Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubby_gw

Brugmansia (Angel Trumpet)

Rubby
10 years ago

Anyone here in New England growing Brugmansia? Looking to get another variety or two. I have one. Willing to trade if interested.

I understand it is winter. lol

Comments (6)

• Rubby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

Hello Rubby,
    I do not grow it, but have talked to a lady in Hebron, CT who does grow quite a few each year and sells them from her little greenhouse. Last year she had yellow blossoms - I do not know the variety. Two years ago, at the end of the season, they were huge and she was giving them away. If you're interested, I can get her address.

Jane

• Rubby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill,

It's a shame on your history of Brug. At least you got blooms, right?

The one I grow, pictured above, I grow from scratch every year. The picture was taken maybe Aug/Sept.

In October, I cut the entire plant into 6" sections and stick them in water. I throw the rest of the plant away. When the cuttings start rooting, I stick them in a 4" pot of soil and let them grow. When frost comes, I stick them in a basement window.

I plant them up to a 6" in February. Then I put them back into the giant pot pictured above in April, when the temps don't drop too cold.

Beautiful 5 foot plant with flowers in Mid-July.

Where are you located? I can get you a plant. I believe it is Brugmansia versicolor

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Maybe that's the way to do it, rather than growing on the same old plant. Yours certainly look healthy!

I'm in Providence, RI. Where are you located?

{{gwi:5901}}

• dfaustclancy
    5 years ago

Hi, are you still growing these? I think I have the exact same one (color-wise). I have a question for you (and any other brugs grower)... I have an 8' brugs that is 15 years old that I drag in and out of the house every winter/spring. I am in Zone 5. This year, I have sunk the pot they are in into the ground near a pond. The bottom 3" of the pot may be in water ALL of the time. I thought this might help them to stay watered. Well, they are not looking too great. (Leaves yellowing, not much green coming out.) Wondering if the roots aren't getting enough air -- and hoping I'm not drowning this plant! I saw folks who cut them into little pieces and grow them on from there. I don't think I want to do that -- yet! Thought of lifting it from it's spot and putting drainage pebbles in the hole to raise it up past water line. Can't get real good info on this. Can you help? Thanks.