Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Thalasso Cruso video

bill_ri_z6b
14 years ago

It seems that this is the only available video of her show from 1967 called "Making Things Grow". The author of the website tells us that WGBH said it does not have the funds to convert the archived tapes to a modern format. That's too bad because she was quite knowledgeable and had a straightforward approach to gardening. Listen to her comments as she learns about bonsai from her guest!

Comments (10)

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seems the link did not paste in the previous post, so here it is:
    http://www.michaelweishan.com/public_html/thalassaTV.html

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

See if this works

Here is a link that might be useful: Thalassa Cruso video

• corunum z6 CT
    14 years ago

Thank you both. Absolutely priceless film!

I've ordered a copy of her book "To Everything There Is a Season: The Gardening Year" from amazon.com which was recommended by Claire. This is a classic! Made my afternoon!

Jane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I just watched the whole video and it was not only educational but very humorous. I like her style, because she didn't take any shortcuts, she demonstrated the whole process from start to finish with enough detail, that you weren't left guessing. I wouldn't feel anxiety to try a bonsai after watching that video. I wish there were more of her tapes. She's a riot.

I looked on You Tube but nothing. I looked in the library system and they had 4 books but no videos. I did read on the PBS site, that this one was available because the new host of the Victory Garden took an old VHS tape of her program and digitized it. But it is expensive to do them all I guess.

I'm going to get the books from the library. Thanks for finding that Bill.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

One last thought, I wonder if the Mass Hort Library would have old videos to borrow? Jane, that is the book that sounded interesting to me too. Plus the tales of how she started a garden here, being a transplant from England.

I also wonder Claire, if you're reading, if it might be nice to have the link to her video on the FAQ posts on favorite books? Especially since she was a New England author.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

PM2: I can't put web links directly on the FAQ - they don't allow anything that might change in a few years. I can (and will) put a note to "do a search for Thalassa Cruso video and/or Michael Weishan", or something like that.

Claire

PS: I wonder if Meryl Streep could be enticed to take on Thalassa Cruso....

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Claire,
    If anyone could pull it off it would Meryl Streep! As far as I know there are no other videos available since WGBH has only the archived tapes (?) and Michael Weishan said that when he asked them about making more episodes available (presumably by transferring to DVD or some digital process?) they claimed that they simply did not have the budget resources. It's too bad. She was a real character!

PM2,
    I'm glad that some people got to enjoy that video!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

LOL Claire....we just saw Julie and Julia. Such a coincidence, that I had given that book to my daughter for Christmas two years ago. She loves to cook. I didn't realize at the time how popular the book was or that they would come out with the movie. Meryl did an amazing job, as usual.

Bill, I have one of those machines that burn video to DVDs. I haven't learned to use it yet, [g] but I need to put our old home movies onto DVD. It seems like a pretty small investment, but maybe they feel they would have to do it to a higher standard than a home video/DVD recorder.

• ginny12
    14 years ago

I loved Thalassa Cruso. Her books are great and still very useful. I never understood why Julia Child got so much publicity compared to Thalassa Cruso, especially when you consider that gardening is so much more fun than cleaning up the kitchen!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

My DD would much rather be in the kitchen. I don't understand it! Well, someone had to write a book about Julia before Meryl showed any interest. Maybe we can get Ellen to write a book about Thalassa. Do we know any New England gardeners with the name Thalassa? Then the book title could be 'Thalassa and Thalassa.' [g]