Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #1

This thread is intended to give people a place to post photos and/or talk about birds, critters, wildlife, fish, whatever - topics you might not want to start a whole thread on, but are still garden-related. You can see the range of possible topics in the previous threads:

All of the threads in the "Birds and other mobile features in the garden" series prior to 2013 are now stored in the New England Garden Forum Gallery. See the top of the main page to switch between Discussions and Gallery. For 2012, see the links posted in Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2012 #7. These threads have been moved to the Gallery but there may be problems with some of the links. I've corrected those I can edit and I made an Index for threads from 2008 to 2011.

2013 threads:
INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013

2014 threads:
INDEX: Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2014
......................................................................................................................................
With winter upon us (and definitely upon some of the more northern areas) I repeat the mantra I said years ago, somewhere. "Far better to ponder interesting wildlife behavior in the garden than to spend the winter staring at dormant plants."
......................................................................................................................................

I've been keeping a few birdbaths filled on the bay side of the house, mostly because the turkeys like them, but yesterday I noticed a flock of robins there. The robins have finished off the winterberry and I suspect they are now feasting on the berries of the oriental bittersweet vines that are established on the coastal bank (no, I can't reach the vines to remove them). I suspect this because of the sudden appearance of red and yellow bird droppings by the birdbath... lots of red and yellow bird droppings.

Nine robins here and this wasn't a PFW count day.
{{gwi:2128601}}

{{gwi:2128602}}

{{gwi:2128603}}

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 13:43

Comments (81)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You have a lovely frosty tapestry on your window, Jane!

And every compost pile should have those blue accents on it, nhbabs.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Wow, beautiful frost. You sure do make the best of your opportunities!

Susan

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Susan - if you haven't found this English gal on Youtube, give her site a go. "fatdragon SX40 (and 50) turtorials" I think she's easy to listen to and she doesn't drag anything technical out. Wish she did Panasonic Lumix for nhbabs.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cold morning today and a grackle appeared at a birdbath. This isn't the heated birdbath, it's one of the baths I stomp the ice out of in the morning.
    {{gwi:2128621}}

Its feet look surprisingly delicate (surprising to me, anyway)
    {{gwi:2128622}}

There was a flicker at the bath this morning too but it left as soon as it saw the camera.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Well, you're right, Claire, the grackle legs and feet look very delicate compared to its longish, ample body. They have a wonderful iridescent sheen. I've only seen starlings so far, no grackles.

Mrs. Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker showed up a short while ago here. I always feel puritanical about shooting the bloomers area, but she does have very nice hearts above those yellow tail feathers. She and hubby are frequent suet guests.
    {{gwi:2128623}}

I have January syndrome. Anybody else? It's time for a trip to a greenhouse or NYBG. Time by the river recently - where I got crows in the middle of the river eating fish, not eagles - was wickedly cold. Ice cutters had come through to carve a path for the oil barges. This Red-tailed Hawk out back comes first thing in the morning to warm up and midday for sunning. Not great shots, but everybody needs to bask in whatever warmth is available - and this only Connecticut - not Minnesota or Alberta. I must be getting wimpier with age.
    {{gwi:2128624}}
    It is a Red-tail
    {{gwi:2128625}}

{{gwi:2128626}}
    Jane

• biblion
    9 years ago

Jane
    Is that photo you posted on the 10th the outflow from Case Mountain Park ponds?

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

biblion, yes, it is.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

It is definitely unusual to have so much exposed compost pile at this point of the winter! By this point most winters I am dumping compost at my feet since the top of the pile is at accumulated snow level, but this winter we only have 6 or 8" of snow. And we are scheduled to get rain today, tonight and tomorrow, so who knows what we'll have left by tomorrow night. DH has had to plow just 3 times since most of our major storms have been wet rather than snowy.

