Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronr_gw

wanted: ct. fall plant swap '05

ronr
18 years ago

Wow!! is it time for the fall swap already???...seems like we just had the spring swap...like...two weeks ago.

well anyway,I'd like to invite everyone and anyone back to the nursery for another wonderful day of plant swapping and pot luck lunch. I'll bring the hot dogs,hamburgers,rolls,and condiments.

I'll probably set things up very similar to the way i have in the past...gas grill,coffee,tables,chairs,tours of the growing fields if anyone is interested,the nursery has once again donated a $50.00 gift cert. to be raffled off,and is offering 25% discount on anything in the nursery to all plant swappers,and of course I'll have to come up with another silly contest for the 'mystery prize'...he he he.

Ideally I would like to hold this galla event on sunday sept. 18 starting around 10:00 a.m. at Young's Nurseries 130 washington rd. (rt. 47) in woodbury CT.

Anyone interested? if so just chime in and let me know so i have a rough idea as to how many burgers and dogs I'll need.

If anyone has any questions just ask,and if anyone has any recomendations or requests just let me know.

the rules are as follows:

everyone has fun and no one gets hurt...thats it.

just getting started in the garden and don't have anything to swap,no problem come on down,you'll leave with plenty to get your garden started.

can't find a babysitter...no problem,kids and pets are more than welcome (mine will probably be there) and bring a fishin pole,the swap is right along side of a small lake.

how much does it cost?...nothing everything is free,even the raffle,so leave your wallet at home unless you want to take advantage of the 25% off deal but thats entirely up to you.

The last two swaps have been an absolute pleasure to host,I cant wait to see you all again!

happy gardening,

Ron

Comments (87)

• lidigentri
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am really looking forward to the upcoming swap! I missed the Spring swap but this one is on my calendar for Oct 2nd. I hope to bring a good friend from work who has a fabulous garden in the New Haven area.

I have started a list of what I am planning to bring - please let me know if you want me to put something aside for you.

Perennials:
    Kniphofia Hybrid ÂBorder Ballet'
    Monarda didyma 'Marshalls Delight'
    Alchemilla mollis
    Lysimachia clethroides
    Lamium maculatum ÂWhite Nancy'
    Allium tuberosum
    Calamintha grandiflora ÂVariegata'
    Chrysanthemum superbum
    Penstemon digitalis 'Huster Red'
    DICENTRA Spectablis Alba
    Houttuynia ÂChameleonÂ
    GERANIUM Biokovo
    Lychnis chalcedonica
    Euphorbia dulcis ÂChameleonÂ
    Eryngium planum ÂBlaukappe (Sea Holly)
    Lobelia cardinalis ÂQueen VictoriaÂ

Shrubs:
    Paeonia lactiflora (double white)
    Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'
    Physocarpus Opulifolius ÂDiabolo (small, rooted cutting)
    Weigalia florida ÂVariegata (small, rooted cutting)

Annual cuttings (not rooted):
    Coleus ÂDipt in WineÂ
    Coleus ÂThe FlumeÂ
    Coleus ÂFelixÂ

Looking for:
    Ajuga  any kind
    Persicaria ÂFiretailÂ
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm
    Shade plants

See you @ the swap!

Liliane

• noticklish
    18 years ago

lidigentry: I'm interested in the queen victoria lobelia, white alba bleeding heart and coleus cuttings. I believe I have some ajuga. In a previous post I listed some of the things I'm bringing.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Liliane, I have tons of Rudbekia Goldsturm. Usually I don't bother to bring it to the swaps because everyone tends to have enough. I'll get you a big chunk.

Sue

• lidigentri
    18 years ago

Sue, thanks for the offer. I have a couple of areas I am trying to fill in with some later-season color, so anything you can spare is very much appreciated!

