Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easycity

Which Nursery Near Boston Carries Chestnut, Hazelnut, or Persimmo

easycity
10 years ago

I live near Winchester's Mahoney Nursery, and last year I have good experience with Asian pear Hosui variety.
This spring, other than adding a Hosui or Korean Giant pear, I would like to plant other fruit and nut trees. I prefer buying from local nurseries.
Please keep in mind that I just started gardening, and still learning the basics. I have planted peach, cherry, plum, blueberry, hazelnut, none of them giving tasty fruits. So I want to start with tasty but fool-proof fruit and nut trees, hardy in New England 6b zone. I would appreciate any suggestions from fellow gardeners.

I saw Mulberry trees in Mahoney, so that will be a option for me.
My neighbor's chestnut trees yielded a lot of chestnuts every year. I wonder where I can get good quality trees locally.
I heard someone in Long Island area had consistent good harvest from a Japanese persimmon trees. I would like to know if Japanese persimmon can survive the worst possible winter in Boston area. If so, how can I get it?
I read that hazelnut trees are tough and general high-yielding. I bought several seedlings two years ago (2012 Spring), and they had been very hardy. But they looked like a bush forever. I wonder if I can buy mature hazelnut trees 3' to 5' tall.

Last year I was encouraged by success in Hosui pear, corn, summer and winter squash, green bean, cosmos, zennia, marigold, and roses. So this year I would like to put more energy in fruit trees and nuts. I would also like to know if cherry is too challenging at my level.

Comments (6)

• tree_oracle
    10 years ago

I would suggest buying fruit and nut trees online. Stark Bros comes to mind but there are many others, too. If you buy online, you can choose the type of graft for your tree which is ultimately determines the growth rate and eventual size of it. Plus, you will have a large number of cultivars to choose from online that will greatly exceed the number you'll find at just about any local nursery.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Garden in the Woods in Natick sells American Persimmon, which are more likely to survive the weather here.

Many County Soil Conservation Office extensions have spring sales. The local ones sell Liberty Apples, which are supposed to be one of the hardiest apple varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden in the Woods

This post was edited by edlincoln on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:27

• easycity
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks " tree_oracle" for suggesting online nurseries. 3 years ago I tried several online nurseries. Only Spring Hill Nursery gave me good results. Trees from other nurseries died very soon, or does not grow well.
    On the other hand, all the trees I bought locally from Home Depot, Lowes, Mahoney, are very good.
    So I would like to try my best to buy from local nurseries.
    If I need to buy online, I may try Stark Bros.
    Thanks!

• easycity
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank "edlincoln" for suggesting "Garden in the Woods". I found American Hazelnut there. Somehow in 2014 they do not carry persimmon. I will go there and take a look anyway.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Just a couple of comments:
    You said, "Please keep in mind that I just started gardening, and still learning the basics. I have planted peach, cherry, plum, blueberry, hazelnut, none of them giving tasty fruits."
    If I understand, you are wondering why you don't have fruits yet from these plants? Any woody plant will take several years to get enough roots and be settled in enough with enough size to start producing fruits. The standard saying for perennials is the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. Trees and shrubs take even longer. Also, most of what you have listed will need to be protected in some way from critters who want to eat them once they start producing; birds will eat blueberries and cherries, and squirrels and chipmunks like hazelnuts.

You said, "I read that hazelnut trees are tough and general high-yielding. I bought several seedlings two years ago (2012 Spring), and they had been very hardy. But they looked like a bush forever."
    If you are talking about the American hazelnut, you will in my experience literally have to wait forever to have trees. We have native hazelnuts that have been growing where they are for at least 20 years, and they still look like bushes. By nature they are multistemmed and are 6 to 16 feet tall, not really trees in appearance. Also, though I see them with green nuts, I have never seen ripe nuts since the critters get them all. (We don't cover or protect them.)

In studies I have seen, smaller plants settle in more quickly and within a few years are growing as well as or even better than plants that were planted larger at the same time, so in the long run there won't be much advantage to planting larger fruit-bearing trees. Gardening isn't for the faint of heart, and trees and shrubs in particular take patience.

Your blueberries will start producing before the others you have currently planted. I think mine took three years to really produce much. If you want more fruit soon, strawberries and cane fruits will produce in their second year. Annual fruits and vegetables will produce in the year you plant them, so you can plant fruit like melons and harvest them the same year.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I am trying to help you be realistic in your expectations for your plants. One thing you can do while you are waiting is do some reading on care of your plants. Most fruit trees and bushes need periodic pruning to produce well, and familiarity with diseases of plums, peaches, cherries in particular, and also (though less a problem) for blueberries as well as disease prevention will help you maintain the health of your plants as they start producing.

• easycity
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank "nhbabs" so much for such detailed advises! That is exactly why I fell in love with gardening after buying my first house 5 years ago. Not only it made me enjoy the beauty of nature every day, it bring me together with many other similarly minded, equally happy people.

My wife has been taking care of bulb planting. Every year we have crocus blooming in the snow, followed by splash of tulips. Then the dahlias present beautiful flowers through the seasons till the first frost.
    My parents took charge of vegetables, and all the weeding and maintenance. We have corns, potatoes, chives, green beans, eggplant, zucchinis, and butternut squashes.
    I am in the section of fruit trees and annual flowers. After repeated failure on perennial flowers and other demanding annuals, I found reliable annuals such as cosmos, zinnias, marigold, balsam, and roses.
    My ancestors must have been farmers, since I feel relaxed in my backyard and vegetable gardens. The vista has a soothing effect on me. So I have the patience for all these trees and plants.

I am sure all your advises will be accurate in my case. I already know that blueberries will start to produce very soon. Two years ago, after 1 year of planting several blueberries trees bought at Home Depot, I have a dozen blueberries. Last year, I set up a net to keep the bird and squirrels away. But the blueberry tasted sour and bland. This year I may simply leave the blueberries to birds, and concentrate on sweet corns and sunflowers (for roasted seeds).