Return to the New England Gardening Forum

o
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2013

Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:57

I know it's way early, but something told me to check just in case, and the hummers are already in Florida! Two sightings on February 22 and 23!

These maps should automatically update so anyone who is interested can watch the progress (and get the feeder out of the cellar and find the nectar recipe when the sightings are getting close to you). To see the maps larger, click on the Spring 2013 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds link.

The maps are linked to, and produced by, the hummingbirds.net website where there's lots of useful and interesting information about the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 15:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird Spring Migration 2013

I start looking in May and look forward to the first day I spot a hummer in the garden. Never knew they were tracked so carefully. Now I can get a crossfix on the day to start looking. Thanks.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 14:29

Welcome to the hummingbird-fixated crew, Albie-J!

The hummers have been hunkered down along the Gulf Coast for at least a week, but yesterday one was sighted inland in Florida. Maybe that means they're about to head north (or maybe it's just a false alarm). When they start appearing in Georgia it gets serious.

Claire

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 9:42

The hummers are still massing along the Gulf Coast and a bit inland in Florida. The winds are in their faces so they probably wouldn't head north even if they hadn't gotten the memo about the coastal storm.

This Weather Underground wind map gives an idea of when winds would be favorable for a journey north. It should update.

Claire

o

Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 10:35

I see that on March 6 a hummer stuck a toe over the Florida border into Georgia. A good sign.

Claire

o

Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:16

Two sightings today in Mississippi, maybe heading north up the Mississippi River Valley. The East Coast hummingbirds haven't made much of a move north yet.

In past years it looked like there were two main migration paths - one up the lands west of the Appalachian Mountains and one on the east side of the mountains along the coast (disclaimer - I'm just guessing, trying to figure out a hummingbird's motives and intentions).

Claire

o

Pretty cool, thanks!

o

Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 10:51

Hummer migration is cool indeed, scaryscorpion! Welcome!

More sightings in Alabama, the question is which route will they take north - up the center or along the coast to New England?

Claire

o

Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 11:20

One sighting in Georgia on March 15, just short of the South Carolina border. The East Coast hummers are moving north (at least one of them anyway).

Claire

o

Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 13:16

Two sightings in South Carolina, on March 17 and 18. The southernmost tier of states is filling up with buzz birds champing at the bit, waiting for auspicious weather (and food to eat) before moving north.

Claire

o

Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 16:43

Five sightings in Arkansas between March 18 and 23, but the East Coasters are still hanging around Georgia and the south coast of South Carolina.

The hummers are probably suspicious of the claims of "Spring" on the East Coast, and rightly so.

Claire

o

Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 16:52

Since I'm weak in geography, I've been using this topographical map to both identify states and to visualize mountains, assuming that hummingbirds will avoid climbing mountains if they don't have to.

It's from Wikimedia Commons and the author is Captain Blood.

Claire

o

Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 10:31

AHA! On March 23 a hummer was sighted halfway up the North Carolina coast, around about where the Outer Banks start. I'm guessing the birds stay away from the Banks which would be short of food. Flying in and out along those estuaries may take some time, but it's good practice for the Chesapeake Bay which is coming up.

Claire

o

Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:38

And on March 24 a hummer was seen around Norfolk, VA at the south entrance to the Chesapeake Bay.

I've got to make the final decision about where to put the peanut and suet feeders which are now hanging from the two hummingbird feeder hooks. Historically I see the first male hummers at the end of April - April 22, 2011 was the earliest for my yard - so I've got about a month to get ready (but I want to be ready a few weeks in advance just in case) .

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 11:40

Whoa! At least one hummer has crossed Chesapeake Bay and was seen on the Delmarva Peninsula, just short of Delaware. The next hurdle is to cross Delaware Bay. I wonder if they follow the bridges like the report of the first Tufted Titmice moving onto Cape Cod.

I've got the hooks set up so I can transfer the suet and peanut feeders off the hummer feeder hooks as soon as needed, and the hummingbird feeders are up from the cellar. Concentrated sugar solution is made up and in the refrigerator ready for last minute dilution.

I still haven't put the hummer feeders up but I'm getting nervous.

Claire

o

Claire, do you remember their arrival date at your house in 2012 ? I just looked mine up and it was May 7th when I first noticed the weary traveler.
Jane (too lazy to scour GW for the 2012 thread)

o

Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 17:23

Jane:

First male 4/26/12 10:45 AM
First female 5/5/12 11:50 AM

The first male hummingbird here is not necessarily inclined to stay. I suspect they're transients heading north but stopping for a bite to eat. That's fine with me; I'm happy to hand off the water bottle during the race.

