Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giboosi_alttara

HAVE: Hostas for good cause?

giboosi_alttara
16 years ago

I'm in Ridgefield CT, and I breed hostas, and regularly need to cull plants of various ages/sizes, from 2 yr. old seedlings to 5 yr. old clumps.

Since these are plants from my breeding lines, they are good plants! Usually culled because I have one very similar but better from the same cross.

I have a need to get rid of plants in batches, and do not want them being sold, but I resist culling to add nice plants to the compost heap, and any neighbors with deer fencing that have any interest are already deluged with hostas!

So, what to do with them? I have already donated many to a local art conservatory.

I would be willing to trade or donate to gardeners who'd be willing to come and p/u plants, but only large batches. (For example, I have a wheel-barrow overfilled with plants right now...)

Comments (9)

• Yvette Thomas
    16 years ago

I love Hostsas! And I know of others in MA that do too.
    What kind of plants are you looking to trade? I might have something. I don't have alot of money so I am always looking for freebies or Something I can trade for. Where is Ridgefield? I have never heard of it. I have family in Waterbury & in Vernon areas.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    16 years ago

If there are local garden clubs or other organizations that maintain public gardens in places like road medians or around public buildings, you might well find takers. Both my local school and library have volunteers that maintain gardens at the buildings, and I've heard of hospitals, hospices, and nursing homes that have gardens to give quiet serene environments to those dealing with the stress of ill health in themselves or a loved one. Often there is a formal support group of voluteers with whom an organization can put you in touch.

Is there a community newpaper, church bulletin, or online bulletin board for your area where you could post your generous offer?

• giboosi_alttara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Babs!

rutlandite, Ridgefield is in SW CT.

• hipchick
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest a school as well.

Also, there are a lot of places that do plant sales this time of year for fundraising, maybe if you know of one or see one advertised you could call the organizers and offer them.

we have "adopt a visibilty spot" in our town, where you "adopt" a spot and plant it - you could do it yourself or offer to a group that does.

last resort - craigslist or freecycle, you could specify that you don't want them sold and would rather they go to a charitable organization.

good luck!

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

All good ideas. You might also consider picking a day, say June 24, when the NE forum is doing a Nutmeg State tour, and invite GW members to come and dig. We're all, as far as I know, people who you'd like to meet! At least, everyone I've met so far from the forum has been great.

If you were in Rhode Island, and if your preference that the hostas not be sold was not so strong, I'd suggest you contact Blithewold and offer them the chance to come dig plants for one of their sales. Maybe there's a similar garden-related museum in CT? And, isn't there a Big Event -some kind of fund-raising plant sale - in CT sometime right around this time of year? It's been on my list of things to do for years, and I haven't made it there yet...

• ego45
    16 years ago

Gibooshi, I have a large 'undeveloped' chunk of full shade somewhat wettish land where nothing but the moss is currently growing and at wild guess it could accomodate from 100 to 200 hostas.
    You may count on me at any time when you want to unload your wheel-barrows.
    In exchange I could offer 1-2 years old rooted cuttings from various hydrangeas, var. tricirtises and some other shade lovers.
    I'm your neighbor in Westport,
    George

• giboosi_alttara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

D.i.dirt, it would actually be more trouble than it was worth to have other people dig, as I'd have to mark off the stuff to go, and worry about the near-by keepers, and although I was eyeing the thread on the tours, that weekend doesn't work for me.

The regional hosta convention and seedling competition is the last weekend in June, and I have sooo much to do before then, as I enter plants in the competition, etc.

I've been trying to find out about donating to the Danbury Hospital, but finding info like this is taking too much time at this point, as I have some 36 flats of seedlings to get in the ground, with no place to put them.

Later in the season I could probably host a "see my garden and bring a hosta home" day, though.

George, I'd love you to have some of my hostas, and although I don't want to set up a trade, I'd be happy to accept any gifts of rooted cuttings. Do drop me a line and we can arrange for you to come by and pick up a bunch of plants, as long as you don't expect to see a fabulous garden. (I've seen pix of yours!!!)

I won't be able to pot these, though; I'd plop them in a trash bag with whatever soil didn't fall off when they were dug. They do keep that way, if you punch some holes in the bottom and spray them now and them, for at least weeks. And then I could maybe drop off a second batch at a later time and get to see your garden?

I have been focusing on adding trees and shrubs, since I have a few acres of woods in the back that I have a plan to eventually turn into gardens, and am putting trees back there now, but it's too much of an invasives jungle for hostas (plus I don't want to spend the time replanting older hybrids when I've gotta get the babies in the ground). Not to mention the voles would have a party!

• ctcfo
    14 years ago

hi

do you still have hostas for sale/giveaway? i can use 100 to 200 for my shade garden, thanks

jeff

• awatsonphoto
    13 years ago

HI. I just found this website. I live in Greenwich. If you have the same issue next year, I would be happy to come by and pull up some plants to help you out. I am beginning to garden, so I don't have much to offer, except help you unload. I think hostas would do nicely in my yard. Let me know if you need to get rid of anything and I will swing by.
    best,
    Annie