Yesterday the red maple outside the back door was busy with birds, so I had some practice trying to focus amidst the branches. While the tree isn't an ideal perch from my photographer's perspective, the large birds like its view over the fields, and the little ones like finding bugs in its craggy bark.
    Here's what I think is a common crow based on beak length from other photos. Usually I use voice to distinguish between these crows and ravens, but this one was stubbornly silent.
    {{gwi:2128627}}From January 16, 2015

This is the first white-breasted nuthatch I've managed to capture, though not the first I've tried. They move so quickly around the trunk and out of sight, but this one was gleaning from one of the larger branches on the house side of the tree.
    {{gwi:2128628}}From January 16, 2015

{{gwi:2128629}}From January 16, 2015

Original Author
    9 years ago

nhbabs: It's interesting that you are trying to differentiate between crows and ravens - we don't have ravens here, but we do have fish crows as well as American crows, which also are best differentiated by their voice. The crows in my yard are all American crows (I'm pretty sure) but there are fish crows on the beach and near my local supermarket. I think this was a fish crow that I saw on my beach and reported on the 2012 GBBC (the 2015 GBBC is February 13 to 16). The crow was protecting some morsel it was eating - I'm not sure but it may have stolen it from the gulls.
    {{gwi:2128630}}

{{gwi:2128631}}

I love watching white-breasted nuthatches zipping along up and down and sideways on the tree trunks. They also visit my suet feeders.

Every year a few red-winged blackbirds winter over here and regularly visit my feeders and birdbaths. They probably get to pick the prime nesting spots and are established when the main flocks return in the spring.
    There were six a few days ago:
    {{gwi:2128632}}

and at least four today (three shown here, two males and a female - and a squirrel and some house sparrows of course)"
    {{gwi:2128633}}

{{gwi:2128634}}

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Did not know about fish crows. Boat-tail, American, ravens, magpies, but not fish. So those that I saw in the middle of the CT River were likely fish crows?
    {{gwi:2128635}}

Neat pictures coming from new cameras! Very nice.

Temporary, but I have a POND! And it now has free peninsula dining!
    {{gwi:2128636}}
    {{gwi:2128637}}
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: I went through a period of emailing photos to PFW and asking "Is this a Fish Crow?" The answer was always "No, it's an American Crow". That's why I'm pretty sure my yard crows are American crows. Naturally, Cornell has a good Fish Crow ID page

I occasionally hear the uh-uh sound on the beach or at the marsh and near the local supermarket. A few years ago there was a loud ruckus in the woods across the street with furious cawing - a major crow crisis was happening, maybe an owl or a hawk or something else threatening a crow. I saw and heard crows flying from all directions toward the crisis with loud calls, and some of the calls were uh-uh while others were caws. I figured every crow in the neighborhood, American or fish, was responding to the distress call.

Now you have a Vernal pool! Are peepers and salamanders next?

Claire

Edit note: I forgot to say that your crows in the middle of the river were very likely fish crows.

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 16:34

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Thanks for the links, Claire. I'll have to go back down to the river for another look. The skull is noticeably larger on the Am. vs Fish - there is a distinct line across the 'forehead' area on the Am. that I didn't see on the Fish. It was noisy that day at the river - must have been 75 Am. crows complaining about something, but this mid-river dining group was separate.

This morning my 'pond' has shrunk and become a small rink for doves. I loved it when I had it - my one day stewardship of pond life.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: You could turn that area into a dry stream bed/pond so it could fill up during the rainy season. Didn't you mention that you already have a fountain you don't have water supply to? Might as well move it over there.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

hmmm...not a bad idea, Claire. I've lengthened that island garden by double since putting in the heritage birch, and have thought about adding to its width. The outside portable fountains that I have could also be powered by a solar panel. This desire/need for water, gardens and mobile things is very deep-seated. In the winter, I keep a desk fountain going to help soothe the ache to garden and I grow lettuce on an office shelf. So a larger outside-my-window island of birds and more mobile things would please me VERY much! A dry stream will be investigated! TY
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Great pictures everyone. Thanks Jane for the link. I will definitely check it out. I like that colorful photo of the FlickerâÂÂs underside.

HereâÂÂs another Flicker all fluffed up and trying to get warm in SaturdayâÂÂs freezing cold
    {{gwi:2128638}}

A European Starling in winter garb. I think they have an interesting look, almost like jewelry.
    {{gwi:2128639}}

This Downy always flies to the pole between the suet feeders. It is very smooth, so he unintentionally slides down like a fireman before flying to the suet. Very funny.
    {{gwi:2128640}}

Red squirrel sitting under the seed feeder, happily cleaning up anything the birds donâÂÂt
    {{gwi:2128641}}

Susan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice, Susan! I particularly like the puffed up flicker, so unlike its usual sleek appearance - and starlings are really beautiful in the winter when you look at them without the "trash bird" baggage.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Duck duck duck
    Duck
    Duck duck
    Goose

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Wonderful to start the day with a good laugh!

