Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fgirl21

HAVE: eastern ma fall swap

fgirl21
17 years ago

Hello all

Saturday, October 14th I am offering a fall swap at my home.

I'm located in Randolph (near Quincy/Braintree). I am convenient to Route 3, Route 24, Route 95, Route 128 AND Route 93 (yep, it's that easy). I am happy to provide detailed directions to anyone who doesn't like to use Mapquest!

I'll keep track of who is bringing what (in the way of supplies)and will email a list out periodically as folks indicate what they'd like to bring.

I have PLENTY of chairs and tables so no need to bring your own. I'll also provide Name Tags.

I have no pets but I DO have a 4year old who is my trusty garden assistant and probably wouldn't miss this for the world.

I'm sure that I'm missing some details right now but it's still early in the game.

So - if you're looking for something specific -make a post.

If you're looking to thin your garden - make a post!

Looking forward to October!

Michelle

Comments (34)

• Cady
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From what time to what time? :)

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Silly me....!!!
    Good question.

How about 10am to 2pm?

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

I'll send up some rosemary-leaf willows if anyone wants one and if I can find a courier. It's a wonderful shrub with narrow, deep green foliage with silvery-white undersides; which looks really great in a breeze. The parent is about 7 feet tall and not quite as wide. Likes mostly sun, and probably doesn't like drought, tho I never water it. I won't bother to offer my "old stand-by" plants, because of the problem of getting them up there (I'll be in the middle of the Pacific.)

• dawiff
    17 years ago

I will be bringing a peony called Shaggy Dog. I think it is what they call a cactus-flowered peony, the petals are all sort of twisted and stripy.

I will also bring at least one Barbara Mitchell fan, maybe a few Strawberry Candy (if anyone is interested). If anyone is interested in some Coreopsis American Dream (short, little pink flowers and floppy), please let me know.

That's probably it for named stuff. I have some shortish pink daylilies that are early to mid-season bloomers. I can pot up some tall Sweet Williams that are going to flower next year.

I also have some native ferns, some blue Siberian iris, and one little staghorn sumac (careful they colonize rather aggressively and grow fast). Some ajuga with purple leaves, I don't know if they're Bronze Beauty or Burgundy Glow.

I'm looking for anything with interesting multi-colored, or variegated or purple foliage, or anything for shade or semi-shade.

I'm going to attach some pictures of some of the stuff I'm willing to bring for anyone who wants it. On the other side, pablo said he was interested in the peony.

Shaggy Dog peony

{{gwi:1053673}}

Siberian iris

{{gwi:1053674}}

Barbara Mitchell daylily

{{gwi:662930}}

Strawberry Candy

{{gwi:662931}}

Alison

• mimiwan
    17 years ago

I have some lamb's ear and baby's breath that I could swap. If I can get the Japanese iris up that would be the other. And maybe some others that I have to look at to see condition, etc.

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm willing to donate something for a door prize.
    Anyone else want to contribute?

• dawiff
    17 years ago

It's just a little over a month till the swap. If anyone is interested in any of the items I listed, please post. I am only going to be digging things people have said they want. I won't bother digging and potting up stuff on the off-chance that people will decide to take some of it once we're all there at Michelle's. Mainly because I don't want to dig and pot stuff and then take it home again.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the swap. It will be great to see people from last year's swap and to meet any newbies.

Alison

• ron48
    17 years ago

I hope I can make it, this is a start. I have to assemble the hosta etc... and other plants. The next list will be complete and will include this one.

Ron

ALL plants listed are growing in pots and are 2-4 years old.

Trees
    Stewartia hybred, seeds collected from a group of different trees that are touching each other. These trees could exhibit any number of qualities. Only time will tell.

Sorbus yuana China, Very Rare

Stewartia pseudocamelia, fall 05 this tree needs no introduction. One of the finest small flowering trees, grown for its beautiful bark and mid summer white flowers. Korea

Prunus grayanei small compact tree. Asia. Very Rare

Metasequoia glyptostroboides, Dawn Redwood
    Koelreuteria paniculata "Rose Lantern" originated at the Arnold Arboretum, a small tree, bright yellow flowers are produced in large quantities on 12-15" long panicles in June and July, followed by rich green colored, papery, lantern like capsules. Unlike the species, (paper bag brown) Rose Lantern capsules are what else but rose colored. fast growing, very tolerant Z(5)6-7

Cornus kousa chinensis, later flowering than kousa. red fall color. China

Cornus officinalis, small tree, yellow flowers in early spring. red fruits, zone 5,Korea

Acer triflorum, related to griseum, a tri leaf maple. 20-30'. Red fall color. Reportatily growing at The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Z5-7
    Acer rufinerve, Redvein Maple, a small tree, 30-35" but seldom attains that size in the US. A snake bark maple, green bark with pronounced whitish vertical striations. Full sun, but light shade is preferable. Fall color is variable, red to yellow. Z5-7 Japan

Acer pensylvanicum, Acer pensylvanicum, 15-20'H, 10x15'w. bright green bark with silverish white vertical stripes. North Americas only "snake bark" a small under story tree. preferes light shade. moist well drained soil. Yellow fall color. Zones 3-7
    Acer Henryi(Henry Maple), a small tree to 20-30 feet. This is one of the trifoliate maples (griseum, triflorum) green summer leaves become yellow to red each fall. Full sun to light shade. A well drained soil. Rare in NA little is known about its landscape value. Native to central China (Reserved for trade in fall)

Acer griseum, fall 05, need I say more!

