Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rushing the season by winter-sowing before snow

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 & 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 11:32

Fellow NE'ers, I confess: I surrendered, bought 3 packets of annuals at the hardware store today. I'm going to plant the seeds (aquilegia, nigella, centaurea) on top of the garden beds and expect tomorrow's snow to cover and water them for a while. Maybe I'll have a few flowers out of this crazy idea. After all, plenty of bird-scattered birdseed produces plants and blooms such as sunflowers and corn. Anybody else try this? Or am I truly 'way too early? The packets say "plant 3-4 weeks before last frost."

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rushing the season by winter-sowing before snow

HA!!! Just be glad you have snow. I'm supposed to be in snow country up here. Can't remember the last time the white stuff fell. Why does Virginia have all the luck?!

I hope my new perennials make it through the winter. This is my first New England winter with a garden and I know the snow helps protect plants. Please please please please let my plants survive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here