Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brugmansia (Angel Trumpet)

Posted by Rubby 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 9:30

Anyone here in New England growing Brugmansia? Looking to get another variety or two. I have one. Willing to trade if interested.

I understand it is winter. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brugmansia (Angel Trumpet)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 11:43

Hello Rubby,
I do not grow it, but have talked to a lady in Hebron, CT who does grow quite a few each year and sells them from her little greenhouse. Last year she had yellow blossoms - I do not know the variety. Two years ago, at the end of the season, they were huge and she was giving them away. If you're interested, I can get her address.

Jane

o

I've grown one in a pot for several years, but it never seemed to make good, fresh growth, although it did bloom every year. But although the flowers were fine, the foliage always seemed stunted and just struggling to survive. Although it wouldn't die, and it did bloom every year, it just never looked really healthy. I finally gave up and cut it way back. It's in my sunroom now, but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

FYI, Logee's in Danielson, CT has several varieties for sale. I gave the current owner's mother young plants of a species from Peru that I had grown, which was Brugmansia sanguinea (Datura sanguinea way back then - c. 1972). Anyway she, and now her son, used that to create some of the pink and salmon varieties that they sell now.

Photobucket

o

Thanks Bill,

It's a shame on your history of Brug. At least you got blooms, right?

The one I grow, pictured above, I grow from scratch every year. The picture was taken maybe Aug/Sept.

In October, I cut the entire plant into 6" sections and stick them in water. I throw the rest of the plant away. When the cuttings start rooting, I stick them in a 4" pot of soil and let them grow. When frost comes, I stick them in a basement window.

I plant them up to a 6" in February. Then I put them back into the giant pot pictured above in April, when the temps don't drop too cold.

Beautiful 5 foot plant with flowers in Mid-July.

Where are you located? I can get you a plant. I believe it is Brugmansia versicolor

o

Maybe that's the way to do it, rather than growing on the same old plant. Yours certainly look healthy!

I'm in Providence, RI. Where are you located?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here