I usually won't see a male every day until the first female shows up and settles in. Then I'll see both males and females daily for a while (until they nest).

Claire

o

Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 13:49

Hummingbird sighting in south New Jersey on April 5.

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 8:49

Mid New Jersey April 7. Maybe taking the Jersey Turnpike? With bird-friendly rest areas?

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 16:42

April 7 in Rhode Island! That's it, one of my feeders is going up today (even though the hummers probably won't get here until the azaleas and rhododendrons bloom).

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 18:25

I took the suet feeder off the hummer hook so I could put up the hummer feeder. It's now about 20 feet away from the old location.

Suet feeder moved 4:8:13

A Downy Woodpecker came looking for suet and ended up scraping dropped suet off the baffle. Hopefully he'll find the suet feeder soon.

Hummingbird Feeder with downy 4:8:13

Claire (waiting for hummingbirds)

o

Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 18:45

On April 5 a hummer was sighted in CT and on April 9 in central MA! The reports are sometimes shown on the map later (MA was entered today) - probably because they weren't reported the same day the birds were seen.

These early reports may be birds hustling far north and not likely to stay around, but I hope people are getting ready for the real arrivals. Better to waste a little sugar water than to force a hungry hummingbird to go elsewhere (and not come back).

Claire

edit note: The sighting in Central MA is shown as April 9, not April 5 as I'd originally noted.

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:15

o

Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:27

So far the eastern hummers seem to have been going up the Susquehanna River (or maybe the Delaware River) rather than staying on the coast to New England.

Today (April 14) a hummer was reported in New York State, maybe having flown along the Hudson River.

Of course, I'm just guessing the route, but if I were a bird trying to get north ASAP I'd follow the low lands along a river, maybe snacking on the insects that hang around water.

Nothing new in New England yet.

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 19:53

April 13: Sighting on the North Shore of MA, near Gloucester.

Flew right by me.

Claire

o

I hope they've got warm jackets this year when I see how far north they have gotten. Still too early for me -- they usually show the first week in May. But I'll take the suet off the feeder this weekend too.
lucia

o

Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 10:30

April 17: Sighting just south of Boston. That one flew right by me too.

Another in New York state probably on the way up the Hudson River. They're all over the south ends of the Great Lakes.

lucia: Good, you'll sleep easier not worrying about the hungry hummers.

Claire

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:40

Cannot confirm what I saw at sunset yesterday -- it was 'bigger than a bug' whizzing by the living room window -- and saw the same size ? whizzing by today, so the hummer feeder is up.

o

Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 16:58

Waiting with bated breath for first confirmation by a New England Gardening forum member!

Of course, there are some really big bugs around...like Hummingbird Moths... but this is early for them.

Do you have anything in your garden that a hummingbird might feed on? (I'm looking for blooming indicators - like rhododendrons or azaleas, bleeding hearts, columbines....)

I assume you are ensconced by the window with your camera, having food delivered to you, so as not to miss a hummer at the feeder.

Claire

o

Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 12:10

"Do you have anything in your garden that a hummingbird might feed on? (I'm looking for blooming indicators - like rhododendrons or azaleas, bleeding hearts, columbines....) "
Nothing. Some forsythia, daffs, that's it. By the end of next week the serviceberry, possibly chokeberry will be in the early stages of blooming, lilacs are a couple of weeks ahead, but not good hummer food, nothing really sweet here (including the residents). Only the sugar water right now.

o

My PJM Rhodies are expanding and will be in flower tomorrow or the next day. I also have some Hosta seedlings in flower that are available.

Steve

o

Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:08

Excellent, Steve! Rhodies and hosta flowers are loved by hummers. I noticed a PJM Rhodie in flower in my local supermarket parking lot, although none of the closer rhododendrons or azaleas are blooming. The trail does not yet lead to my yard but maybe it does to yours.

Claire

o

Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 15:12

New England HUMMER REPORT: Columbia, CT, 4/20/2013, 2:46PM - feeding at hummer feeder.

o

Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 16:28

YEEHAW! Congratulations, Jane!

Got pictures? (I know you would have posted them if you did, but I'm just nagging).