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Pixie - I'm clicking the LIKE button. Good one.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Very funny, pixie_lou! and to the right of the goose, were there
    goose goose goose goose goose goose goose goose
    goose goose goose goose goose goose goose goose?

Claire

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Glad people appreciated my humor. But only one goose. A bit surprising.

Full disclosure. This wasn't in my yard. This was in downtown Wellesley, right on Washington Street.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Wow! Susan your bird photos are incredible. Thanks for sharing. Love the island bed, corunum, pretty even in winter. Love reading what's going on at NHbabs since we're in the same gardening area.

We moved a viburnum that was beginning to block our view but replaced it with a halo dogwood which has spent two diseased summers in the same spot. It will be moved this year. Another reason for the move is the birds loved to perch in the viburnum and the dogwood is just a puny shrub. My husband cut a small pine tree and stuck it in the ground between our two thistle feeders. The birds appreciate it but we were treated to watching some bluebirds feed on some multiflora rose hips that had snagged in the tree. I didn't realize bluebirds liked those berries and my husband has been removing them from our property.

But I have ordered some berry producing shrubs. I have seen them eat the berries on the spreading cotoneaster but I think the brazen chipmunk got all the berries this year.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

After not seeing the turkeys since sometime in the fall, I spotted their tracks last week along the edge of the river bank, and they have been out and about during the mornings this week, so I had some good opportunities to practice my bird photography, especially the zoom with autofocus. The contrast between the birds and the sunny snow is challenging, but I was inspired by Claire's shots of her turkeys' gorgeous plumage.

The first day they were in the shade, so no color, but this was such a classic 'guard turkey' pose.
    {{gwi:2128642}}From Turkeys 1/21/15

The next day the birds were in the sun, so I worked at getting the right angle of sun on feathers to show the color with mixed results.
    {{gwi:2128643}}From Turkeys 1/21/15

{{gwi:2128644}}From Turkeys 1/21/15

{{gwi:2128645}}From Turkeys 1/21/15

{{gwi:2128646}}From Turkeys 1/21/15

Considering that in most of the photos at least one of the turkeys seemed to be looking at me, I think that they must have spotted me in the garage, something like 250 feet away. When they are closer they run away if I make any noise or show my face, but they seemed more relaxed at this distance.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

nhbabs, great turkeys! Glad for you that the pictures are more to your satisfaction. I know the frustration too well. I just watched a film about East Germany and that last turkey picture looks like your turkey escaped over the border. good for both of you! lol

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

The Red-tailed hawk comes almost daily to sun himself way out back high in a maple. It's because of these larger birds and the loss of many tall trees via storms, that I have been letting more saplings grow for the past decade. It's interesting now see tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), wild dogwood, sugar maples and native shrubs fill in an area that was once solid maple with little undergrowth because the trees were so dense. It's time to put the forest back.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm always delighted to see pictures of turkeys, nhbabs, and it's particularly nice to see them in a setting closer to the real world. The corn stubble and snow is the perfect backdrop for wild turkeys.

My turkeys are closer and friendlier but sometimes seem like semi-domesticated birds (or have they domesticated me?)

I agree, Jane, that "It's time to put the forest back." In fact, if you turn your back the forest will come back by itself. The tricky part is leaving space for the more cultivated garden plants when all those saplings grow up.

I like the red-tail surrounded by all those buds, a reminder that spring will come, really.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Sometimes, a certain shot just strikes my funny bone. The finch really did look like that at the junco.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It must have been a wild party back at the house.....

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

On the deck, I covered chairs with a tarp for the winter which made a sheltered area for somebody. Last year it was an opossum, and it looks like the same tenant has returned. Had to darken the picture to highlight the tracks. The tail mark is pretty clear. On the south side of the house I saw what I think is coyote or fox in addition to multiple deer. Hoping not to see the fisher cat.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

Your possum is very sensible living on your deck although I would advise it to hide the tracks to the lair, particularly with coyotes and foxes in the neighborhood.

