Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know anything about Royal River Roses from Maine?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 8:45

Has anyone ever heard of or know anything about Royal River Roses? I have been weeding through catalogs and found an old 1995 catalog of theirs but can't find a website. They were located in North Yarmouth Maine, ring any bells?

Thanks
pm2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know anything about Royal River Roses from Maine?

It was started by Suzy Verrier, who sold it to David Somebody. The line was that he was a very nice guy, but didn't have much business sense. He ran it for a couple of years before it went out of business in the late 90's.

My Jacques Cartier and Charles de Mills came from there.

o

Gee that's too bad mad gallica. They had a nice catalog. Do you mailorder roses and if so, where do you buy your roses from?

Thanks for the help.. :-)
pm2

o

Interesting... I was thinning out my catalog collection recently and I finally got rid of that one. I had hung on to it for a long time because it looked good and I always meant to give it a try.

o

Interesting... I was thinning out my catalog collection recently and I finally got rid of that one. I had hung on to it for a long time because it looked good and I always meant to give it a try.

o

There really isn't much left on this side of the border. The Americans are all either major producers that don't sell much besides the latest and greatest, and boutique nurseries that have zero to none experience with life below zero. They sell rooted cuttings that will do fine if they are hardy varieties, but those are often few and far between, and their usual offerings are often very difficult to get up to size in this climate. You also can't necessarily trust their advice on what's hardy or what's best for their roses.

So the standard source for roses is Pickering in Ontario. They ship from Buffalo, so there aren't any border issues. Palatine is a relatively new Ontario nursery that I've heard good things about. They do mostly modern roses, and I don't know if they charge for a phytosanitary certificate. Pickering doesn't. It's usually $25, which isn't bad for a large order, but a killer cost on a small one. Hortico is the other big Ontario nursery. I've never ordered from them, and they have a very uneven reputation. There are people who have been happy with them, and people who can't stand them. They used to primarily be a wholesale operation, and part of their problem was having absolutely no clue how to deal with customers.

A lot of it depends specifically what you are looking for. Pickering is an acceptable replacement. Just don't make the mistake of thinking they are growing roses on the frozen tundra just because they are in Canada. They are on the lake shore, and warmer than most of us.

o

• Posted by riprap midcoast Maine (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 28, 07 at 11:16

Suzy is still going strong, though, as North Creek Farm
(on 217 in Sebasco). Great nursery, great roses.

o

It was an interesting catalog Wendy..too bad they couldn't make a go of it.

Mad Gallica...thanks for the rose supplier recommendations.

I am really looking for hardy, disease resistant fragrant roses...perhaps some old roses and some of the new shrub roses. I am organic and want to keep rose growing manageable.

riprap..thanks for the news about North Creek Farm. I just found their website. Will see what they have available.

Thanks! :-)
pm2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here