Claire

o

Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 16:57

Not my feeder, a friend's window feeder - about 17 miles from me. She called me this afternoon in a state of happy excitement. She has one of those suction cup feeders on her kitchen bay window and said that the first hummer (she saw 2) sat and drank for a very long time. When seated at her kitchen table, the hummers are no more than a couple of feet away and it is nice to watch them through the glass. She has had about a dozen steady customers every summer. Her house is surrounded by garden fields and meadows and in mid-summer, she has to fill the feeders at least twice a day.

I've told 3 households about putting up feeders now, and all 3 did, so we're prepared for their arrival.

o

I live in colchester ct and It's april 21 2013 should i put my feeder now our want and put it up april 28,2013. Is anyone in ct seeing any hummingbirs now?

o

Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 14:29

Put it up now! A couple posts up there's a report of a hummingbird seen yesterday in Columbia, CT, and if you check the map at the top of the thread there are sightings in CT dating back to April 4. Don't wait until next Sunday - a hungry hummer won't, and can't, wait around for food.

Claire

o

But its been cold so how are they going live?

o

Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:30

They can survive temperatures above freezing so long as they get food to keep their metabolism going. Each year they migrate when the temperatures are borderline, taking a chance that they'll find food along the way.

That's why it's so important to have feeders ready for them - they need the food to keep their metabolism active to keep them warm and flying. The early migrants are in northern Maine almost to Canada, which is a whole lot colder than Connecticut.

Please, put the feeder up.

Claire

o

Ok thats for telling me that. I am leaning as i go. I just put my hummingbird feeder up. How offen should i change the food for them? It going to get down in the 30 tonight so should i take the feeder inside?

o

Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 17:09

Good. Keep an eye on the solution, if it gets cloudy it needs to be changed immediately. In this cool weather it will probably stay clear and OK for up to a week.

It wouldn't hurt to bring the feeder inside if the temperature drops below freezing although the sugar will probably depress the freezing point a bit, like antifreeze. If you do bring it in, you should put it out again early in the morning because any hummers around will be up and looking for food after the sun comes up.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see any hummingbirds for a while - they may not be in your neighborhood yet, or they may fill up on sugar water and then move on to the location where they were born. Even if they don't stay yet your feeder may be an important waystation to keep them fed on their travel.

Claire

o

Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 17:23

I just checked the map again and there are six reports of hummers just over the border in Canada, the earliest ones on April 15 (fleeing to Canada to avoid filing taxes?)

It always annoys me when hummingbirds get to Canada before Plymouth, MA, but it happens every year. I guess we're a side road here.

Claire

o

Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:40

Can we count my first Pseudo-hummer?

o

Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:55

Only if I can count the RCA Victor dog -
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:59

o

what is a pseudo hummer?

o

Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 19:31

Just kidding because of the anticipation of the arrival of hummers. This is a chickadee sipping at the hummingbird feeder. There is no bird called a pseudo hummer.

o

I understand the humor now its been a long day.

o

Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 8:22

Claire, I'm easy, I'd count the dog - plus it was a laugh. The Columbia, CT hummers only stayed to Sunday noon, then ventured forth. But at least reporting the overnight guests is further support for putting feeders out in mid-April. Good that you post this annually.

o

Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 10:04

j.bush: Chickadees like to drink from hummer feeders and so do the orioles.

I also saw a chickadee on my feeder a few days ago, although it was drinking from the well. Sometimes the chickadees look like they're doing it to annoy the hummingbirds, one of the few bird species that are smaller than them.

Orioles like the sugar water but they have trouble drinking from the small ports on my feeder. Maybe they can use Jane's type of feeder. You can buy oriole feeders that also use sugar water.

The first orioles here appear within a few days of the first hummer.

Claire

o

I have taken two of my hummer feeders and drilled out the holes to a larger size. The Orioles love it and the hummers feed from it also. They seem more effective than those garish, orange Oriole feeders . Been doing this for years.

o

Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 16:46

sconticut - did you have Orioles before hanging a hummer feeder? I'd be delighted to have an Oriole feeder (not garish to my eyes against a nice green foliage background) if I thought it would attract Orioles, but I have never seen an Oriole - anywhere - much less in my yard. So my question is similar to the proverbial, chicken or egg: Orioles before the feeder, or feeder before the Orioles?

Jane

o

To Corunum,
Yes I did. Tried to keep them in the area with the usual grape jelly feeders. That resulted in very happy ants, hornets and squirrels with bad teeth. Next we set out several brightly colored Oriole feeders designed to resemble surrealistic citrus mutations. They made friends and neighbors chuckle and brought threats from the visual pollutiion police. The regular old hummer feeders with the enlarged holes did the trick. I do believe that the presence of very tall trees nearby might be a major contributing factor to attracting orioles, however.

o

I see that they are finally in my neck of the woods, though it seems a bit early. I'll keep my eyes out for them, though I plant for the hummers, but don't put out feeders.