Liliane

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

Right now I think I can make the swap. Is there any interest in small plants of Salvia patens 'Blue Angel'? I think they are only hardy to 7b, so they would have to be wintered over inside. I started them from seed last spring, but they are still small. I've also got some 4 year old cordyline plants that I'm not planning on winter over this year. They were in 1 gal pots last winter, and I think they'll have to go into 2 gal if I get them out of the planters. I won't bother with either if there is no interest, but will just bring whatever hardy perennials I can find. I know there are a lot of russet daylilies and self seeded knautia. I'll have a better idea next week.

At least we finally got some rain so digging plants out isn't digging concrete. Last week I had to get out the digging fork and almost needed a pickaxe to plant a 3" perennial.

• noticklish
    18 years ago

liliane- I checked and found I have ajuga that has mostly purple leaves. Interested in it?
    For anyone else reading this: I'm looking for mini daylillies like the siloam or candy series that are any color other than solid yellow. This will be the first year that I try the mini daylillies. Thanks !

• casey1gw
    18 years ago

Lidigentri, I'd love some calmintha and lobelia. I also have rudbeckia for you. Jo,if you have any more sweet woodruff, I'd love some of that too. I'm also looking for coreopsis moonbeam. So far, I'm bringing:

rudbeckia
    pachysandra for George
    several ferns (look like lady ferns)
    palm sedge ( a shade grass)
    penstemon grandiflora
    geranium yoshino 'confetti'
    iceland poppy 'queen rose'
    nepeta subsessilis (like siberica but bushier)
    agastache 'blue fortune'
    maybe foxglove 'pam's choice'
    and anything else I can find this weekend

Hedy

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Hedy, I'll see if I can scare up some Sweet Woodruff for you. My big patch didn't survive the drought but I have some smaller patches. I dug up a couple of Malva 'Zebrina' for you. The Nepeta you gave me at the spring swap is doing great.

I have an assortment of things that needed dividing or were in the way of progress, and will just see what looks interesting when I get there. I don't really need anything, though if anyone has any Vinca minor, I still have some areas to fill in. I keep telling myself I'm not bringing anything home that I didn't have a plan for. Yeah, right.
    Jo

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Hedy, I have some Coreopsis Moonbeam. I don't need anything either. What I bring will largely depend on how much I can get dug this weekend. I have a wedding to go to on the 1st that between the ceremony, reception and "after party" starts at 10:30 AM and lasts all freakin' day and into the night. Can you tell I'm excited about that? lol

Sue

• the_shady_lady
    18 years ago

Hi,

I'm not sure I can come now. My SIL is having a birthday party for my MIL. I'm not too thrilled that they decided the 2nd would be the perfect day...If I can swing up to Woodbury for just an hour or so and then meet my family in Danbury it might just work.

I'll keep you posted. I don't really need anything except empty pots. Quart size are best. We use them at a plant sale in the spring for our garden club.

Virginia

• noticklish
    18 years ago

saypoint-I have some vinca groundcover.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Sue, I know how you feel. I have a wedding this Saturday. One of the only two nieces I have in the world, had to get married right after I seeded the lawn and need to water it twice a day. The nerve.

thanks, noticklish, I'll have some vinca if you'll pull some up. No need to get fancy, just stuff it in a plastic bag.
    Jo

• siennact
    18 years ago

I'll bring purple monarda, shasta daisies, and by request I have virginia creeper, lemon balm, red and white nicotiana alata seeds and snapdragon seeds- 'rocket mix'. Also some seedpods from honesty/money plant. I think I'm forgetting something too. Oh and George's fringed bleeding heart, which looks horrible right now. :)

I'm going to try not to bring much home, but I am looking for vines, and something that can survive in a very hot, dry location with afternoon sun. Anything, perennial, shrub, whatever.

• noticklish
    18 years ago

saypoint-do you have the white liatris, rose campion and zagreb coreopsis available?