I'm seeing red-winged blackbirds every day but mostly males. Today two females appeared on the ground feeding area. The seed is piling up since most of the turkeys have been missing for a while. They'll vacuum up the remainder when they come back.

{{gwi:2128647}}

I'm heading out to buy more birdseed, getting ready for the big storm starting tomorrow night (blizzard watch, potential for historic storm, blech....)

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

I thought the female RWBs didn't show up until late winter. Apparently not.

I could just spit! ! ! Spotted a robin on the chokeberry, ran for a camera, he flew off and then I saw it: A totally naked crabapple tree. Then I checked the ornamental pear - equally naked. They were here and I missed everything. ...sigh... Maybe next year. They must have come when I was snow blowing (again) the driveway. It's all timing,.. the whole thing.

Speaking of timing (below) - and there are no crashes. Amazing.
    Jane (sans Cedar Waxwing photos) Oy

Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of the female red-wings wait until late February or early March when the big flocks migrate, but I checked my photo files and most winters I've seen at least one female in late January or early February. I don't know if there's a smaller migration of impatient blackbirds or if they've been wintering over.

I remember this female I saw on February 7, 2013 because the male was bouncing around delighted to see her. He bounced over to the birdbath then bounced back to feed with her. The blue jay looks like it wondered what she was doing here so early.
    {{gwi:2128648}}

Timing and luck are important when trying to photograph birds, and when trying to land on a feeder (not that I've ever tried to land on a feeder). Nice pic of the flight paths.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Defrost49, thank you! I credit modern technology for any success. I have bluebirds year round, but I didnâÂÂt know they ate multiflora rose hips. WeâÂÂre always trying to get rid of them (the rose bushes, of courseâ¦not the bluebirds).

Nhbabs, itâÂÂs been a few weeks since turkeys passed through here, so itâÂÂs good to see your nice pics.

Jane, just love your last red tail hawk photo. We have them around here, but I never seem to get a good photo op. Ha ha on the finch (very red one) and junco. Love the Downy and Titmouse on the move. We see opossum on the trailcam, but have no idea where they reside. I havenâÂÂt seen a cedar waxwing this year at all, to my dismay. I think they converged on us last year due to the abundant apple crop, which included crabapples.

Pixie_lou, like everyone else, got a kick out of the ducks/goose!

Claire, I canâÂÂt remember the last time I saw a red-winged blackbird. But then again, I probably wouldnâÂÂt easily recognize the female. Thanks for your great pics.

Some recent shots from my yard:

Tractor Rides Today
    {{gwi:2128649}}
    Territorial dispute
    {{gwi:2128650}}
    Is it spring yet?
    {{gwi:2128651}}
    I am watching you.
    {{gwi:2128652}}

Susan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Delightful photos, Susan! The tractor ride looks as if they were posing for you.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Well done, Susan. The suet tractor has wonderful compass points. Sure to end up on GW's FB page again.

It has already begun snowing and I've spent some of this morning relearning how to start the generator I've never started and how to switch switches in the new circuit breaker box. No kidding, when the cat goes to heaven, I go South for Dec-Feb. Instead of shooting flickers leaving suet, I hope to shoot cranes and spoonbills. It's age. Remember when we wanted snow?
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Jane, fantastic flicker picture! Much more worthy of GW FB page.

Susan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane posts a lovely, dramatic picture of a flicker flying away from suet and all I see is a flicker poking around in the seed on the ground with a cardinal nearby. The flicker's been there for two days in a row - I wonder if there are bugs in there to eat.

In my continuing quest to lower the bar for photos on this thread, I'll post these anyway.

{{gwi:2128653}}

{{gwi:2128654}}

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Oh, Thank God! I thought you'd never lower that darn bar! It's been tough!

Yes, if the ground has been soft enough to penetrate, I'd say Mr. Flicker has found somebody...some protein hiding in there. Here, it's been frozen for quite a while, so he has to rely on the suet and no longer 'combs' the lawn and gardens. Now that the bar has been lowered, you can see his downy part.
    Jane (so hoping the power stays on for everybody)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: Your flicker is wearing a wool fanny pack?

