Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

snowdrops!

diggingthedirt
13 years ago

Cleaning out the garden in February has its benefits -

I spotted a clump of snowdrops in bloom under an old overgrown rhody today. Now, if I could just find my camera ...

Comments (17)

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Oh I'm sure mine are blooming too. They are just too difficult to see under 3 feet of snow. Of course I am kidding, but it does make me happy that somewhere there are snowdrops blooming! Enjoy!
    : D

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Oh, DTD, please do find your camera! Like Deb's, mine are buried under a few feet of snow. I don't even see any ground yet. I'd love to enjoy your snowdrops if you can share them with us!

:)
    Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Snowdrops! Then there's hope! There must be Spring under the ice somewhere....

Claire

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I saw the title and thought you were going to talk about the charming snow flurries we had today. Fortuneately no accumulation here in MetroWest!

• rockman50
    13 years ago

Ahhh...Cape Cod....They often experience early spring before anybody else in our area because of the lack of snow cover, which allows the strong February and March sun to warm the ground and get those early blooms popping. Snow almost gone here on south coast of MA as well (only about 1 or 2 ratty inches left, plus ugly gray piles), should be gone this week. We should also have the snow drops blooming by the weekend!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

What?! Snow drops? I hate to be a gardening idiot, which I mostly am. Gently said, I'm a gardening newbie still. But snowdrops now? Under snow? Do they really bloom under snow?

Spring will be exciting, but not yet! I still have boatloads to WS, hope my seeds requiring cold temps will have enough cold temps to germinate, and there's a lot of skiing left to be done!

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

It must be great to see the snowdrops in bloom after the winter we've had! I remember one winter in the late 90's when one brave little crocus (which is always the first one to bloom anyway) was actually in bloom on Feb. 16th. This year there is still a foot of snow that drifted over it. Maybe it's in bloom under there so maybe if we have a few mild days and a lot of sun I will be able to see it. But if I had to guess I'd say it's not even out of the ground yet. Even my winter jasmine hasn't opened any blooms in over a month! Spring will be much appreciated this year!

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Winter Jasmine is also back asleep, after a few early blooms back in ... was it December? One year I kept track of which of the winter-blooming plants bounced back after a severe cold snap, but I can't recall how WJ fared. There are certainly loads of buds on it, I guess this week I'll find out if they're going to open or not.

I also have a lot of heath in bloom, but this is far from its best year! Normally by now it's stunning, a haze of pink, purple or white flowers. This year, most of it is pretty ratty looking, with lots of dead branches and browned-out flowers. Maybe I'll go trim it and see if I can improve its appearance just a little... if the sun comes out, that is.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

DTD,
    I had quite a few blooms on my winter jasmine around the first of January. If you recall, it was pretty mild on New Year's Eve and day. But we all know what followed shortly thereafter! On the up side, the snow has melted in my front beds, and that one pioneer crocus is out of the ground and may bloom in the next few days if it's not too cold!
    I never could get heath or heather to do well here. I don't know why.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Hey, Deanna -

We're a lot colder and snowier than those folks in the New England tropics on the Cape & islands and along the coast south of Cape Cod, so we won't have our earliest spring bloomers until late March most years. I'm always a bit envious of the folks with earlier spring, but I do love our snowy winters.

My earliest bloomers have been a hybrid witch hazel shrub, Hamamelis intermedia 'Diane', which often blooms surrounded by snow, and three small bulbs: snow crocus (earlier and smaller than regular crocus), snowdrops, and reticulated iris, a tiny bulb iris. All of these will bloom in warm pockets (like along the foundation) soon after the snow is off them, though there is usually still some snow left on the ground.

I have photos of the witch hazel and reticulated iris that I'll try to get up soon.

13 years ago

My little Hamamelis Arnold Promise has started to bloom! Just a wee shrub I bought in a tube size from Forest Farm a few years ago. It may have tried to bloom last year but the squirrels used it as a trampoline so I had to cage it.

No snowdrops or crocuses yet - they're still under snow/ice.

Claire

• ravenh2001
    13 years ago

My grand daughter came down sunday to ride snowmobile with grammy and you couldn't even see the tips of plants in the blueberry fields. Not even dirt yet in the plowed driveways. some sand in places but I am sure it was a topical mulch. bright sun today and the temp just before noon is up to 17F

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally got this photo off my phone!

From latewinter2011

13 years ago

What a cheerful sight! It's amazing how important a little plant can be when you're starved for spring.

Thanks!
    Claire

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

Here in Boston MetroWest, I found my first snow drop yesterday. At first I thought it was a clump of snow under a pine branch - since most of the yard is still covered in a couple feet of snow. But a couple spots that are under the pine trees, and get lots of sun are starting to thaw out.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Yay! Saw my first snowdrops today! So glad to finally see them.

:)
    Dee

• diggingthedirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Winter aconite is also blooming here now - mine was buried under spent Siberian iris leaves, so I just saw it yesterday.

It's such a cheery yellow, hard to miss it (once it's uncovered, that is).