Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Anyone in NE growing Meconopsis (Blue Poppy)?

carol6ma_7ari
12 years ago

I've fallen in love with the pictures (never seen one in person) of Meconopsis Betonicifolia, the Himalayan Blue Poppy. They evidently can grow in Alaska, Oregon coast, the Jardin de Metis on the Canadian Gaspe Peninsula, and Scotland. Found a recent how-to-grow book about them, and it might be difficult unless I have partial shade, hottest maximum temp. under 80 degrees, moist soil, etc. etc.

Does anyone grow them in New England? or know of anyone who does? Most likely successful along the coast.

Carol

Comments (31)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

There was a thread in the New England Forum about a year ago:

Any luck with meconopsis betonicifolia?

Claire

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Asarum and Claire. I had already found that thread, but I was hoping someone had grown the poppy along the coast of Maine, in the shade, or at the top of New Hampshire. I found a 2009 book, "Blue Heaven" by Bill Terry, about the Meconopsis poppies, their history and care. He lives in coastal British Columbia. I'm including a link to the Jardin de Metis.

So I'm psyched to do the 10-hour drive from Boston to the Jardin de Metis in mid-July, to see the elephant, so to speak. And maybe bring back some viable seeds and plant them outside in front of an open refrigerator....

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Jardin de Metis

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

I planted a Meconopsis "Lingholm" last spring. It grew well for a while, but then it seems to have gone dormant fairly early, in August as I recall. It may come back in spring, but something tells me that it just died, and did not just go dormant. We'll see what happens. This hybrid is supposed to be a bit easier to grow than the species, but it looks almost identical.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill, if your Meconopsis comes back and is about to bloom next summer, please notify me! I'll come over and visit it. Besides, I'd love to see your garden.

Carol

• terrene
    12 years ago

There were some posters on the Winter Sowing forum that have successfully grown this plant, one in WA and one in Nova Scotia. Check out thread.

It's an amazing blue flower, but I don't fully relate to the appeal of growing some ultra finicky plant indigenous to a cool mountainside halfway around the world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sowing himalayan blue poppy

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Carol,
    I will certainly let you know. I don't know how early it might show up, or even if it will at all, but when things are peaking, I'd be happy to have you see the garden.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Terrene,
    I think it's just the challenge of growing these, not to mention that there simply isn't any other plant that looks like they do. I don't know if you've ever seen them, but I did in England and you just have to see them to get hooked.
    I think so much of the fun of gardening is going beyond the ordinary sometimes. Same reason I grow camellias and cacti outdoors, because most RI gardeners never grow them!

For a beautiful blue flower, even if Meconopsis doesn't work, I have a favorite little spring blooming perennial. Lithodora "Heavenly Blue" which I think is gorgeous!

Took this Meconopsis photo at the Chelsea Flower Show (2009) in London.

And this is my lithodora in my xeric garden spring 2011

{{gwi:471677}}

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

I wonder how the Meconopsis would do near an artificial waterfall or fountain where the water splashes on large rocks. I'm thinking that the water on rocks might help to lower temperatures on hot days (so long as the humidity isn't at saturation levels). Large rocks could also provide some shade and buffer the temperature swings (think grotto with blue flowers).

You'd have to watch out that it didn't get too wet and succumb to fungal diseases.

Just a thought.

Claire

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Claire, I discovered that someone in my town (with a foggy garden near the ocean/river) grew a few, a couple of years ago. There was an expensive private tour of that garden and a photo of the Meconopsis was posted. If I can get in touch with them (no luck so far), I'd like to see it - looks like it's next to a small pond or fountain. Here's a link to the photos of this garden.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: RI garden

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Hey Bill_z6

Are you the same guy who comes to Annie's Swaps in Goffstown? I sure hope so! That lithodora is dy-no-mite!
    A lovely Blue and it looks like it might be a spring bloomer? Can you post the specifics of this plant for me? I'm curious as to: height,sun requirements, hardiness, soil preference PH, and if i can get a slip or seed from you. Can I? If you're not the same Bill, I'd be happy to send you postage for a piece of the root, that's HOW MUCH I LIKE THIS PLANT.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Hi Debra,

Sorry not that Bill. The Lithodora is Lithodora diffusa "Heavenly Blue". It is generally rated as hardy to zone 5, but I would give it a protected spot if possible. Full sun and it doesn't like wet feet, especially in winter. Blooms for me in May and June. It's a nice evergreen mound all year. It may have some dieback, which will be almost black parts, but a quick trim in spring will tidy it up. The color is amazing!

