Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whoa! Conn. flower show same dates as RI show

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:03

Oh, no! Which one should I go to? It's a bit further to drive to Hartford CT from Boston, but maybe it's a bigger show? Who has been to both shows, to compare?

I suppose I could overload and "do" both shows in one long (horribly long) day, but---

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whoa! Conn. flower show same dates as RI show

I cannot compare, Carol, but can tell you that the Hartford show over the 20+ years I've attended, now has many more 'other-than-gardening' types of vendors and the few garden displays, although nicely landscaped, do not seem as robust or extensive as they once were. I see people leaving with new mops, earrings, vibrating pillows, but few bulbs or flowers. A GW member commented to me a few years ago at the Philadelphia show that that show's focus seemingly had turned toward a more stylization of gardening with more emphasis on floral arrangements and art with flowers versus down in the dirt gardening and growing, if you will. I think it is fair to say the same is true, on a much smaller scale, of the Hartford show. We go to the Hartford show because it is close and it's a nice way to spend few hours on a cold day and to have lunch out with the girls. Personally, I wouldn't drive from Boston to attend if Providence is easier for you. I'm guessing the shows are quite similar.

Kindly,
Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Hartford Flower Show-Why Attend?

o
RE: Whoa! Conn. flower show same dates as RI show

True, Jane, about the extensive 'other-than-gardening' type of vendors at the Hartford show of two years ago. So, because of that, we tried out the Providence show last year and found even more other types of vendors and too few actual gardens. For us, Providence is too far to drive for that type of experience, and we probably won't go to the CT show either.

Instead we're hoping for some interesting area gardens to visit during the Garden Conversancy Open House Programs this year.

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here