Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Eqyptian Onions

Posted by applecider z4_ME (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 1:15

I am looking for any edible multiplying perrennial bulb-type aliums (onions, garlic, shallots, etc.) hardy in zone 4 that will withstand our spring weather.

Note that every spring we get 2-3 weeks of warm weather (a hard thaw where the top 3 feet of ground thaws out quickly and some bulbs pop up several inches) followed by a 2-3 week cold spell (a hard frost where the top few inches of the ground freezes overnight). Most alliums die at this point. It then gets warmer again and we have 2-3 weeks of foot deep mud.

-

I will have the following 2 types of Eqyption Onions. The topsets should be ready in August.

* Eqyptian Onions #1
(I'm not sure what variety these are. They make reddish brown 1-2 inch bulbs. Out of the topsets, will occasionally grow another stem with topsets. On the older plants, sometimes instead of making topsets, they will make flowerheads with viable seed. The stalks grow about 3-4 feet tall before bending over. These taste like spicey shallots. These were dug up from a friend's garden who didn't want them and didn't know what variety they were. These die back in the August heat and come up again about 2 weeks later. They are green all winter long.)

* Egyptian Onions #2
(Again, I'm not sure what variety these are. These make reddish brown 1-2 inch bulbs, more elongated than #1. I have never seen these make flowerheads. The stalks grow about 2 feet tall before bending over. Somewhat milder than #1. These do not die back all the way to the ground like #1, but they are also not as large or green in the winter, either.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here