Acer ginnala, -Amur Maple. 15-18'possibly to 25'in height. small specimen tree,these seedlings have medium rose colored leaves in spring before slowly changing to green. Late summer growth also exhibites the same rose color before changing to yellow. For 2 years several have retained some of the rose colored leaves all summer. very cold hardy, seed from Zone 3. potted.

Acer buergeranum, Trident Maple. a handsome small tree 20-30' slow to medium growth rate. New growth is bronze to purple, changing to dark green glossy leaves in summer. yellow, orange, and red in the fall. Z5-8 China

Acer ginnala var. aidzuense, There appears to some confusion on the part of maple experts as to where this tree should be placed. Acer tataricum ssp. aiduense, take your pick in any case. This small tree small maple, to 25'. Dense branching, young branches are light brown to reddish. Autumn color is yellow to crimson dotted with yellow. This sub species is quite rare in cultivation. Zone 4 potted 2 yr. old trees.
    Good luck figuring this one out!

Shrubs
    Buxus sinica var insularis
    Corylopsis sinensis var. calvescens, winter hazel, shrub, flowers in early spring, China, Z6/5 potted.
    Rhododendron wilsonii 2' tall, pointed leaves, pink flowers very late. Mine flower end of June into July, 2 potted, flowering size
    Speria j.' Shibori ('Shirobana') 2-3' white, pink, red inflorescence summer till mid fall, Z 4-9 potted

• ron48
    17 years ago

Semi final list!
    Hosta potted, some are large enough for several good divisions at the swap.
    Pearl Lake
    Whirl Wind
    Gold Drop
    Font. Albo picta
    Ground Master
    Purple Dwarf
    Ginko Craig
    Xmas Tree
    Purple Lady Fingers
    Thumb Nail

Potentilla, mini shrub or herbaceous perennial? Grown from seeds collected in Siberia, (not by me) 4-8" tall, and as wide. my original plant is in full sun, 8" tall x 12-14" wide never gets watered or any other supplemental offerings. spring flowering, white1", looks like strawberry blossom. When I dug a few seedlings I was amazed how long the roots were on such small plants. I assume they grow in the open barren lands in full sun. and they can withstand any climate New England can offer.Nothing seems to eat it nor does it suffer from disease. Zone 2-6,7. potted early summer, it originally had 1/2 sun. But I removed a tree instead of the plants. 3 plants available. Deer proof ?

Ajuga " Chocolate Chip" 1 potted
    Alyssum condensatum, Bright yellow flowers, 6" need to dig on request*
    Bergenia Bessingham Pink, zone 4-9, drought tolerant need to dig*
    Carex ornithopoda var. very small leaf 1/8" x 8" long, cream & green, 10 year old clump is 12", very drought tolerant. Dig*
    Chelone obliqua 'Rose Turtle Heads',Z 4-9 flowers late Aug. into Sept.in Boston. Dig*
    Epimedium v.'Sulphureum' Rose colored foliage, yellow flowers in spring, Dig*

Trees
    Prunus maackii, Amur Choke Cherry. Mop headed dense branching tree that grows 35-40' White flowers on 2-3" long racemes, in great profusion in early to mid May. 1/4" red to black fruit. These trees are cutting from my tree that has light cinnamon bark. Zone 2-6

Clethra barbinervis, Japanese Clethra. A beautiful shrub or small tree (10-20' high) Dark green leaves, fragrant 1/3" white on 4-6" long terminal racemose panicles July to August. Bark is smooth, beautiful polished gray to rich brown, may exfoliate. Japan, zone 5-8

Syringa reticulata, Japanese Tree Lilac, 20-30' x 15-20' wide. perfect creamy white flowers early to mid-June. Borne in large 2-12" long and 6-8" wide panicles. Scented and very showy. The seeds germinated after labor day last year and survived in a tray all winter with out protection . zone 3-7 Japan, potted They show NO signs of mildew.

Trees
    Stewartia hybred, seeds collected from a group of different trees that are touching each other. These trees could exhibit any number of qualities. Only time will tell.