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

noticklish, I think I can locate the white, it's not marked, and they're all brown right now. :o)
    Yes to the rose campion and coreopsis.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

siennaCT, I have some Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold' seedlings might work for you.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I've been feeling really bad since I don't have much to bring, and those un-named hostas I was planning on bringing have died since I last posted, lol! Sizzled in the heat - didn't help that my DH cut back some low-hanging tree branches against my wishes and now the hostas are (were) in full sun.

Anyway, I will have some columbine and primrose denticulata plants to bring. I winter-sowed these this past winter and they came up like gangbusters. Several columbines are decent-sized, but the primroses are kind of small. I was just going to pot them up and try to overwinter them in my garage, but I will bring some to the swap if anyone wants some. And I suppose I can always find a named daylily or two.

:)
    Dee

• amysue31
    18 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again. This Spring was my first swap and it was amazing! I'm bringing a friend, and we'll both be bringing a variety of goodies (monarda, lemon balm, herbs, gooseneck loosestrife, etc). Look forward to seeing you all again!

Virginia, not sure what time you'll be there (or we'll be there--most likely earlyish) but I'll try and gather up some pots for you.

Amy

• cat2
    18 years ago

Sounds like another fun get together, not to mention the variety of plants! I won't be able to make it, since it's already a party weekend for me. Saturday is my great-uncle's 75th b-day and Sunday is a double celebration: house warming/30th b-day.

I must be getting old since I just can't figure out a way to squeeze in another party!

• casey1gw
    18 years ago

Dee, I'd love a primula denticulata. I lost all my seedlings with the drought. Jo, you don't have to bring the sweet woodruff. It'll probably fill out next year. I also don't have as much to bring. The shade plants especially didn't grow too well with the trees soaking up all the available water.

Virginia, do you want pots and does anyone else want pots?

Noticklish, I have some rose campion but it doesn't look too good this time of the year.

• the_shady_lady
    18 years ago

Hi Casey,
    Yes please bring pots. Quarts or larger are best. We use them at the Garden Mart in spring.

I'm bringing alchemilla mollis, Ajuga 'Catlins Giant', probably athyrium nipponicum ÂPictum and some small hosta. I can only stay until about 11:30.

Can't wait to see everyone. I want to ask Bill and Dena how come my Passaflora never bloooms.

Virginia

• ego45
    18 years ago

I have an unexpected situation and have to fly overseas on Sunday.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make to the swap and be on time for boarding, but just in case I'll not be able to attend, Dee was very kind to offer me her help and she'll bring my plants (along with a list of what and whom I promised).

Please remind me if I forgot someone.
    Here it goes:
    Hedy----carex 'Ice Dance' and bog rosemary,
    Virginia----carex 'ID',
    Debby (c9)----veronicastrum 'Purple Tower',
    Tina (sienna?)---sedum tricolor,
    Jo---peony (I have some named cultivars and some that just going by color, all double to bomb-type. Please let me know your preferences),
    noticklish----cannas and salvia 'BQ'.

Beside that I have other stuff:
    -phlox 'David' (with possible some unknown, but also mildew resistant pink mixed into it),
    -spirea 'Magic carpet' (rooted and poted cuttings),
    -spirea 'Goldflame' (1 y.o. poted plants),
    -abelia 'Edward Goucher' (freshly rooted cuttings which I wouldn't put in a ground this fall, but rather overwinter in a basement or somewhere warm enough),
    -sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' (ditto),
    -cl.hydrangea (one rooted stem),
    -unknown white asiatic lilies flowering size(poted) and mix of white/pink asiatic/orientals bulblets, which I promised to Abi, but I think she is not going to be there, but they have to be planted ASAP,
    -freshly dug tulip bulbs (mix, may or may not bloom in spring).

