Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Anyone going to RI flower & garden show Feb. 21-24?

carol6ma_7ari
11 years ago

The RI garden show is almost a month before the Boston show, and I am ready for a hit of warm humid air, growing green plants, and impulse garden purchases. Is anyone else here on the NE gardening forum, planning to go? It's in downtown Providence which is an hour's drive for me, from Boston; but it's a lot cheaper and faster than a plane ticket to Florida.

Carol

Comments (6)

• molie
    11 years ago

Not this year. We went to Providence last year and to the CT Flower Show the year before that. I actually liked the CT one better.
    Molie

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh you CT-ers! So far the only replies to both garden show queries I made, are from Connecticut gardeners. I hope the RI gardeners on this forum, and maybe the eastern and southeast MA ones, will want to go to the RI one. Otherwise, the only attendee will be me!

My plan: to go there, Feb. 22 or 23, enjoy the various live plants on display, and buy the packets of veg. seed I'll need for my potager. Actual veg. plants such as tomatoes, eggplants etc., can wait until May. The money I'll save on shipping costs for the seeds such as bush beans, peas, lettuces, will probably cover my entrance fee. It's a nice midwinter break.

Carol

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

Sorry you're disappointed. It certainly will not happen again.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What won't happen? My being disappointed?

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Carol, I live in Providence and I've been to the show a few times. I have thoroughly enjoyed the display gardens. I think they are very creative and very beautiful. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is that more of the floor space seems to be dedicated to retail sales, and much of it really has nothing to do with gardening. Very few vendors actually sell plants, seeds, bulbs, etc. Most of it belongs in a home show or maybe a craft show. It's a shame because the Convention Center in Providence is a really great venue for such shows. To answer your question, I won't be going this year.

{{gwi:5901}}

• diggingthedirt
    11 years ago

I love the PVD show, and I'm planning to go. Actually, I haven't looked at my calendar yet, and I have a nagging suspicion that my DH has other plans for that weekend that involve me - but I'm going to try to squeeze it in.

There are some good speakers this year, including Julie Moir Messervy and Melinda Myers (Small Space Gardens).

Anyway, I love the show - it's so easy to deal with compared to some of the big shows. I really don't mind the vendors! If people want to buy pots and pans there, and it supports the show, so what? It doesn't affect me at all. OK, I guess I'll admit that I've bought a scarf there every year for several years - and I'll look for that booth again.

I also LOVE that there's a bookstore there - oh, I hope it's there again - where you can browse garden (and other) books. We are lucky enough to have a small local bookstore in my town, but they don't stock many garden books. So, I'll buy some of those at the show, and then try to figure out where I can stuff them in my already packed garden book shelves.

Oh, yes, the display gardens are usually very nice, too!