Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaketaylore

vines

blaketaylore
14 years ago

Hello All

I decided that this is the year that I will tackle learning about vines. I have both sunny and shaded areas.

Mostly I would like to grow vines along the border of the front of my property for privacy. It's not very sunny there but it does get some sun.

Also I am looking for flowering vines that will climb trees and trellises.

If the vine smell nice and flower pretty that is a bonus

If any one can suggest fast growers for coastal maine I will appreciate the leads

Blake

Comments (7)

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sweet autumn clematis.
    Certain summer-blooming clematis - do your homework.
    Certain climbing roses.
    Honeysuckle.
    Bittersweet. Yes, I know it's invasive, but we inherited it along the street boundary and it gives us privacy and feeds the birds with its berries.

Carol

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

In addition to what Carol mentioned, these too:

Wisteria
    Climbing Hydrangea
    Silver Lace vine
    Trumpet vine
    Dutchman's Pipe

These should do OK as long as there's some sun part of the day. The more the better but you can check out the requirements online.

Bill

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

If you live in an area with any wild areas, you might want to plant the native bittersweet instead of oriental bittersweet (which is seeded by birds into wild areas.) Likewise, there are other clematis that don't have the seeding invasive tendancies that sweet autumn clematis has. Japanese honeysuckle are also invasive and should be avoided, but Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) is not a problem and has flowers in the red/yellow/orange range that hummingbirds like. (As someone who fights oriental bittersweet and Japanese honeysuckle among other invasives in our wooded areas, I can tell you that I would have appreciated them not being planted 50 or so years ago . . . )

Asian wisterias and trumpet vine are stunning to look at, but can be real bears to control - hard on buildings and liable to pop up a ways from where planted. There are a couple of kinds of native wisteria that are much more manageable, though still large vines in need of large, strong supports.

I really like clematis and grow quite a few. There are some that will grow well in part shade, and most will do quite well in sun. They do need sufficient water. A good resource for clematis is the clematis forum here on GardenWeb and Clematis on the Web, a British website with info on just about every clematis I've ever tried to look up. You can get clematis that will bloom at just about any point in the season and most will bloom for several weeks to months. They also vary in size so choose one to fit the space you have to fill and the support you want to grow it on. I have clematis growing through shrubs and small trees as well as on trellises.

Climbing hydrangeas are slow to establish, but grow well in part shade and are large structural vines. Some come with interesting leaves as well as the flowers so they can be of interest for most of the year.

If your part of ME is warm enough, you may find some traditional climbing roses that are hardy enough, but there are a couple of the Explorer roses developed in Canada that are climbers hardy enough for just about anywhere. Japanese beetles and some foliage diseases can be a problem with roses, but you can read about remedies on one of the rose forums here on GW.

Also think about annual vines. I've grown sweet peas; the perennial ones seeded around too much, but the annual ones are lovely. I love the red-flowered runner beans which are edible, but also attract hummingbirds. I've also grown black-eyed susan vine (Thunbergia) (great in pots) and morning glories (which didn't seed around for me, but can be a problem in warmer climates.) Cardinal vine is lovely, but the growing season wasn't long enough here. On the coast you might have more success. Annual vines will grow quickly and fill in until perennial ones have put on size.

I know I've given you a bunch of negatives for many of the vines, but I figure it's better you find out drawbacks before you plant and decide if they are things you want to deal with.

At your local library you may find or be able to request books on vines as well as looking at reputable nursery websites to get additional information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Don't know if you're considering climbing roses as you experiment with vines,
    but there are some really tough ones out there, including several that I grow
    in varying amounts of shade.

My most recommended online source for vines of all kinds is listed below.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

On the subject of bittersweet, years ago, I remember reading somewhere that it is extremely difficult to tell the difference between oriental and american bittersweet, and that most of the plants in commerce are really hybrids. I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with either, and would appreciate any comments on this.

• terrene
    14 years ago

Mad-gallica, yes they are very similar in appearance. The native bittersweet (Celastrus scandens) flowers and fruits in terminal panicles, whereas the oriental (Celastrus orbiculatus) flowers all along the stem. Yes they do hybridize, although in my area I would guess most of the bittersweet is Oriental.

This is a horribly invasive plant and is banned from sale and import in Mass. It should be eradicated if possible. 40 or so years ago, the previous owner here (she told me herself) and perhaps other neighbors threw out their Christmas decorations with bittersweet berries, and probably started the local invasion.

The birds eat the berries - especially Starlings which are also invasive - and are the primary vector for spreading many invasive berry-producing plants.

This pic is an example of the infestation in my neighborhood. This bittersweet is growing on my next door neighbor's trees. He has given me permission to go onto his lot and cut the vines, which I started doing in late summer. Over the years, I have spent a fair amount of time crawling around in the bushes and cutting Bittersweet, which is not very fun and perhaps a futile effort in the long run. :(

{{gwi:359481}}

• blaketaylore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, all, for your import on vines. It was very helpful. I enjoyed the website recommendations.