Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Highway fence with conifers

Posted by rgjac none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 10:33

My house has the backyard facing a highway; I would like to create a visual barrier that hopefully would work also as a sound barrier, although I'm aware that it may not work very well for that purpose. I would like to use some kind of tall (that reach over 16ft high) but thick trees that, planted side-by-side, would completely -- starting from the ground if possible -- block the view, and that would be green year-round (I live in CT, so I think it needs to be some kind of conifer.) The biggest problem is it's going to be a very long fence and I need it to be cheap, so I'm considering even planting seeds. Any suggestions on kinds of plants, where to buy seeds or small trees cheap? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Highway fence with conifers

We planted a line of Leyland cypresses (Cupressocyparis leylandii) to give us a large area of privacy. They grow very fast, 3-5 feet per year, and VERY tall, (50+ feet?), but can be trimmed. I like the look of them. There are some postives and negatives mentioned in the following article. Here's a link:

http://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenornamentaltrees1/p/leyland_cypress.htm

Thuja 'Green Giant' is another popular evergreen for screening. It's an arborvitae.

Not sure where to buy. Maybe Musser Forests?

http://www.musserforests.com/

Leslie

o

Try Great Garden Plants. You can get 3 foot tall Green Giant plants in gallon containers at a reasonable price. If you want to go smaller you can get 4" tall plants for $5 at a number of other places. GGP will also give you good instructions and a guarantee on all of their plants sold.

Steve

o

Thanks Leslie, I think Thuja "Green Giant" was what I had in mind. I also found that one type of bamboo would be a good fit, but for what I read I'm not so sure it stands the winter here. I'll try to find the place with the best price when I'm ready to work on this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here