Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
absusu

starting rosemary inside

absusu
17 years ago

I have some rosemary seeds and reading the instructions, I noticed the seed company recommends stratifying the seeds. I know that means putting them in a cool place for a period of time.

Has anyone started rosemary? Got any tips?

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (4)

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Linda: Patience and an expectation of only about 10% germination. Rosemary is hard to start from seed, which is why cuttings is the propagation method of choice for most growers and herbies.

Since you have the seeds already, here's a few hints:

- Stratify in the freezer for at least two weeks. To stratify, wrap the seeds in an airtight container (zip loc bags work well). When you take them out, leave them in the wrap until they are completely room temperature. Give them an extra day after that before you unwrap.

- Keep the seeds WARM and in a dark place when they are sown. Use the lightest and most free draining planting medium you can find. For any success I've found that that a grow mat is needed for at least 16 hours/day. Since it takes several weeks to germinate, be sure you have them in a place where they won't get knocked around. A rarely used closet works. This is a little different than other herb seeds that require mid-range temps to germinate. Rosemary needs it to be warm.

- If you get germination (a lot of pros don't so don't be discouraged) move the babies into moderate light and subsequently put under grow lights when sprouts are about 1/2 inch tall. Warmth, warmth, warmth, but not a lot of humidity.

So, after all that, don't get depressed :-) A crowning moment in my gardening life was sprouting a Rosemary from seed.

Martie

• khamblett
    17 years ago

Any hints Martie on getting them to root from cuttings?
    Thanks!
    ~Kristin

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Kristin: Cuttings are much easier :-)

Use non-woody rosemary new growth that is about 3" long. Take off all foliage except the top 1". Dip the non-foliage end into willow water** or powdered rooting hormone. Stick into a mix of perlite for free root growth and a bit of peat for acid and moisture retention. Keep the cuttings damp but not wet and Never let be in standing water. Again, warmth is key so a grow mat really helps success.

It'll take some time for roots to start but once they do, you're good to go. Transplant when the babies are about 3" tall into no more than a 2" pot and then pot up as usual. Herb roots like to be tight in pots.

This method works for other herb cuttings as well, including most Lavandula, Salvia, Germander, Santolina, Pelargonium.

**Willow Water: Find a huge willow tree with new growth. Cut the new growth from the tips about 1' long. Get a good armful, it won't hurt the tree. In a very large pot with tight fitting lid bring cuts just covered with water to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer approximately 1 hour. The smell isn't pleasant, so light a good aroma candle, first.

The root producing hormones in willow are stronger than most powders on the market. Remember that willow root strangles things and you get the idea of how potent this is. Willow water can be saved in a tight jug for about 2 months before it loses potency. If you dilute it about 5:1 water to willow, you can bottom watter cuttings with it but be careful not to overdo.

Martie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

A couple of years ago, I found some rosemary seeds that were labelled 'high germination'. I think they were from Renee's Garden, but may be wrong. Whatever, they were, they did, and I ended up with about 50 rosemary seedlings to get rid of.

Something to remember about rosemary cuttings is that it's not native to a climate like this, and has some rather peculiar ideas about when to do what. For example, mine is currently in full bloom. It usually starts around Christmas, and goes through January. After blooming, it will start to grow, so will have a lot of very light-starved growth unless February is warm enough for it to stay outside. That's the stuff that should be rooted, but it isn't very healthy.

While everything else came in months ago, the rosemary is still outside. It looks like it will have to come in next week. Hopefully, I will remember this.