If you need anything from this list, say so now and I will beg Dee to try to squeeze it in her car.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

So far I've dug and potted the following:

Daylily 'Hello Dolly'
    Herrenhausen oregano
    Campanula glomerata 'Joan Elliot'
    Iris siberica 'Caeser's Brother'
    Chrysogonum virginiana
    some unpotted hunks of Echinops
    a few potted coleus that I rooted from cuttings

I plan to bring some Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' for Liliane and some Coreopsis 'Moonbeam' for Hedy and pots for Virginia and whoever else needs them. A rose for Abi if she plans to come. Because time is short this week I won't dig any more plants unless someone specifically wants them. Here are some potential candidates:

Nepeta 'Walkers Low'
    Sedum 'Frosty Morn'
    Echinacea (Magnus maybe)
    Becky shasta daisy
    Daylily 'Happy Returns'
    Daylily Black eyed Stella

If I promised something that you don't see listed, give a yell.

Are we bringing food too?

Sue

• ego45
    18 years ago

Sue, did i promise you Iris ensata 'Good Omen'?
    If yes, i'll divide clump tomorrow, otherwise it may stay one more year undivided.
    Also, did you have a chance to pick up variegated leucoseptrum for me? If yes, I'll give a check to Dee.

• siennact
    18 years ago

George, I'm sorry to hear you can't make it! I hope everything is ok with your family.

Tina

• siennact
    18 years ago

Jo, thank you, I'd love a caryopteris. I'll bring a dessert, not sure what yet.

• ego45
    18 years ago

Tina, family is fine, just a scheduled business trip that I have to make instead of my partner at his request.

If you could save dicentra till spring for me, it will be great. If it's already dug and potted, I'm sure Dee could find a good home for it. Thanks.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

George, sorry to hear you may not make it. On the Peonies, anything will be fine, but if you haven't got them dug up, don't worry about it if you're busy. I'd love to have any Lilies you can spare. If the Abelia and Sambucus are ready to go, I wouldn't mind some of those either.

Liliane, I'd love the Kniphofia, Allium tuberosum, Calamintha, and double white Peony if they're not taken. Also Dicentra Alba if there was more than one.

Dee, if you have enough primrose and columbine, me too, please.

So far I'm bringing:
    for Hedy- Malva Zebrina

for noticklish - white liatris, rose campion, coreopsis zagreb

for sienna - caryopteris WG

Let me know if I forgot anything, or any requests from my trade list. I'll have other stuff as well.
    Jo

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

George, no you didn't promise me any iris. Right now I need nothing but thanks for the offer :)

Have a good trip.

Sue

• casey1gw
    18 years ago

George, we're all going to miss you. You're a big part of this swap. Have a good trip and we'll see you in the spring.

If you have any bomb-type peonies that haven't been promised, I'll take one. Should I wait til spring to bring you pachysandra or can Dee can bring you a bagfull?

Sue, I'd love some echinops. I'm going to try again after the voles decimated the one I had.

Anyone else have something they're looking for? This year I'm trying to have more of a fall garden so I'm lookinf for grasses and hardy hibiscus.

We should also decide on the food we're bringing. Ron, are we having a barbecue? The weather will be spectacular so it'll be great being outside.

Hedy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Hedy, you just reminded me...I have a peony I can bring if you want. It came with my house so I don't know the name. Take a look.

{{gwi:1053708}}

Sue

• noticklish
    18 years ago

ego45 do you have someone to take the siberian iris and pachysandra if you do not make it?

• casey1gw
    18 years ago

Sue, that color peony would be perfect.

I just dug 2 carex muskimensis (palm sedge). I grew it from seed so I have more if anyone wants it. It's a bright green, short grass that grows in the shade.

Hedy

• ego45
    18 years ago

After careful deliberation (with my wife, haha) I think I could make to the party.
    I'll be there at 10am and have to leave not later than 11am. This way I'll be on time to JFK.
    I'll bring all I promised and probably more (have to clean up my pot ghetto, LOL).

Tina and noticklish, since I'll be not able to put in a ground anything for two weeks, would you be so kind to pot dicentra and sib.iris in a such way that they'll survive untill my return.
    Pachysandra is virtually undestructable and could wait for me in a shopping bags.

