Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Snow in Hartford CT and surrounding areas?

sharbear50
13 years ago

Ok I have been looking at all of your snowy pictures and now sort of wonder,...when is the first snow and when will be the last. There are so many pretty pictures here, snow included but how long will winter actually last?

Comments (5)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

This photo was taken in the early 1970s in April (in Vermont.) Of course that year it had been 50 degrees F the week before. Winter can drag on for a long time here in northern New England, but Connecticut usually seems to be about a month ahead of us.

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

IIRC, it was 1988 - we had a snow storm in May. I only remember since my car ended up in a ditch on the side of the highway.

I'm right outside of Boston - the Pike/128. Typically my spring crocuses, snow drops, etc are in bloom the 1st and 2nd week of March. My pond ice is typically gone by mid-March.

I'm not worried about the snow predicted for tomorrow night. I'm worried about the warmth and rain tomorrow. With the ground still frozen - there is no where for that water to go. I hope it doesn't end up in my basement. But just in case - we've set up our water alarms and have the sump pump ready.

• asarum
    13 years ago

Sharbear: I am south of Boston near the coast in Zone 6a. Most years we get a killing frost towards the end of Oct. in this location. However, I usually have the whole month of Nov. to plant bulbs, shred leaves and mulch my beds with them etc., and am annoyed by snow falling then because it is early. The term killing frost is misleading because although tender plants get wiped out for sure by this, hardy plants seem to go dormant over a long fall to winter period.

I consider March a winter month with some encourgaging signs of spring, such as the early spring bulbs and temperatures that generally getting warmer. No one is surprised by a significant snow storm in March. For many years, I have organized a course for physicians that takes place in Boston in the first 10 days of April. This seems to be the turning point. Often I will wear a winter coat for some days, and then be thrilled to switch to a spring coat, but sometimes I have to go back to the winter coat.

In April people are annoyed to hear about any snow, and it usually is not signficant.

• sequoia54
    13 years ago

spedigrees: I went to boarding school in Vt from 1969-72, and recall that on Easter Sunday of 1970, there was a late storm which dropped about a foot of snow--most annoying to parents trying to get their children back to school!

The latest snowstorm I recall since moving to MA was on a Mother's Day, early 1980s. But that was a fluke. And anything after mid March melts very fast--as does any snow before Thanksgiving.

When was the "year without a summer?"--1814, I want to say, and that was at the end of the 500 year "Little Ice Age." The History Channel repeats a documentary about that every so often--quite interesting how a change of only a few degrees in the average temps can have such far reaching consequences.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

asarum, thanks for the info. I am looking forward to finally being settled in and planning a spring garden. Although it may be small, still I can't wait.
    sequoia, Oh no! Year without a summer? I shudder to think.