Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Did I hear.... peepers?!

Or am I crazy?

I swore tonight on the way home I heard peepers. At first I thought, ooh, peepers, and thought of our usual yearly post. My next, immediate thought was, it's January! It's almost 60 degrees, but it is January. But it was in a spot I always hear them... when I'm *supposed* to hear them.

Of course, with the temps plunging back down tomorrow I probably won't be able to hear them again, but just curious... did anyone else happen to hear any peepers this evening?

Dee

Comments (36)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Oh, my, I hope that they tuck themselves back down deep in the mud before it chills too much!

Although the air is warm here (54 when I woke up) the ground is still too cold after last week's subzero weather to have fooled anything into expecting spring.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

Maybe peepers get cabin fever too? It's way too early, little frogs, go back to bed!

Claire (wondering whether to add this report to the FAQ)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, maybe I was just hearing things. But it was the kind of thing where I'm so used to hearing them in that spot every evening when it's warmer, that it didn't really register that it was weird to hear them till I had passed the spot. Otherwise, I would have slowed down and opened the window. I considered driving around the block and driving by again, lol, but I will admit I was too tired and lazy and just wanted to get home from work since it was almost 9PM. Of course, today I'm wishing I had taken the whole five minutes and driven around the block!

Dee

11 years ago

OK, you convinced me. I just added it to the First spring peeper reports in New England FAQ.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claire, I was going to say to put an asterisk or something next to the entry, lol - just in case I was hearing things, but I see you already noted that in the entry!

Thanks!
    ;)
    Dee

11 years ago

As reported in the UMass Landscape Message of March 29, 2013.

"Submitted by Michael Bliss on Fri, 03/29/2013 - 15:06
    Spring peepers first heard the night of March 28 in Lexington."

I just added this report to the FAQ.

Claire

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

I'm in Centerville,Ma and I heard peepers on March 29!! :D
    My husband heard them on March 27, also in Centerville, but not near our house.
    Such a welcome sign of spring!

Teresa

11 years ago

Teresa: reports added to the FAQ.

Centerville! That's near me, but south - I'll go listen tonight.

Claire

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

Thanks, Claire!
    Yep they're definately here, much louder tonight. I was so afraid I was 'hearing things' last night.

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL Theresa - imagine how I felt when I thought I heard them back in January! Talk about worrying whether I was hearing things!

I actually listened for them specifically the other night driving home, but didn't hear. Soon, I think, especially if the days are more like today.

Dee

• richdelmo
    11 years ago

Peepers Easter night in South Weymouth.

• richdelmo
    11 years ago

Peepers Easter night in South Weymouth.

11 years ago

South Weymouth added to FAQ. That's north of me! I forgot to check last night.

Claire

11 years ago

Full chorus late this afternoon in Plymouth (Ellisville), MA after a very warm day. I'm kicking myself for not checking last night.

Cold front coming through and below normal temperatures forecast for this week, so the peepers may quiet down for a while.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, l heard them tonight in Shelton, this time definitely for real, lol! I meant to listen last night on the way home from the in-laws, but forgot. But tonight I made a point to slow down and open the windows to check, and sure enough, there they were, peeping away!

Funny thing is, today I was at lunch with my co-workers, and one of them asked if any of us had heard peepers yet. So I mentioned (against my better judgment) that I thought I had heard them in January and that I must have been crazy, but one co-worker turned to me and said that he had thought he heard them back in January too! So maybe I wasn't so crazy after all....

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

DH and I both heard them on Friday evening 4/5 in Canterbury, NH, but it's been so chilly since then that we haven't heard them again.

11 years ago

Added to FAQ, nhbabs.

Claire

• molie
    11 years ago

Oh, how I miss the sound of peepers! I used to live in a community in southern CT where there were many rivers and wetlands. I recall driving to my house and that there was a certain dip in the road where the land on each side was very swampy. I would all open the car windows⦠mosquitoes be damned!⦠to hear them announce the change in seasons as I drove down the road. I'm sure if I returned to that very spot, they'd be peeping tonight (it's very warm). Sadly, there are none here along the tidal river where I now live.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

They are really out in full force right now. I always slow down as I pass by the wetlands along our road; it means spring really is here.

11 years ago

My compost pile is across the street and I can hear peepers there. There's an old cranberry bog/ now swan pond down the hill. It did feel like spring today.

Claire

edit note: Has anyone heard wood frogs this year? Usually they sing a little before the peepers.

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 18:30

• defrost49
    11 years ago

I happened to check last night but nothing. nhbabs, if you hear them, I should. We have a marshy area between our house and the road so it's very musical when they start peeping.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Claire - No wood frogs yet. Last year they showed up in our pond on March 19. This year the pond is still frozen.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Dee, maybe it was that weird night we had in January that was 60 degrees?

The peepers were out in full force last night in Concord. I'm not sure if there were any peeping before that, because the wetland is a couple blocks away, and I only hear them when there is a whole chorus.

I love the peepers! But doesn't it seem like Spring is late this year? Usually they are peeping away by the end of March around here.

11 years ago

terrene's report added to FAQ.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

I stepped out onto the back porch and was serenaded by the full chorus, up the hill at the frog pond, singing their little hearts out! It's the first time I've heard them this year. Technically I guess it was last night (April 9th) that I heard them. As I write this, it's 2:25 AM April 10th. (Danby, Vermont)

11 years ago

spedigrees report added to FAQ.

Claire

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I did hear a few wood frogs the same evening that I heard so many peepers (Monday) though they started later than the peepers.

11 years ago

I added the wood frogs reported by nhbabs.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I almost ran over some kind of frog hopping across the road on the way home. Does that count?

;)
    Dee

• webe
    11 years ago

Been hearing them since right before Easter in North Central CT - LOVE IT!

11 years ago

webe: I added your report to the FAQ. If you want to make it more detailed (re date, zone) I can easily change it.

Claire

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Wood frogs showed up yesterday (4/17) the same day the pond was fully ice-free. The peepers shouldn't be far behind.

11 years ago

squirejohn's wood frogs added to FAQ.

Claire

• defrost49
    11 years ago

It's funny, I didn't remember hearing the peepers during the day. My husband tried to see some in the wet areas by the driveway. No luck. I have the bedroom window open so I can listen to them as I fall asleep.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

I heard two peepers last night in central Vermont. It's been quite cool here with overnight temperatures in the 20's. Once the weather warms up I expect to hear many.

11 years ago

squirejohn's peepers added to FAQ.

Claire