Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Help from CT rose growers

greenhavenrdgarden
12 years ago

Can anyone that grows clImbing roses in CT recommend a climbing rose for me? I know I should ask in the rose forum but from the threads I have read I believe that they would say I need to ask locals. I am in Trumbull (Fairfirld County). The roses would be for a tall trellis and for a porch post- both in front of my house so I would hope something with clean looking foliage and a rebloomer preferred. I have not done as much research about roses bc the deer make them impossible to have. These 2 spots are the only protected area on my property. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Below is a link to a garden blog. The article is an interview with Dan Long the owner of Brushwood Nurseries. It's mostly about Clematis, but towards the end he talks about Climbing Roses that do well in northern zones. Here's the quote:

A. Folks in Zone 4 should really stick with the Explorers for best results. There⨠are plenty of beautiful climbing roses for Zone 5. Eden is a great⨠choice, as well as Joseph's Coat. Many of Bill Radler's new climbers â¨like Morning Magic, CanCan and Winner's Circle are fine for the cold.⨠Winner's Circle has been likened to a climbing Knockout. Westerland [below] is⨠a solid choice, too. That orange bloom would look great with a big purple clematis woven through it.

You can buy the plants from Brushwood also. It's a good place to buy vines on line.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines Q & A with Dan Long

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

How big are the structures? A good climbing rose will get BIIIIG. New Dawn can have 20 ft canes. If you don't have the structure to support something that size, then you aren't really looking at a climber. What most people are really looking for to put on a normal size trellis is more of a floppy shrub that doesn't put out a lot of new canes.

I can see Lafter on a pillar.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. I didn't realize the differences in a true climber or a shrub rose so that is something I will have to look into. I did look at New Dawn and I know that it is way too big for this spot. There are 2 trellises 10ft tall and 3ft wide. I would have the same rose on each trellis. I also have 2 posts that run about that high. I was thinking one rose on each post but the same variety there-One variety for the trellises and 1 for the posts.
    I am familiar with Dan at Brushwoods, I have an order of 36 clematis coming from him this spring. I was looking at his roses but the more I researched, the more confused I got. Thank you for suggesting him. I will look into it further. Bc of deer, this is the only spot I can have roses so I am trying to pick wisely. Thanks again. Laura

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Ten feet is a pretty decent height.

{{gwi:261647}}

This is Captain Samuel Holland, one of the Explorer climbers. The picture was taken from the steps of my back deck, which is why he looks so small. There is a six foot pillar buried in there somewhere, and the whole rose is probably about ten feet from ground to top. It is definitely much higher than I can reach. The bed it is in is four feet wide, and the rose is considerably wider than that. The real issue is going to be width, and that is going to depend on the size of the area. This rose is trained so people walk *under* it.

The growth habit is fairly typical of a small, repeat blooming climber. I'm rather hesitant to get into specific recommendations since you have a lot more options than I do.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Do you have a preference for color? Single or double? I have climbing "Altissimo" which I first saw in Portland, OR. It's a single, intense red velvety color with a large golden yellow central boss. Flowers can be 5-7 inches across, so it makes a nice show. Foliage is deep green and growth is strong, but not overwhelming. Another favorite, which I don't currently have, is climbing "Iceberg", and old standby white.

{{gwi:5901}}

• dani33
    9 years ago

Hi, I am looking for a pink climbing rose for a pergola that will be 8ft tall. I'd like a rose that can climb the 8ft and grow over atleast another 8ft. It'd be great if it grew down the other side...6-8ft. So, I have 16-24 ft. I want a repeat bloomer that isn't too thorny. Any suggestions?

• momtoollie
    9 years ago

Look into climbing pinkie. Polyantha, thornless, repeat bloomer. You can order from Antique Rose Emporium.