Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden #2

The first thread was getting long and I wanted to post a bunch of photos today, so I started a new one.

I've been seeing turkeys for a few days now, but only glimpses through the vegetation. Today two adults (probably two females, but I'm not sure) paraded their poults through the front lawn.

One adult saw me looking out the window, and apparently gathered the poults together while she considered the situation.

A great display ensued; either as a gentle warning, or maybe just showing off the family to me.

Cute little birds.

A crow gave a loud warning call, and the turkeys all froze in place.

False alarm, at least for my yard, and the turkeys decided to move on in a leisurely manner.

Things like this make Thanksgiving very difficult.

Claire

Comments (9)

• lschibley
    15 years ago

Wow!

Just amazing.

Did I mention Wow!

Lisa

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa: That's how I felt this morning, when I wondered why the cat was looking out the window (she didn't bother to get up from the bed, though). I saw the turkeys right outside the bedroom window and ran for my camera. The turkeys slowly meandered around three sides of the house; one adult leading, the babies hopping over obstacles, and one adult following up on guard. I took 57 photos.

Eek! I just looked out the computer window and saw a turkey! It disappeared into the vegetation toward the feeder. This is the time I refill the feeders, so I may have to scare them away.

Unfortunately, the next-door neighbors will be back this week with their dog, so this may be the end of turkey sightings.

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

The whole gang is out there again, but moving through the garden and not so visible.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Wow Claire...Great Turkey shots! What a hoot! They are such funny birds. So interesting to watch.

This is a shot of a little bird bath/water feature that I put together a few years ago. The birds love it and it adds some sound and life to the garden and deck. The sound of the water as it drips off the pots and stones is both relaxing and soothing. The birds drink, cool off and take lots of bird baths. It's fun to watch.

Claire...how are your Eppis dong? Mine are in bud. As you can see, the pink one seems to be ahead of the red. The buds grow slowly so they are on the plant for a long time before they open into full flower. I have them hung in a new location this year...mostly shade. It will be interesting to see if that changes anything for them. I just took these pics. You can see how far ahead the pink buds are.

Buds will look like this for a while.

This the next stage in their development. They will stay like this for well over a week before they open.

They come to life as soon as I put them outside. They have been out for about 4 weeks now and in their new location for just over one. I hope yours are doing well.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice birdbath/water feature sooey - is there a recirculating pump inside? and did you glue down the stones on top? I'll bet the little birds feel safe on top.

No sign of buds on my eppis - they seem happy enough outside in some morning sun and they've been out since May 7. I just went outside to check, but it's getting dark. I'll look closer tomorrow morning.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Claire. Yep, I have a $19. recirculating pump from Agway which is hidden under the pots with a hose that runs up through the holes in the pot bottoms. The stones are not glued on, they just sit there. I think the birds do feel safe on it but what they really like is the water 'spout' that comes out the top. It comes up just less than 2". The birds love to wallow in it. At the end of the season I take it all apart and store it with the rest of the pots. It was a fun project.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

sooey: I peered closely at my eppis today, and there's at least one very very tiny bud! I wouldn't even have noticed it if you hadn't posted the photo. I hope some more will come out. First bloom for these guys.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Oh, Happy Day! Your first bud! Congrats!

sooey

Original Author
    12 years ago

Bumping so this thread doesn't slide off into oblivion.

Claire