Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

flowers . . . in Feb in zone 5a!

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
12 years ago

I've had flowers on my vernal witch hazel (Hamamelis vernalis) for a couple of weeks now, almost a month early. They curl up when it's cold and expand when it's warmer. What's a total surprise is that some of the reticulated irises along my foundation are also up and blooming, more than a month early. Although I miss the snow, I really can't complain about gaining 3 months of gardening this winter!

Comments (12)

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

It's a nice change from the "standard" New England winter for sure! My crocuses have been blooming for almost two weeks, and that's early. I have three Camellia blossoms opened, and the winter Jasmine has been in bloom constantly since December, and pretty much covered in flowers, not the usual few here and there. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come in the future? My only problem would be deciding where to plant the palm trees!

{{gwi:5901}}

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Actually, I'm a little stymied. Here we are with one of the mildest winters I can remember recently, and many of my early bloomers are later than usual. I've had crocuses in the first week of February in the past, and they just bloomed about five days ago. My snowdrops were weeks late - some haven't even bloomed yet - and my early small daffs are behind too. Can't figure it out.

My hellebore was late too, and then when it finally jussssst bloomed last week it got hit by the snow last Friday. Funny, seems all the snow melted except a little drift covering my hellebore, lol.

Anyone got any pics? Would be nice to see some spring flowers now!

Dee

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Of course we have pictures.

Winter aconite

Snowdrops

And the plant of the month that everybody seems to be talking about, Helleborus niger

{{gwi:231957}}

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Dee, there are load of photos on the Show Us Your Landscape thread for February. It's mis-titled 2011, but it's this year and month (at least until midnight tonight!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Us Your Landscape Feb 2012

• Richard Dollard
    12 years ago

I've got a few crocus coming up myself.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

mad gallica - wow - you have a lot in bloom! gorgeous!

diggingthedirt - thank you for pointing out my labeling error. I just posted the March thread - and I made sure to label it 2012. That's what happens when you cut and paste too much!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

But you should see it now. Everything is under about two inches of snow, and more is coming down. Winter is (kind of) here at last.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Yuch, snow today. But it's March 1st, so the snow can't last long.

I'm very worried about crocuses I planted last Fall. I don't see them, though a few older crocuses (C. vernus) are blooming by the foundation. Daffodils are starting to show and even a few hyacinths. I know squirrels were digging in the garden last year so I hope they didn't eat all the crocus bulbs --or bury them in my neighbor's yard. Maybe because it's their first Spring in my garden, they'll come up a bit later? They're Crocus chrysanthus (mostly) so I hope to see some sign of them soon. %*$@^$ squirrels!

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Leslie,
    In my experience, bulbs planted the previous fall do seem to take longer to show up. The ones that have been in the ground for at least one whole cycle do come up sooner.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Ditto the %*$@^$ squirrels comment. The chipmunks have come out of hibernation and are wreaking havoc tunneling in my flowerbeds too. I've got a trio of small hellebore blooms on 'Cinnamon Snow' but haven't snapped any new pictures because they've looked the same for weeks. The inch of snow that fell yesterday/last night is covering the snowdrops but the daffodil foliage is nice and green against the white.

I threw some rock salt on the driveway so the snow is beginning to melt. Tomorrow's rain should take care of what's on the lawn & flowerbeds.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bill.

I think I may have noticed one set of crocus leaves coming up in that bed, so I'm hopeful. I took advantage of a sale at Scheepers and planted around 350 bulbs. The squirrels were right behind me digging them up. I can't believe they could have gotten ALL the bulbs, though... (If they did, I'm going to start looking for squirrel recipes.)

Hi gardenweed,

Yep, we've got a bumper crop of chipmunks too. Never saw as many as I did last year. They sit under the bird feeder and munch on what the birds drop.

And one of my Helleborus 'Ivory Prince' has had buds all Winter, but they never really opened. One flower seems to be trying to bloom now. Maybe tomorrow when the warmth comes back.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Leslie,

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

Enjoy! :-)