Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great Backyard Bird Count Feb. 14 - 17, 2014

Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:39

The Great Backyard Bird Count is held next weekend, Feb. 14 - 17, 2014, and is a fun way to get outside, count birds, and contribute to a major citizen science event.

You can count one day, two days, three days, four days at one location, and if you feel like exploring around you can report results on a walk or a drive-by of an interesting location.

And after you submit your report(s) you can watch the results pour in from all over the world and check what birds other people have been seeing wherever.

Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great Backyard Bird Count Feb. 14 - 17, 2014

Let's hope we see the Mockingbird again tomorrow, etc. At first we thought it was a Blue Jay today at the feeder.
Molie

This post was edited by mjc_molie on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 9:05

o

I'll be doing this bird count!
NH Audubon bird count was last weekend and I had a flock of cedar waxwings finishing off some crabapples.
What fun!

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 11:17

I counted in various places yesterday and photographed some nice birds in the local marsh, but one of the great things about the GBBC is that you can check on the whereabouts of a bird that's a harbinger of spring.

Red-winged Blackbirds were seen in the hundreds in southeastern Massachusetts and there are reports in CT and RI. I myself saw a Brown-headed Cowbird this morning which is a bird that migrates early, usually with the grackles, close behind the red-wings.

Spring is closer!

Birds in the marsh:
Great Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron1 2:14:14

Green-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal2 2:14:14

Red-breasted Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser 2:14:14

Buffleheads and a Canada Goose (one of many many Canada Geese)
Bufleheads and Canada Goose 2:14:14

Claire

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:27

Lovely pictures. Marshes and ponds are simply the best! The heron looks as if he's walking in front of a diamond curtain. Can't be certain, but I think I detected a whiff of 'essence of spring' night before last just before 10PM. We'll see.
Jane

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 17:51

An interim report as the GBBC winds up, with lots of information on what birds were seen where:

GBBC eNewsletter
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
And as of 5:40 PM Feb. 20, 2014

Checklists Submitted from 131 countries:

Total Species Observed:

Total Individual Birds Counted:

and there's still checklists coming in!

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here