Sorbus yuana China, Very Rare

Stewartia pseudocamelia, fall 05 this tree needs no introduction. One of the finest small flowering trees, grown for its beautiful bark and mid summer white flowers. Korea

Prunus grayanei small compact tree. Asia. Very Rare

Metasequoia glyptostroboides, Dawn Redwood
    Koelreuteria paniculata "Rose Lantern" originated at the Arnold Arboretum, a small tree, bright yellow flowers are produced in large quantities on 12-15" long panicles in June and July, followed by rich green colored, papery, lantern like capsules. Unlike the species, (paper bag brown) Rose Lantern capsules are what else but rose colored. fast growing, very tolerant Z(5)6-7
    Cornus kousa chinensis, later flowering than kousa. red fall color. China

Cornus officinalis, small tree, yellow flowers in early spring. red fruits, zone 5,Korea

Acer triflorum, related to griseum, a tri leaf maple. 20-30'. Red fall color. Reportatily growing at The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Z5-7
    Acer rufinerve, Redvein Maple, a small tree, 30-35" but seldom attains that size in the US. A snake bark maple, green bark with pronounced whitish vertical striations. Full sun, but light shade is preferable. Fall color is variable, red to yellow. Z5-7 Japan

Acer pensylvanicum, Acer pensylvanicum, 15-20'H, 10x15'w. bright green bark with silverish white vertical stripes. North Americas only "snake bark" a small under story tree. prefers light shade. moist well drained soil. Yellow fall color. Zones 3-7

Acer Henryi (Henry Maple), a small tree to 20-30 feet. This is one of the trifoliate maples (griseum, triflorum) green summer leaves become yellow to red each fall. Full sun to light shade. A well drained soil. Rare in NA little is known about its landscape value. Native to central China (Reserved for trade in fall)

Acer griseum, fall 05, need I say more!

Acer ginnala, -Amur Maple. 15-18' possibly to 25' in height. small specimen tree,these seedlings have medium rose colored leaves in spring before slowly changing to green. Late summer growth also exhibits the same rose color before changing to yellow. For 2 years several have retained some of the rose colored leaves all summer. very cold hardy, seed from Zone 3. potted.

Acer buergeranum, Trident Maple. a handsome small tree 20-30' slow to medium growth rate. New growth is bronze to purple, changing to dark green glossy leaves in summer. yellow, orange, and red in the fall. Z5-8 China

Acer ginnala var. aidzuense, There appears to some confusion on the part of maple experts as to where this tree should be placed. Acer tataricum ssp. aiduense, take your pick in any case. This small tree small maple, to 25'. Dense branching, young branches are light brown to reddish. Autumn color is yellow to crimson dotted with yellow. This sub species is quite rare in cultivation. Zone 4 potted 2 yr. old trees.
    Good luck figuring this one out!

Shrubs
    Buxus sinica var insularis
    Corylopsis sinensis var. calvescens, winter hazel, shrub, flowers in early spring, China, Z6/5 potted.
    Rhododendron wilsonii 2' tall, pointed leaves, pink flowers very late. Mine flower end of June into July, 2 potted, flowering size
    Speria j.' Shibori ('Shirobana') 2-3' white, pink, red inflorescence summer till mid fall, Z 4-9 potted

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow - that is a significant list!
    I didn't see what YOU are interested in though!
    What do you want by way of trades?

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi folks!

Keeping this up to the top so that more folks will *hopefully* chime in with potential attendance.

Can we get a tentative idea of the number of folks who might attend?

• dawiff
    17 years ago

I will definitely be attending.

It might be a good idea to post a reminder on the Discussion side as well.

• ron48
    17 years ago

Any one on the cape and Islands, I have Sinojackia rehderiana-Jacktree, shrub or small tree, white 1" wide flowers occur in 3-5 flower cymes at the end of lateral shoots in April & May, full sun, well drained soil, Michael Dirr calls it "a plant of the future". the dark green leaves are held late into the season. zone(6)7 to 8. seeds 2 years to germinate. I would like this to go an experienced plants person because of its size and difficulty in wintering over this first winter. Plant is single stem, 8" tall.
    I'm told it does not perform well in z.6

Ron

• mayalena
    17 years ago

Sounds like a fabulous swap. Unfort, I cannot join this time, as it is the parent-run school fair. Our major fundraiser. I'd rather be swapping, but what can I do?
    Have fun!

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Sounds like you're going to have a great swap -

The Jack tree is awfully tempting, Ron! I'll be away for most of Oct, so I might not be the best step-parent to this tree anyway. I *do* have the perfect place for it ...

Katy might be interested, and it would definitely thrive under her care, on the vineyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: jack tree

• gfult
    17 years ago

I plan to attend, not sure what i am bringing. Maybe some Jacob's ladder.

Would anyone want some Lamium? I dont know the variety. It is the fast spreading type but it is pretty and good for very shady spots.

