Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another gardening day today!

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 14:00

It's a nice day here so I got out for about an hour. Great time to rake out the beds, since the crocus and daffodil shoots are still really short and not above the mulch. And, with the ground still frozen, great time to get under the camellias and other things to rake out the late leaves and other winter debris. There was a lot to rake up under the holly tree! A lot of leaves and berries. Looks so much better now. Too bad it will be covered in white tomorrow! Still....I feel like I have started spring cleanup!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another gardening day today!

Bill, You were right and the weather was sunny and sort of warm (40?) briefly; and now I regret not driving down to RI from our MA place, to start the cleanup. However, in town here, I did manage to prune my 2 roses and winter-sow Love-in-a-Mist and Bachelor's Buttons. So now, let it snow!

Carol

o

Carol I wanted to prune my climbing rose but it will have to wait. There really won't be much to it. It has just a few larger canes.

o

Today was a gorgeous day! I kept thinking how odd it was that it was so beautiful and tomorrow we will supposedly have over a foot of snow!

Unfortunately, I had to work, so I only had about a half hour to go around and make sure things were battened down for the storm tomorrow. I took a walk around the yard and kept thinking how nice it would have been to clean up some old foliage and to put down some shredded leaves, and I stood and stared for awhile trying to decide whether I was looking at mole/vole holes, deer/animal prints, or frost-heave. I finally decided I didn't know, couldn't do anything about it today, sighed, and went inside, bringing a rock-solid frozen bag of potting mix in with me to thaw. I'm hoping to do some winter-sowing tomorrow, after shoveling.

I'm glad someone was out enjoying this nice day today. Hoping there are more to come... soon!

:)
Dee

o

Watch out, you codcoast and south coast guys! I see that 15" of snow is expected in Providence, and also winds up to 50 mph on the Cape.

Carol

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 12:40

Oh yes (dare I say ayah?),

NWS Storm Total Snow Forecast

and winds (what good is a storm without winds?)

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here