Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peat moss

Posted by flowerfloosey z8 NCal mnts (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 17, 09 at 23:10

I have been discouraged from using peat moss to mulch with because it doesn't let water saturate it. I garden in zone 7 where we get no rain from May thru Aug. I use compost but see lots of people buying peat moss. What do people use that much of it for?? Is it for acidifying the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peat moss

I used to use peat moss a great deal. I stopped when I read that harvesting of it was affecting some countries ecosystems. I read in this article that some countries do not have this problem.

Peat does seemto resist wetting. Once it starts to break down, I find it does much better.

"When it's dry, the chemestry of peat moss makes the tips of its fibers repel the water so that it can't reach into the spaces between them. But, if you get it just a little damp (either by mechanically forcing a little water into it by mixing or by placing it in an area of high humidity where individual water molecules as vapor can infiltrate their way into it) then there are some water molecules embedded in the fibers of the peat moss and their polar nature attracts other water molecules, overpowering the peat's chemical force of repulsion. It's sort of like priming a pump: adding a little water enables it to pump a lot more water.

One way potting soil companies overcome the problem of dry peat moss's repulsion of water is by adding a wetting agent to their mixes. Wetting agents, or surfactants, are molecules with one end that is attracted to water and the other that's attracted to nonpolar molecules like those in peat moss. They act like glue that holds two surfaces together that would otherwise repel each other. The wetting agent only needs to attract and hold a little water in the peat moss. After that, the process of hydrating the peat carries on by itself as explained in the previous paragraph."

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/peatmoss.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use sphagnum peat moss

o
RE: peat moss

Yeah, peat would be a terrible mulch - really counterproductive.

People used to mix it into the soil when planting or digging a bed, to lighten the soil, i.e. make it more porous, and add organic material. It turns out, as I recall, that it breaks down too quickly to have much of a lasting effect; the quick break-down also uses a lot of the available nitrogen in the soil. So, better alternatives have been found; compost and manure both provide their own nitrogen, while other materials that break down more slowly, like rotted bark, don't cause nitrogen depletion.

Like EvonneST, though, I stopped using it mainly because of environmental concerns. I'm interested (though a little skeptical) to hear that in some cases there's no problem harvesting the stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here