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still getting MY act together on what I have to offer!

I'd be more than happy to take some lamium. I've got a barren shady spot (okay, a few of them!) looking for something to fill it.

• ron48
    17 years ago

Katy its yours, Sinojackia rehderiana

make me proud!

Ron

• asarum
    17 years ago

I live nearby in Weymouth and hope to attend. In thinking about what I could bring I am mostly stuck with a list of typical passalong plants. I will put together a list this weekend.

• ron48
    17 years ago

I have several hard cover books for the drawing.

One by Michael Dirr, I'll list the others this weekend.

Michelle, aka, fgirl21, I have acer palmatum seeds for you.

For the swap, I have seeds of acer griseum, acer henryi, acer pensylvanicum, and maybe triflorum.

Ron

• drippy
    17 years ago

I'll be with you in spirit - I'm a working gal on Saturdays at that time, but reading over the posts, it looks like it's going to be an awesome swap. Best wishes, Michelle and all!

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all!

The swap day is nearly upon us. Keep your fingers crossed for decent weather!

I will send out my address, phone number and directions via email to anyone who has posted their intent to attend. If you think you're coming and have not yet posted, please do so in order to get the address!

Michelle

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

I'll be with you in spirit, but fall is my weekend work doing craft shows.
    Have a wonderful time, I'll be thinking of you.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again in the spring and plan on hosting the spring swap again in 2007. Yes, there will be plenty my wintersown seedlings again.

Enjoy all

Michelle how did the seedlings do?

Fran

• ron48
    17 years ago

Books for the Eastern Mass Plant Swap, drawing.....

Modern Miniature Daffodils Species and Hybrids by James S. Wells, hardcover

The Iris Book by Molly Price, soft cover

Parks Success With Seeds by Ann Reilly, hardcover

Miniature Orchids to Show and Grow, by Jack Kramer and Roy L. Crafton, hardcover

The Complete Shade Gardener by by George Schenk, hardcover

Parks Success With Bulbs, by Alfred F. Scheider, hardcover

Japanese Gardens, Time Life, hardcover

Bulbs For The Home Gardener by Bebe Miles, hardcover

Delphiniums, by Colin Edwards, hardcover

Photographic Manuel Of Woody Landscape Pants, Form and Function In The Landscape by Michael Dirr, hardcover

I have between 6-8 other soft cover books, Fences and Gates, Gardening Shortcuts, Camellias, House Plants in Doors and Outdoors, How To Build & Use Greenhouses, Orchids, Hedges, Screens & Espaliers.

CAUTION, These books are in new condition, and after reading, may result in a more in depth addiction, I mean commitment to gardening...!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Michelle,

I just wanted to draw your attention to the post that is on the discussion side. Runktrun has posted a couple of times to say she can't post on the Exchange side for some reason. She has a question for you.

BTW, sorry I won't be able to attend, but I hope everyone has a great time and take photos! :-)

• ron48
    17 years ago

Michelle, did you send out directions yet, or you did and I can;t find them?

Ron

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all

Directions emailed today. Gfult - I can't send you an email! You can email me at fgirl21@hotmail.com and I'll send them along to you

Gonna be a chilly one folks - dress warmly! I'll have something snacky available (cookies, brownies or the like)

• dawiff
    17 years ago

Michelle,

I'll bring some coffee, both regular and decaf, if that's ok. And/or maybe some hot chocolate?

Alison

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alison ~

Coffee/chocolate is great!

Michelle

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By now you should have received directions for Saturday. If you didn't, please email me directly fgirl21@hotmail.com and I'll send them out!

Michelle

• asarum
    17 years ago

Michelle:

I can bring a crunchy type munchy. Something like Chex Mix, popcorn etc.

• gfult
    17 years ago

Michelle, i just emailed you.

Here is what I am bringing. They are all small but grow fast in my garden:
    -Jacobs Ladder - a few of small plants
    -Sedum Autumn Joy - 1 small plant
    -yellow Stonecrop (the ground cover kind) - 1 tiny plant
    -Strawberries
    -Chives
    -I hope to also pot up the Lamium tomorrow. This one really spreads but it is very pretty and makes a great ground cover even for full shade.

Would anyone want some lawn fertilizer? I bought it but could only bring myself to use one application before going organic. I lugged it to a local swap in the spring and nobody wanted it so i had to lug it back!

• fgirl21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I'm ready - are you?

I did VERY well in not becoming overly compulsive about the yard. So you all will see how well I can grow weeds because I did NOT pull a one of them! Yes, Alison, you read that correctly!

I have a "garden design" challenge ready for everyone too (aka - give Michelle ideas for filling a space!).

See everyone tomorrow

• lise_b
    17 years ago

Wish I could have been there. :) See y'all in the spring!