this swap, but it sounds wonderful! Would people like potatoes ready to plant? I'll have to see what else I can find to bring........ For lunch I will make a big spring salad.
    Elaine

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Marty, yes the grasses love full sun. I live in an established shady lot so it's hard to grow the large Miscanthus cultivars well.

I should have plenty of the Carex 'Ice Dance'. I guess I'd better start making a list of what I've promised to everyone.

Sue

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

Leah -- If you've got forsythia (or forsythia cuttings, as Dee so kindly offered), I'd love some. I'm trying to cover an embankment so I need as much as I can get my hands on!

I'm still planning to bring a cake (George's birthday cake, I believe!) unless something different (or additional?) is needed...

Marty

• ego45
    17 years ago

Martie, 'tall yellow/orangish heirloom mystery shrub'.
    Yellow leaved or yellow flowering?
    Wild guess, Sambucus canadensis/American elder 'Aurea'?
    At this point I'm clueless, but I'm sure our host Ron will be able to ID it.
    Put me as a tentative taker on it if it is indeed 'Aurea'. It could be a perfect pollinator for my 'Sutherland Gold'.
    BTW, sambucus could be cut to any manageable height for the transportation purpose with no ill effect to the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: sambucus

• martieinct
    17 years ago

George: The Mystery Shrub, I believe, is either an Azalea or a Chaenomeles. It has elongated, smooth edged leaves; not dentate. The flowering is much more cupped than any Sambucus I've seen and the shrub is tall (almost 18' mature), not rounded in habit. I'll bring some babies (already about 12" new growth this year) and we can have our own version of Name That Plant :-) You may want one to grow on -- it's really quite stunning whatever it is.

Martie

• ego45
    17 years ago

Martie, just for the record.
    There are two sambucuses called 'Aurea', one is S. canadensis or S. nigra with regular leaves and another S. racemosa plumosa with dentate/cut leaves.
    Both plants have a large leaves and definitely not 'an azalea' type, so i'm looking forward to ID it.
    See you on Sunday.

• wildbill
    17 years ago

Can't wait until Sunday.

ElaineCT - We'd love some of the potato starts.

Also, if anyone has some Salvia or other Hummingbird attracting plants that would be awesome.

We planted 6 pots of Datura metel "alba" (3 seeds to a gallon pot) but they have not yet come up. Keep your fingers crossed. The parent plant was a beauty from Logees with double white flowers.

We have one rooted Brugmansia - not sure what color. Does anyone want us to set it aside?

Also, one rooted "Evening Fragrance Jasmine" that's been growing outdoors for a few weeks.

George, we have Pachysandra and Lily of the Valley we'll dig out for you.

Bill & Dena

• heirloomamy
    17 years ago

The excitement is building! Bill & Dena--would love the Brug if you don't have any other takers. And Elaine--I'd love some potatoes for planting!

I've got some 12" rose of sharon volunteers if anyone's interested (to continue with my theme of plants that take over your garden...).

Best, Amy

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

The excitement certainly IS building -- and the weather sounds (thankfully!) as if it will be beautiful, too!

Amy, I'd love one of your Rose of Sharon volunteers if you end up with one to spare...

- Marty

• sladybug2
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone! I think we will be coming. We may not get there until a bit later. (I'm having a sleepover for daughter's birthday) My name is Sheryl and dh is Dave. We have a lot of lily of the valley coming up so we will bring that and I will make something good to eat!! I also have some extra herbs, pots, garden misc. Look forward to meeting you nice people-we're looking for any extras to fill up our garden. becky daisy, echinacea, etc.

• gw:cat-2
    17 years ago

Well, iVillage won't let me login through Mozilla, so I'm going through the Yahoo connection for one quick posting. Kathy and I will definitely be coming tomorrow, and there are two others who may join us, one depending on schedule and the other depending on how she feels since she's pregnant with twins.

Kathy will definitely have some heirloom roses, ferns, and probably many other things including comfrey and I'm not sure what, in addition to some home-made potato-egg salad.

