Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worcester MA nursery recommendation?

Posted by pbl_ge 5/6 according to new (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 10:54

Hi Folks,

My parents are relocating from TN to Worcester this spring, moving into a cottage at a CCRC. The place will be brand new, so I'm assuming almost no landscaping. They have already been told they can plant it, with only minor restrictions. My mother, whose birthday is coming up, is a gardening fanatic, and I'd love to get her a gift certificate for a local nursery to help her get started in her new home.

Any recommendations? I'm sure they'd be able to drive a bit for good values. Ideally it would be a place that had everything from houseplants to trees, as I have no idea what she'll want most.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worcester MA nursery recommendation?

harveys farm in westborough is a fun place to go, there is also Green Thumb not far from there also in Westborough (rt9) Harveys gets most of my money though :) There is also Bigelow nurseries in Northboro, Berberians farm in Northboro has great deals, not a huge selection but worth stopping by in season

o

Is there a plant store at Tower Hill? That's the botanic garden outside of Worcester - she might really enjoy going there for inspiration if she hasn't gardened in New England before.

o

Tower Hill doesn't sell plants, but is a great place to recommend.

o

Tower Hill isn't your typical nursery, but in summer they usually have a small collection if plants out for sale.

o

Tower Hill also has Spring and Fall plant sales every year. They sell their own plants and plant societies from all over NE show up to sell their specialties as well. Usually Broken Arrow shows up at these sales. If you call Broken Arrow ahead of time they will put your order on their truck for the trip to Tower Hill. You will also find extensive collections of Hostas, Epimediums, Conifers and grasses at these plant sales. Highly recommended.

I would concur with mamagnome on Harvey's in Westborough. Bigelow's has an extensive collection of plants, but I caught them selling virused Hostas "on sale" once and that left a bad taste. Bemis Farms in Rutland is excellent. I would avoid Farmer's Daughter in Auburn. High prices and awful plants.

Steve

o

• Posted by pbl_ge 5/6 according to new (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 12:38

Thanks, everyone, for this very helpful information! Looks like a consensus is emerging about Harvey's--will look into this.

Thanks on behalf of my mom!!!

o

I live outside of Worcester, and my favorite is Bemis in Spencer. I also like Bigelows, also Pleasant View in Paxton. Tell them welcome to Woostah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here