Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Tower Hill Botanic Garden - June 2012

pixie_lou
11 years ago

It may take me a couple days to get all the photos up, but I visited Tower Hill Botanic Garden today and thought I would post my photos here in the Gallery. I renewed my membership today. And after years of only visiting once or twice a year, I'm going to try real hard this year to visit once a month.

As usual, when you drive in, your first view is of the apple orchard.

And more often than not, there is a turkey or 2 hanging out in the orchard to greet you.

But now, they also have a cow to greet you!

Walking thru the Gazebo to the main entrance, I was happy to see this huge hedge of peonies

And this interesting painted tree!

Comments (8)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of fruit budding up.
    Apples

I think these are raspberries

I think these are elderberries

Blueberries

And oranges

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some interesting containers.

And a gorgeous Sedum garden

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

Nice photos (and nice cow). I still haven't gotten to Tower Hill (yet) but I do plan to one of these days. I didn't realize they had an emphasis on fruit - I just looked at their website and saw they have an Heirloom Apple Orchard. The Moss Steps look fascinating too.

I hope you post more photos.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Claire. Yes - I'll be posting more pictures. I took a couple hundred pictures, so it's taking me a while to look thru all of them and pick out the most interesting ones. They have a limonaia and an orangerie - which are wonderful to visit in the winter. But now for the summer, they have all the citrus trees outside. (If you noticed, the orange tree was in a pot). The 3 berry photos - those were random bushes I found on the back side of their pond.

Speaking of the pond - there pond is slowly swampifying. Lots of cat tails are taking over.

And even siberian iris by the side

But it is home to a lot of wildlife

If you look close - you an see a bluebird peeking out of this nesting box.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The moss steps are pretty amazing. My daughter loves them. We are trying to create moss steps at home, but have had limited luck so far. IIRC - they were transported from some house in Worcester. Which is amazing - since they look so natural in their setting at Tower Hill. The moss steps are in the middle of the woods, and are surrounded by shade gardens. I didn't take any overall photos, but it is interesting how they have made "formal garden beds" look so at home in the middle of the woods.

Moss Steps

And surrounding plants

And since we are on the subject of moss - here is a moss covered bench

And a fabulous moss covered log

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting foliage. Even though many of the plants have labels on them - I didn't capture the labels in my photographs. So I don't know what a lot of these are.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now for some random flowers

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And now to conclude this months tour of Tower Hill, here are some random shots

I hope everyone enjoys looking at these photos. Thanks to Claire for setting up the Gallery, so I actually have a place to post these photos. Hopefully I'll be headed back to Tower Hill soon and will have more photos to post.