I don't know what kind of luck you'd have rooting it, but I could send you a couple of cuttings. FYI, it was also available as very nice large plants this past spring at Briggs nursery in Attleboro, MA. From Boston not that far.
    It may also be available more locally to you.

If you have an email address I can get your info. Meanwhile I'll read up about propagation from cuttings.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debra, I happened to be searching the website started by Dave, about gardening information (sorry, I had to describe the website in that roundabout way because Gardenweb considers it an advertisement -- but I don't) and had just looked up Lithodora diffusa "Grace Ward" which is what Bill is growing. The site will tell you where it can grow, whether it needs dry or wet, sun or shade, etc.

So go to the garden website I am trying to hint at the name of and do a search for "Lithodora diffusa". Good luck!

Carol

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Carol, it's "Heavenly Blue", not "Grace Ward". But I have seen that one on line as well, and it may also be hardy in zone 5. It didn't seem to have quite the intense color of "Heavenly Blue". When I was in Oregon in May 2010, I saw mounds and mounds of "Heavenly Blue" in gardens everywhere, and I knew I had to have it!

• asarum
    12 years ago

I too love lithodora, but have lost several plants over the course of a few years. They seem to overwinter poorly in my yard. So the second year they look sort of sad with lots of die back and then peter out.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Asarum, do they get full sun and good air circulation where you had them? They don't like wet feet or heavy soil. I have mine on a very slight, almost unnoticeable, mound. I also have it "mulched" with crushed stone, as in fact that whole xeric garden area is. I think the stones help by drying out quickly. I don't overwater in summer, and only feed once in spring. Maybe you can try again. Luckily, they're not expensive plants, and I understand they are readily grown from seeds as well.

• asarum
    12 years ago

Yes, I have sandy soil, they were in full sun, and I tend to under fertilize. Perhaps over the course of the summer other plants got too close to them? I always try again if I like something. I am always up for adding another plant to the cart. I have CHAD (Compulsive Horticultural Acquision Disorder).

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Bill,

You can send me a private email from Gardenweb. Just click on "mypage" and send me your private email address that way. Then I can send a SASE with my home address to you. Maybe one of those padded bags... Whew! What a roundabout way to get an address and a coupla cuttings. In the meantime, I will checkout Briggs come springtime. I drive for plants... That oughtta be a bumpersticker.

I find that spring-growing cuttings root readily in just water (hahaha - that is so funny - until there is something that you really want, then forget it!)

Carol - I got your clues and went to the website. Thanks. To keep the intrigue going, I won't mention it either!

I think I will also look around for some seeds. Boy! When I want something I get motivated. Feels good!

I can just picture this lovely lithodora in my front rose garden underneath the seven rose bushes I have planted there now in an oval shape. Blue is so pleasing. And I'm glad Bill mentioned that it is the "heavenly" blue. Thanks again Bill.

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Bill, Carol, Claire, Asarum:
    Want a good laugh? I searched for lithodora "heavenly blue" and didn't a string from April 2011 show up! It's Bill bragging about his purchase of Lithodora from Briggs, then saying he knows nothing about the plant. Then there's me chiming in to give him all the info I got from surfing the net. Then there's Claire and Asarum chiming in -- is that hysterical or what? Same people -- a year ago, same plant! The only difference is that now I want the dang plant! hahAHAHAH

I signed up for a plant newsletter called Twigs and Sprigs at Briggs (what else?) and asked Gary Briggs if they will be carrying the plant this spring. It looks like a really nice nursery with a cafe and all, so it will be worth the trip! Plants and eating - now that's a great hobby.

Now that this plant has made it into my "cognizance" I betcha I will see it everywhere.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Was I bragging? Geez I hope not! Maybe "being enthusiastic" would be a more fair description. But if one were going to brag about a plant, the Lithodora sure is a good one to brag about. Amazing color, especially int the spring garden when there is so much yellow, pink and white. Not that those don't all work too, but this blue really stands out.

I'm always trying to grow things that are not commonly seen. Very often, there are plants that are perfectly happy in my climate, yet for some reason you just don't see many of them. As an example, consider Hydrangeas and Camellias, both have several kinds that are hardy in zone 6. Everybody has seen Hydrangeas everywhere, and they are, of course, spectacular. You can see them on almost any street in town. But Camellias, many of which are just as hardy, are almost never seen. Why? Just that nobody seems to know that they can grow them, so nobody ever looks to buy them, so the nurseries don't bother to stock them, so nobody finds them available, and so they don't know they can grow them,...........circle complete!

