Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Removing snow from flat rubber roof?

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

I am EXHAUSTED. We have a 2000 sq. ft. roof (this was a former industrial bldg.) and have had so much snow that we decided we had to remove it before the next big storm, predicted to be another 15-20". The previous snow had accumulated on the roof to about 24" deep. We're worried about the safety: how much weight can this roof with its steel trusses and corrugated steel decking, take, before collapsing?

So for the last 3 days we've been up there with our 2 snow shovels, carefully removing a shovelful at a time, not taking it deep enough for the shovel to touch the expensive rubber roof, and then walking to the edge and tossing it. We left the snow several inches deep. There must be a better way for 2 people in their 70's to get this done!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Professional snow removal companies willing to climb up and shovel? Some sort of snow-blower that could work without damaging the rubber surface? Help!

Carol

Comments (7)

• Penelope
    13 years ago

I was toying with the idea of getting one of the electric snow shovels that was light enough to lift--unlike our big gas-powered machine--to use on sidewalk and deck, so I was reading reviews on Amazon. The question came up about snowblowers on gravel driveways and the need to keep them up a bit to avoid throwing the gravel around. Someone said if they kept the handles pushed down, pushing up the front edge of the blower, it was enough to keep the gravel from being thrown. I thought I read that someone else nailed a wooden strip or something to the bottom of the scoop to accomplish the same thing, though now I can't find that. In any case, I'd think the same thing would work for rubber roofs--you just need to make sure you're not digging into the membrane.

The model I'm considering, the Toro 38381, weighs 26 pounds: not light, but you could heave it around. It wouldn't handle two feet of snow in one pass since it's only 10" deep, but of course the bigger the machine the heavier it is.

You might also call roofing companies, I know a lot of them are keeping busy now dealing with ice dams and they might have people who could help you out. Good luck, it sure sounds like an exhausting and scary task.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THanks! I should look into getting that elec. snow shovel. I wonder if it can throw the snow far enough to go beyond the roof edge (to fall below).

The idea of lifting up a regular snowblower with a strip of wood is good. Maybe 2" up so the auger wouldn't touch the roof surface.

Meanwhile, I called around and found a plow service who will come in the day after they finish all their driveway plowing and 2 guys will shovel (with plastic shovels so as to not hurt the roof) the snow height down. I didn't even ask them how much it will cost, I'm desperate.

Carol

• scpearson
    13 years ago

Hello Carol,
    Just sending a shout out because I felt so bad when I read your posting (picturing you up on the roof). Glad to know you have help coming. Here in Connecticut there have been one after another roof collapses over the last week or so. Two have been horse barns, and several commercial buildings. Another one on this morning's news....
    What a taxing winter! Stay safe.
    Susan

• John Donovan
    7 years ago

As a former roofer I would suggest using plastic bucket shovels. Snow removal was the #1 reason to be called for leak repairs. The bucket shovels don't tend to have sharp edges and they hold a lot of snow.

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    7 years ago

a-HA, Mr. Donovan. I did an online search and found a poly grain shovel which fits your description. Thanks!

• John Donovan
    7 years ago

Several years late but I am glad I could help.