Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baptisia and deer?

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 14:13

Someone told me that baptisia is one of the (very few) plants that deer don't eat. I've heard that about so many plants that I know from experience that they do eat. So, does anyone have any first-hand experience with this, one way or another? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baptisia and deer?

Hi Ginny,

My never eaten by anything baptisia australis was maybe 5 years old when directly next to it, from seed, I planted lovely Charter's Pink double hollyhocks. Waited the 2 years it takes for them to bloom, and one August morning from my kitchen I spied 3 five foot tall stalks all in bloom. Have to get a picture - alas, no good batteries. Next morning with new batteries in camera, I charge out the back door and without looking ahead of me, I arrived at the garden to find 12" high bare stalks of hollyhock. Hollyhocks are deer canapes; baptisia? never one bite. I'd plant the baptisia.

Jane

o

Baptisia should have no deer problems.

Carol

o

Deer ate the baptisia once. I think it was Carolina Moonlight, the first year it set flower buds. I was not happy.

o

I've had Baptisia australis (just the common one, no specific cultivar) for many years in my deer infested area of town and never had any deer damage. Note it doesn't like to be moved as it has a long tap root.

Other plants deer have never bothered: heaths and heathers if you have the conditions for them. Also my heucheras haven't been bothered either (although these I've only had for 4 years).

Sue

o

Good news so far about baptisia. And I'm sorry about your hollyhocks, Jane. That's a painful experience after waiting so long to see them bloom.

Had to look up Carolina Moonlight, Madgallica. That's a new one for me. It seems to be a hybrid of two baptisia species, neither one of them australis, so maybe that's why the deer liked it.

Hoping for further input from people in deer habitat, like me.

o

Mine were never touched in my heavily deer infested garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here