Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back a mature Yew in January?

Posted by sooey 7MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 22:51

Hi Kids,

What will happen if I cut back an over grown Yew in the middle of January? Will it be lost or will it grow back? I have cut back lots of them with good success, but never in the middle of January.

The Yew in question has become a safety hazard on our street, interfering with line of sight, etc.

Thanks, Kids.

Sooey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back a mature Yew in January?

It will be fine. Yews put out new growth from anywhere on a branch. They can take a hard pruning. It doesn't matter that it's cold outside.

o

Thank you, tree_oracle. I will set to work as soon as My husband returns with the truck.

Sue

o

Hi Sooey, I assume you mean Taxus cuspidata, Japanese Yew? Anyway, I've got 3 growing in a tree form - the 2 largest in particular have needed regular pruning. Last time I pruned them was a couple years ago after a snow storm in either January or February. This was because the branches were laden with snow, so they were weighed down and easier to reach and prune (that was interesting, and snowy, and I still had a hard time reaching the upper branches even with an 8 foot step ladder).

Anyway, I usually prune those in the winter, with no apparent ill effects. They are very hardy and rugged plants but grow very slowly.

o

Sooey, I have had the same experience. They should be fine. Almost impossible to kill. You'd have to chop them down to the largest limbs, and even then they will often sprout again. So a little pruning or trimming will be fine, especially if you're only removing parts that are in the way and leaving other parts more-or-less untouched.

o

Hi Kids,

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

I am almost sure that the yews in question are Japanese yews. They are very old, in fact they are transplants form our lot, having been planted first as our original foundation plantings back in 1976. They were moved to their current location in 1984. I was all set to cut them back on Friday but DPW asked me to hold off until after the snow season. It seems that the snow plow drivers use them as visual markers as they plow. I'm glad I called first.

Thanks, Kids.

sooey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here