I will probably have some of the following- if you specifically want something, go ahead and post it as I will check later today and tomorrow morning and mark specific items even though I probably won't post any more comments.

sedum - golden carpet
    sempervivum - hens-n-chicks
    artemisia - Silver King (I think)
    solidago
    ranunculus - not sure
    pentsemmon - white
    creeping flox (pink)
    dianthus (various pink, white)
    yarrow - paprika
    lily of the valley
    eurybia divaricata
    monarda
    day lilies
    violets
    morning glory (white fading to pink center)

possibly cuttings from:
    miniature parade roses (pink, red, lavender)
    angel wing begonia (pink)
    hydrangea (endless summer) -maybe, it's barely started to come up

And I may bring seeds in case anyone wants some that I have plenty of, like marigold and morning glory, or to trade.

That's all I can think of right now. I may have a bit of clematis, too, but I can't remember which ones I planted where last year, so maybe I should wait until they've grown and flowered for a season.

We'll probably get there around 10:30 or 11:00. Hope to see you all there!

Cathy

• gw:cat-2
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention that I'd love to trade heirloom or o.p. tomato and pepper seeds, if anyone else is interested, so I will bring those for sure.

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I have my cookies all baked and ready for tomorrow and bringing along some 1 year old dogwood trees,2 flowering almond, & rudbeckia. Really looking forward to this! Richie

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Cathy: Semps!! I was hoping someone would have some. Thanks! I also have ornamental peppers seeds (a fellow GWer sent Too Many!!) if you want a bit of a diversion.

Marty: A purple lilac has your name on it.

Also have two white heirloom lilacs and an additional purple. Very tall and true lilac scent; heavy flowering.

I'm convinced the Mystery Shrub is some kind of old quince. The flowering has faded to a dusty apricot color; the leaves are about 2" oblong and opposite. I have one from last year in the ground that started at 12" and is now over my head and throwing shoots like crazy. Here, it will be used as a focal speciman. The shoot I took from the momma has lots branches for propagating.

So looking forward to this ..

Martie

• wildbill
    17 years ago

Well, the Daturas never came up so we are not bringing those - I know they'll come up next week or so, right?

We dug the pachysandra and lily of the valley for George, and I've started harvesting some of the worms from the compost bins for Cloud9, Casey1, Cat2, noticklish, and heirloomany.

We are bringing an "evening fragrance jasmine", maybe a couple of Persian Shield plants, a brugmansia for heirloomany, two yellow pear tomato plants, and maybe a few other things.

Tonight I'm baking bread or bread rolls - Maple Pecan Cranberry, and Pumpernickel Raisin.

Should be a great time tomorrow.

Bill

• siennact
    17 years ago

Does anyone want L. squamigera? I could dig some tomorrow morning but I don't want to unless someone definitely wants them.

George, your Dicentra is dug and waiting.

I also have obedient plant, and white yarrow.

I'll be there with my friend Marilyn again, I can see her out the window digging up bamboo right now!

tina

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Phew! I think I've got everything everybody asked for and then some. I tried to bring extra of everything but lost track of what I had. There may be a few additional things I haven't listed as I was prospecting the garden and came across odds and ends. At any rate, it's all tagged and I have my list of who wanted what. After dinner I'll bake the whoopie pies. The family who is adopting my rescue dog will be here between 8 and 8:30 and I'll leave for the swap after that. Hopefully I will get there somewhere around 10.

See you all tomorrow!

Sue

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Can't wait till tomorrow! My cousin Adela will be coming with me as usual. Unfortunately, I had planned on bringing some named daylilies, but they seem to be doing poorly. I'm afraid they may have that daylily wilt or whatever that problem is, so I only have one division of one daylily. :(

Martie, I would love one of those white lilacs, if they haven't been claimed yet.

Sue, my son is debating whether to come or not, and the deciding factor may just be your whoopie pies, lol!

Dee

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Dee, tell him I'm heading for the kitchen as we speak...lol.

Sue

• ego45
    17 years ago

Tina,
    if it's not too late for you to make a plans, I'll take as many L. squamigera as you will be able to dig.
    TIA.

• siennact
    17 years ago

I had a hunch you'd take some George! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing Martie's Mystery Shrub! Almost as much as I am looking forward to Sue's Whoopie Pies. See everyone tomorrow!

tina

• martieinct
    17 years ago

As a newbie swapper, wanted to be amongst the first to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Ron and son, Young's, all the veterans who brought plants and just knew what I'd love, all the other newbies and good cooks who put together a fantastic lunch; for acknowledgement from George that yes the Mystery Plant is a quince. What wine!!!!!