Well anyway, that's why I try to grow some of the unusual things along with the tried and true plants. Success or failure, it's a learning experience either way.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Outstanding Lithodora, Bill! Love the combination with the rocks, grass and the succulent.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the compliment. That rock had a shape that was begging to have some sempervivum and sedum planted under the overhang. That "grass" is actually Hesperaloe parvifoia, known also as the "Red Yucca", although it's not a Yucca.

How are your cactus plants doing?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Hi Bill,

I do remember the photos you posted of your new renovation and I was quite impressed with the job you did. The whole project came out great. Lots of good ideas and execution. AND, it looks like low maintenance in many ways too. I will look forward to seeing your new space mature.

The catcus in one location didn't do well over the winter last year but I still had a patch of them in the fall. I've been immersed in one project or another that has kept me out of the garden. I barely have had a chance to even walk around the yard since summer, so I haven't noticed what the cactus are doing. I'm hoping that no snow cover and mild temps were good for them this year, but we have had some very cold temps with no snow cover. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to check them out next time I'm out and I'll let you know.

I can't believe it is almost February! Spring is right around the corner and I can't wait!

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here we are before Spring in 2017 and I'm now thinking about a northwest trip to see meconopsis in bloom. I'll never get to Le Jardin des Metis in upper Quebec - long long drive, maybe 3 days - so I could plan instead to see the flower where the local temperature stays below 80, coastal Washington state and into Vancouver. I did get lithodora and it "took" well. I hope it spreads, but meanwhile it's alive and turns the air blue! Not with profanity, just with its vivid color. There's something about blue: I love hydrangeas, linum perenne, and stained glass windows.

• asarum
    7 years ago

Last year I caught an open Garden day and went to Sakonnet Gardens in Little Compton, Rhode Island. A fantastic walled garden where they have managed the climate well enough to grow mecononpsis. I had never seen the real plant before and didn't realize its actual size.

• bill_ri_z6b
    7 years ago

asarum, I have seen the Meconopsis at Sakonnet Gardens in the last two years. They were also selling them there, but I don't remember which vendor had them. I took this photo in 2015.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow! Meconopsis growing around here! I was thinking of buying a small dormsize refrig. and setting it into my garden behind some meconopsis, with the door open. That was a joke.) I'd love to know if the plants did thrive here (other than at Sakonnet Gardens). Who bought them and grew them?

• lyg9190
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Carol,

I saw Himalayan Blue Poppies in real life in several cottage gardens in the Canadian Rockies during my stay in Banff, very close to the Banff Springs Hotel. It has been my obsession since to grow them myself! However, few sites mail life plants to my upstate NY location and despite rigorous attempts with cold frames and perfect conditions, I have not seen a plant through to bloom. Good News. Thre is a place named Blue Poppy Garden in Ellsworth/Sedgwick Maine where the flowers seem to thrive. I plan to go there when I visit my kids in Blue Hill Maine. Here is a link: http://ellsworthamerican.com/archive/2004/06-17-04/ea_news8_06-17-04.html

• Ian Smith
    last year

Stumbled upon this thread as I am likely moving back to Maine sooner than later and haven’t shaken the fantasy of finding a cool nook where these just might thrive. This was unexpectedly revived earlier this month when I was in Edinburgh and lucky enough to see the Botanic Garden’s good-sized collection in full bloom. Pic below taken June 4. They really are stunning in person and some are really quite big! True blue is the rarest of flower colors, its a special treat to see it displayed by such a showy yet particular plant.

• Barrheadlass
    last year

Years ago i bought a few at Blue Meadow …anyone remember that? My husband told me i should just light matches to dollar bills. i am in southeastern MA and never had one live.

• lyg9190
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have tried and failed many times from many seed sources in The Helderbergs of NYS near Albany. This article claims there are regions in VT and ME where people have succeeded. https://www.greenhousegrower.com/production/plant-culture/big-on-blue-poppy/

There is a landscaper in Brooklyn ME named Blue Poppy but I don't see any images of blue poppies on their site. I'm going to retire in Maine and remain hopeful that I'll simulate the alpine envirnment they require.

I first saw them in Banff (Canadian Rockies) in gardens, scattered around like dandelions in end of June. Been obsessed ever since.