See you on Sunday.
    George

• aeiger
    18 years ago

George, I will be coming with Dee! So I would still love those lilies. Sounds like her car may be cramped so I can always give you the Tamora in the spring. I have been too busy to dig it.

Sue, I'd still like the Meidiland and Acadia, and I always need rudbeckia and echinacia and other stuff.

I have Montauk daisy and If I have time to dig, salvia May Night, 4:o'clock seeds and whatever else I can find. So much of my garden got PM and BS during the weeks traveling back and forth to hospital and some of the weeds are taller than me!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Abi, I would love some Montauk daisy. Would it be better to plant that in the spring though? I'll dig the Acadia tonight (don't know if I'll be able to get the Meidiland) and bring extra bags of Rudbekia and try to grab a chunk of Echinacea.

Sue

• aeiger
    18 years ago

Sue, I planted my Montauk in the fall and it did quite nicely. Now after 4 years it is a monster size plant. I actually took these cuttings in the spring so they should have a great root system. The baby plants are blooming now. /Abi

• ego45
    18 years ago

Abi, glad to hear from you.
    I'll bring lilies for you, rooted 'Tardiva' (have to check on that, but think she rooted OK).
    Tamora definitely could wait till spring.
    I'd like to have a 'May Night' if you could pot it, otherwise maybe for spring?

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

P.S. Hedy, I dug up and gave away all of my hardy hibiscus last year, so none left, sorry.

• siennact
    18 years ago

George, if you want I'll save the dicentra for spring too. It looks horrible right now anyway, I think the drought has stressed it. Then you won't have to worry about it sitting in the pot ghetto while you're gone.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I have Dicentra spectabilis in containers already, as they were in an area I had planned for something else, if anyone wants some.

• noticklish
    18 years ago

I noticed that someone was going to bring seeds. Does anyone have extra red love lies bleeding, blue bachelors buttons, medium height cutting sunflowers, or zinnias? Slugs ate all my zinnias and sunflowers this year so I didn't see a single bloom !

• noticklish
    18 years ago

ego45 -I would like a david phlox if you have the time and space.

• lidigentri
    18 years ago

Jo - I will bring Peony, Kniphofia, Allium tuberosum, and calamintha for you

Hedy - wll bring Calamintha for you. I would be interested in the geranium and foxglove if no one has claimed these.

Noticklish - Any Ajuga will be great!

Sue - if you have time, I would like to try some Campanula. Does this tend to flop over or do you pinch it back?

Are we bringing food/drinks? I would feel terrible if Ron showed up with burgers, etc. and all I'd show up with was inedible vegetation....

Liliane

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Ron, let us know if you need anything in particular - paper goods, plastic utensils, condiments, etc. Otherwise, since I'm so fond of junk food, I'll bring chips and something chocolate!

:)
    Dee

• ronr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

looks like we are going to have a perfect day,yes I'm definitely bringing burgers and dogs,rolls,condiments,etc.
    if anyone wants to bring other food or drink stuff to add to the buffet great. looking forward to seeing you all on sunday,it should be a great time.
    ron

• cloud_9
    18 years ago

I'm coming, but I won't know what I am bringing till I dig it up tomorrow. Sorry I haven't had time to post possibilities to take requests from. The boys have kept me hopping!

Foodwise I will bring deviled eggs since they were such a nonPC hit this summer.
    Deb

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

So far, I have a half dozen pots of Festuca glauca, a couple of black-eyed Susans, regular calamintha, and some knautia. For food, I was thinking of making some oatmeal cookies, since we don't seem to have unbelievable quantities of dessert :-)

• Mayax68
    18 years ago

I would like to thank you all for the nice time I had at the swap and all the waonderful plants I picked up. I already put them all in the ground and watered them twice :)

Maya.

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

We're relatively new to the Woodbury/Litchfield area and I've just come across this thread from last fall -- can anyone give me more information about this terrific-sounding plant swap (which sounds as if it takes place in Woodbury?) I'd love to take part in the next one! Thanks for any info!