Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleredshed

Succulent Sources in MA/NH

littleredshed
10 years ago

Good Afternoon Fellow New Englanders!

We've been enjoying a bit of reprieve here from Mother Nature haven't we? I'll take it!

I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for good places to find succulents in the Northeast MA/Southern Seacoast area of NH? I've checked all my normal haunts and was wondering if anyone has seen a local nursery or greenhouse that has a good supply.

The few I've been to are:
Newton Greenhouses (Newton, NH) - very good selection
Lake Street (Salem, NH)
Churchill's (Exeter, NH)
Kane's Flower World (Danvers, MA)

If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas (I'd do mail order, but that's not the best choice this time of year!) where I can find more succulents to feed my obsession, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!
Littleredshed

Comments (6)

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Are you looking for hardy cacti and/or succulents for outdoors, or things to add to your indoor/potted collection? I know you said you'd rather not mail order at this time of year, so I'm thinking you're seeking non-hardy types, since they could be damaged in shipment by cold weather along the way. So if it's the non-hardy types you want, you sometimes find some decent and unexpected plants at the big stores, such as Home Depot and Lowe's, so may be worth a look at least. That's the only suggestion I can make since I'm not from your area. If you're looking for hardy types, there are two mail order that I have used and they are quite good. Intermountain Cactus in Utah has a great selection and very fair prices. The owner is knowledgeable and helpful. The other is High Country Gardens in New Mexico. They have several unusual African succulents, ice plants and others that are hardy in zone 6 or even colder.

Good luck!

{{gwi:5901}}

• tree_oracle
    10 years ago

I've done mail-order, too. I highly recommend Highland Succulents.

• littleredshed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill and tree_oracle! Yes, I'm looking for non-hardy succulents, sorry I should've been more specific.

So unfortunately, mail order is probably not a good choice at this time of year. I have checked my local HD and Lowes and while HD has some, they are all one variety. Lowes doesn't have any at this time.

So if anyone happens to spot a good selection anywhere (small local nurseries or big box stores), please let me know! I prefer to support small local nurseries, but if I can find a box store with a variety, I'd be willing to go that route as well.

Anyone been up to Rolling Green Nursey in Greenland, NH (? I think that's the location) recently? Any succulent sightings there?

Thanks again for your responses and assistance!
    Littleredshed

• muffin1358
    10 years ago

I just received an email that HD is having a tropical houseplant sale. Maybe they got a recent shipment?

• littleredshed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Muffin!
    Thank you, I got that email today too! I'll check it out this weekend! Let's hope that's the case! I'll report back if I find anything.
    Thanks again,
    Littleredshed

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

I often spot them at Mahoneys; there's a winter farmers' market at the Falmouth store, and I can't help wandering into the houseplant section. In season, I shop the smaller local nurseries, but Mahoney's is the only game in town in the winter. I'm sure they host the farmers' market in hopes of selling plants, and I'm happy to oblige. On the rare occasion that I find myself in the local Stop and Shop or Shaws, I also check out their succulents - have found some surprisingly interesting tiny plants at both of those stores.

I used to have a lot of houseplants, but because I travel and leave them to the care of my non-gardening DH, now it's all cacti and other succulents - plants that can survive without water for a month at a time.