Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

I hereby resolve...

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

...to maintain my compost heap better.

...to start veg garden earlier.

...to deadhead perennials all summer.

WHAT ARE YOUR GARDEN RESOLUTIONS FOR 2011?

(Oh yes; and Happy New Year!)

Carol

Comments (12)

• ginny12
    13 years ago

...to learn to live with "not perfect"

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I was thinking of starting a similar post.

I resolve to
    . . . remove the garlic scapes and harvest the garlic early enough
    . . . share more garden produce with neighbors
    . . . finish getting my mixed shrub/perennial beds edged so I don't need to worry about keeping the grass out of them.
    . . . plant everything in the pot ghetto in its permanent spot.
    . . . finish learning to weld so that I can make my own trellises.
    . . . just hang out in the garden more - maybe a comfy chair in each part of the garden would help?

For me the other part of this is looking back at last year's gardening resolutions. Since I ended up working away from home for much of the summer, most of my goals last year have again ended up on this year's list since I only get part way done on each of them. So from last year's resolutions . . .
    I planted everything I bought this year as well as some of the things in the pot ghetto.
    I edged one bed and weeded all of them.
    I learned how to run the welder and used it to freeze the hinges on a folding metal baker's shelf for one home-made trellis.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

I resolve to keep my expectations low, thereby avoiding major disappointment! Anything that grows better than "mediocre" will be a nice bonus.

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

ooh bill, you wild and crazy guy!

Happy New Year One and All!

I resolve to accept the fact that I just might be here longer than I expected, since I already have been.

I resolve to renovate the perennial bed with all the poison ivy and live to tell the tale.

I resolve to root some cuttings of my grandparent's magnolia.

and lose weight

: D

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I resolve to stuff as many plants and flowers in the garden as is humanly possible.

I resolve to move any plant that hasn't been moved at least three times.

I resolve to enjoy every minute of the gardening season and take three times more photos than I usually do.

I resolve not to wait until my garden is perfect to invite friends over to enjoy it too.

:-)

• terrene
    13 years ago

I resolve not to make any resolutions! :-D

I like gardening to be low-pressure (usually). The rest of life is mostly a grind, and gardening is mostly sweet enjoyment. Except for some associated tasks that are not fun like weeding, mowing the lawn, and the relentless battle with invasive plants, the last of which has been by far the most grueling work and has been ongoing for 6 years.

On 2nd thought, I resolve to mulch better this year, since last year it would have helped a lot with the drought to be more diligent about mulching (also looks nicer).

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I resolve to relinquish tight control of my garden and to let nice plants grow as they wish (within reason), tweaking the garden as it grows.

I resolve to garden with a light hand as an editor, not as a strict disciplinarian.

I resolve to appreciate what results, so long as the plants are well grown and happy in their places and look good.

I resolve to roll with the punches and adapt to the unexpected, without taking my gardener self too seriously.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

No resolutions,(because I can re-reason anything with the best of 'em) but rather, for 2011 and beyond, I have a dusted-off mantra from WW II England. If there is balance and wellness within me, there will be balance and wellness in my gardens. This 'mantra' is on my refrigerator and on my desk and I'm thinking about framing a copy for the bathroom! It works for me!

Happy, Healthy New Year!
    Jane

• defrost49
    13 years ago

lol, Carol, I am resolving to making the vegetable garden produce longer. This year get at least one low tunnel made.
    - finish the slopey bed, a mix of shrubs and perennials
    - finish removing perennials that were put into a holding bed when we moved in 2007. Said bed is becoming choked with weeds.
    - visit a MA north shore nursery and/or garden tour.
    - plant tomatoes further apart

• chardie
    13 years ago

I resolve to not rush the season by buying pansies in early March; to scale back on the number of annuals; to finish the edging in the new front bed; to finally figure out how to block my neighbor's ugly back yard; to concentrate more on finishing painting the house rather than playing in the gardens!

• scpearson
    13 years ago

I resolve to...
    -continue to plant more perennials again this year.
    -share plants with this wonderful new site I found here during a snowy weekend in Connecticut.
    -start more plants from seed (what satisfaction picking those tomatoes and green beans for dinner this year).
    - use my gardening gloves more often so my hands don't look so awful.
    - plant more blueberry plants.
    - the same with strawberry plants.
    - find something that is happy in my shade herb garden besides the ivy that is taking it over.
    - get to the Boston Flower show again this year.
    - Maybe do something about my dream of a small greenhouse.
    Susan from NE Connecticut

• ravenh2001
    13 years ago

plant asperagras again. I planted 2000 plants 3 years ago and a neighbor harrowed it under. I plowed and harrowed a plot then plowed deep to plant. I planted( spread the roots and cover with 2" of soil). I intended to cover as they grew.He farms 3 ac of my land and came to harrow that, saw my plowed field and chose to help by harrowing that while he was hooked up. About 50 plants made the cut. I think I am over remembering my back after planting now. this time purple giants?