I'm glad you have a generator - we'll probably have one for the next storm, or maybe the one after that, but the order was put in too late for this storm.

Power outages are my biggest fear - that and trees falling in the wrong place.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

I just glanced out the window and I noticed a brown bird in the heated birdbath next to a white-throat. It looked too big to be a house sparrow so I pulled out the binoculars. I saw the spotted breast and it was a Hermit Thrush!

I grabbed the camera and tried to get a pic as it was bathing. The thrush was submerged for the first two pics and then came up for air and stopped to look around. I was about to try for a video when it flew away. It may have seen me watching.

Submerged:
    {{gwi:2128655}}

It came up but then submerged again:
    {{gwi:2128656}}

and up for air! You'll have to take my word for the spotted breast but you can see the reddish tail and the eyering
    {{gwi:2128657}}

I only see hermit thrushes in the winter at the birdbaths. This is the first time I've seen one bathing (the air temperature is upper twenties maybe thirty. This is the first of my PFW count days.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Oh, good for you! - and, good for the thrush. One showed up here on Saturday, my first count day. I, too, only see them in winter. He/she goes to the water, but on Saturday he tried the suet and seeds while chatting with a junco.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Jane, you're killing me with these great flicker shots! I see one most every day, digging for something in the ground in front of a pine tree. But I never capture the beautiful yellows (except maybe a tiny bit on the back).

Claire, nice hermit thrush! I probably wouldn't recognize one until I found it through research (or asked you all about it).

I'm with you both on dreaded power outages. We have an okay generator, but only turn it on for important stuff such as keeping the food safe or taking a quick shower. Run a wood stove for heat, gas for cooking, but that only goes so far. Gets old in a hurry!

Susan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

So interesting that you "southerners" only see hermit thrushes in the winter, while I only see (and mostly hear) them in the summer.

And what an astounding contrast between the brightness of the flicker in flight and the ground feeding flicker. The under-wings are so bright!

And Susan's bluebirds continue to look stunning!

The last few days I've spotted goldfinches and a cardinal, but they left before I had time to grab the camera.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

In the West, they have Red-shafted Flickers - also very striking. I'm lucky they fly in front of my camera.

Okay. I'm self-certifying my bird nerdness. Went out in the blizzard to feed them. There were dozens of birds here this morning for breakfast that polished everything off. How could I not? The snow was only up to my knees, so it was pretty easy. It'll be hip-high after I rake the roof. :(
    {{gwi:2128658}}

{{gwi:2128659}}

{{gwi:2128660}}
    Claire may been have clobbered worse than the Mourning Doves. CNN was in Plymouth doing the drama thing at Plymouth Harbour.
    Jane

Original Author
    9 years ago

The blizzard is still in progress but maybe maybe beginning to wind down. I've been out shoveling for the birds at least three times this morning.

This is what it looked like after I'd gotten a spot cleared and spread some seed.
    {{gwi:2128661}}

The hermit thrush has been back to the heated birdbath at least twice so far. I already adjusted the brightness - this is reality in a blizzard.

First it faced downwind:
    {{gwi:2128662}}

Then it turned to face the wind,
    {{gwi:2128663}}

and pulled itself together.
    {{gwi:2128664}}

Claire

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

WTG, Claire! Good bird mother. That's a happy thrush. Glad your power stayed on. What a relief.

I can't answer nhbabs's curiosity about why we Southerners only see Hermit Thrushes in the winter, but after checking my 'Thrushes' folder, yup, all the pictures are in winter. They must summer in NH and winter in the flatlands, I guess.

Today is the first time I was able to capture a RB Woodpecker twice in flight after leaving the suet cage. Downloaded a free copy of GIMP, (a free rendition of Photoshop) and tried to superimpose the two pictures. I need practice, but here it is:
    Jane

This post was edited by corunum on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 16:29

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice technique - I couldn't help but think of this old ad.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Jane, love your red-bellied pair! Susan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Susan's photo of the goldfinches squabbling over the feeder showed up on GW FB today.

I like that double-take of the woodpecker in flight, Jane.

Just looking at the thrush huddled on the edge of the bird bath makes me cold!

Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread's getting long - I'll post #2 shortly.

Claire