Today was just glorious ...

Martie

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for the nice time. This was a first me and my friend Ray and we had a nice time. It was nice to meet everyone too! HAPPY PLANTING! Richie

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Thanks to all, but especially Ron and Young's for another wonderful swap. Good food, good talk, fun plants, lovely setting and more amazing weather! It was great seeing faces old and new. We even managed to sing happy birthday to George in tune!

Deb

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

A quick note to thank everyone (and especially Ron and Young's) for a terrific swap -- it was our first such experience, and we'll definitely be back! Came home and started planting (special thanks to everyone who "tagged" things for me!) and found myself making mental notes of what will be ready for dividing in the fall or next spring... it will be fun to garden with sharing in mind!

Thanks, all! / Marty

• the_shady_lady
    17 years ago

Even though I got there late, I too had a great time. Thank you everyone! Good growing to all of you!

Virginia

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Sounds like everyone had a great time, sorry I missed it this time. Too much going on here at home to get away today. Will we be planning a midsummer get-together again this year?
    Jo

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Well, Jo, Sue did invite us all to George's again this summer, lol! George didn't seem to mind, so hopefully we can all get together again!

Ron, I realized after I left that I didn't say a proper thank you to you, so please excuse my bad manners and accept my thanks for once again hosting a wonderful time for all of us.

What glorious weather we had, and as usual, the company was top-notch!

Thanks to everyone for a great time!

Dee

• heirloomamy
    17 years ago

Thanks Ron, and Young's, and all of you generous swappers! Once again, I left with plants, knowledge, and this time, a first, the taste of Georgian wine on my tongue! Thank you all, and hope to see you in the fall (or mid-summer??)! I promise to do a better job of "tagging" next time or, better yet, bring more of everything!
    Ron--I hope Brody was able to bring SOMETHING home!!!

Amy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Yeah, Jo, you did miss a good time-lots of nice new people and all the nice old people too. Pencil in that last weekend in June on your calendar for the Oliver's sale/George's pool party. Perhaps you could put George in touch with your SIL for some party advice (wink, wink) lol

Ron, thanks again for a very successful swap. It was fun seeing everyone as usual and even more fun being able to chat plants for hours with people whose eyes don't glaze over.

Sue

• ccaryl
    17 years ago

Thank you Ron, Young's, and all the CT gardenweb swappers for such a wonderful day! I had a great time meeting all of you, and thank you for the wonderful plants.

George, thank you for the advice about the bloodmeal.

Deb, what can I say, THANK YOU!

• sladybug2
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for a fun first swap. I just wanted to let you know that we really had a nice time and loved Young's Nursery. What beautiful weather and we really enjoyed meeting everyone. I would be happy to bring more hydrangea and bearded irises next time along with other perennial divisions. Just be sure to let us know!! Again thank you everyone for a wonderful day. Sheryl (Sladybug and dh Dave)

• denal
    17 years ago

It was so terrific to see all the familiar faces again and to meet some new ones today! Thank you so much to you all, so generous and giving, who made this event possible, yet again.

I am so delighted when I think of all the amazing things we accomplish and create with the internet and gardenweb!

I hope to see you again in June- if it's a go.

Happy Gardening!

-Dena (WildBill's wife) ;)

• casey1gw
    17 years ago

Thank you again Ron for being such a gracious host. The weather was glorious, the food was excellent and the company was the best. I second Sue's comment that it's wonderful to meet people and talk plants without their eyes glazing over.

I love walking in my garden and seeing all the plants I've gotten at these swaps through the years. I'll try to take pictures. I'm already looking forward to the next swap and seeing what'll be big enough to bring. George, maybe you could celebrate your half birthday so we could have more wine?

Hedy

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

How many people turned up for the swap? Any photos to share? Waaahh, I missed it!
    Jo

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I didn't see any cameras and forgot mine :(. Just a guess, but throughout the day I would say we had 30-40 people.

Sue

• svgarden
    17 years ago

Hi all, sorry it has taken me so long, but wanted to thank everyone, especially Ron for a great swap. I had a great time and hope to come back in the fall with a much smaller belly!!! I have already planted most of the plants that I came home with and hope that they haven't washed away with all this rain!! Have a great summer! Sarah