Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just planted my Christmas tree

Posted by lschibley plymouth ma 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 17:16

So I'm interested in your expert opinion on this one. Was planting my Christmas tree today a foolish action or not? This is the third year we have had a live Christmas tree, but for the other two years, the ground had not frozen by the week after Christmas, and I had no problem getting it into the ground. This year, not only did the ground freeze in December, but we had 18 inches of snow on the ground!

Now the tree is a Serbian Spruce (Picea Omorika 'Bruns') so I figure it is pretty hardy and probably would have survived winter in a pot, but given that we are 40 today, supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow, and not supposed to get a very hard freeze for at least a week, I figured today was as good a day to plant it as any. The tree is in very well-draining soil but well-amended too. It has good protection from north and north-west winds, though it does get winter sun. It's about 5 feet high and it had a great looking root ball.

So what do you think....great idea to get it in the ground, or a tragedy waiting to happen? If you want to take a look..here is a picture, though I am not sure if there will be facebook permission issues.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs172.snc3/19942_1324997013059_1474916061_30864669_4577337_n.jpg

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just planted my Christmas tree

Lisa - Better in the ground than - where? When we bought our first live tree years ago we were told to dig the hole well ahead of time and store the soil where it wouldn't freeze. Is that what you did? I think that your tree will do fine. Better than if you had intended on keeping it in a garage or something. Make sure that you water it well now and again later if you get more thaws. Make sure that you treat it especially well in the spring and for the rest of the first year. Nice looking tree - your link worked.

Deb (and her non-expert opinion)

o

Lisa,
I'd use leaves or straw or such to mulch around the roots for sure (but not right up too close to the trunk). That will keep the soil from freezing as quickly and as deeply. It will give the roots a chance to take up moisture since drying out in winter is much more likely to kill evergreen plants than cold.
Good luck with it!
Bill

o

Yay, I am happy with getting it in the ground. It was well watered last night and today. Yup Deb, I had already dug the hole, and used bagged compost mixed in with our native sand to backfill. I'm glad you like my tree. It really is pretty.

Bill - there is a loose mix of mulch and pine needles that I put around the base. I'm hoping that will be enough.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here