Claire said,"Sometimes the chickadees look like they're doing it to annoy the hummingbirds, one of the few bird species that are smaller than them."

Those chickadees are pretty gutsy, since the hummers are perfectly comfortable scolding me. They may be small, but they can be fierce.

o

Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 17:42

Sometimes when people start complaining about aggressive birds, I think what a 10 lb chickadee or a 10 lb hummingbird would be like. I wouldn't hang around to find out - I'd just throw them some food and run.

Claire

o

There are hummers in West Barnstable, Ma, at my fathers house! But none 4 miles away at my house in Centerville.
I've had my feeder out for week....any time now.

Teresa

o

Someone in colchester ct already saw a hummingbird. I live in colchester and have not seen one yet. I saw a bluebird today. I also saw a chickadee drink from my hummingbird feeder today

o

Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 10:08

Winds are forecast to be from the south for a few days, although not very strong. I'm hoping that will waft a hummer or two in my direction, and maybe some orioles too.

Claire

o

Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:09

HERE!!!! He's here. I heard him first, then he saw the feeder. No picture as I was outside gardening and couldn't move otherwise I'd have scared him.
Jane

o

Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:40

Wonderful, Jane! I'm picturing a long day flying and seeing a bright red feeder waiting for me, with a gardener frozen nearby.

Claire (waiting for the photos)

o

Response to Corunum:
Great! Here in Fairhaven, I spent the day in the yard potting up 80 tomato plants keeping an eye out for hummers and orioles. Nothing but Grackles and Robins but I know they will arrive any day now.
Will freshen up the feeders this week.

o

Just joining in after following this exciting thread! I planted for hummers for the first time last summer, and they did show up in the summer, and I believe nested in a tree in our back yard. As far as I could tell, they never used the feeder, just flowers. I've put the feeder out, but nothing's really blooming yet--though I did put out a few of those bedding sage plants but it's just a pathetic few. Do you think they would show up now, even though it's earlier than they arrived for me last year?

o

1st Hummingbird of the season arrived this morning. Today is a great day!

o

I was so excited, I forgot to say I live in Ashford, CT.

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 13:33

Good shot, Parrot. I haven't been home long enough to watch for the one that stopped yesterday, so we'll see what happens this week. It is a happy happening, isn't it? Well done.

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:23

Congratulations, parrotplay! It's so nice to have the little buzzbirds zipping around the yard, visiting your feeder, and posing for the camera (very nice shot). Somehow it seems more real when someone on the forum sees them. Now if they could just find Plymouth, MA....

Claire

o

i live ct have not seen any hummingbirds yet. I saw my first hummingbird last year around may 8 5:23pm. Do come back the same time every year? I have my seed feeder up still i hope the hummingbirds do not mine the other birds.

o
RE RE: Hummingbird Spring Migration 2013

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 18:02

Me too! I've been out in the yard most of the day wrangling roses so I haven't been watching the feeder. I'm at the computer window now and I just looked up and saw this! He was only there for a few seconds but I had the camera next to me and got one shot.

First Hummingbird male 4:29:13

j.bush: The hummingbirds migrate according to the weather and plants in bloom and that's different every year. I wouldn't expect them to come at the same time as last year, but they might. As long as your seed feeder isn't too close to the hummer feeder they should be able to coexist, but hummingbirds avoid larger birds (and most birds are larger than them).

Claire

o

I going to move the seed feeder away from the deck and put near a tree. So i hope then i see the hummingbird soon.

o

Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 7:37

Congratulations, Claire! That makes Spring in Plymouth official.

o

where are the hummingbirds? I have not seen any yet.

o

Wed, May 1, 13 at 9:26

j. bush: Many of the hummingbirds we're seeing now are probably migrants heading farther north. After all, they have to eat somewhere on their journey. You may not be on the high speed lane route for these birds.

A little later the females should be flying in and they're more likely to establish residency, particularly if they were in your yard last year. If the females stay some males will too.

You just have to be patient and keep the feeder up and clean.

Claire

o

Has anyone seen any more hummingbirds? I still waiting have seen any.

o

I haven't put my feeders up yet, I thought it was too early, but I'll be sure to get them established tonight after work. I'm in northeastern MA near the NH border. I'll let you know if I see any! Great post!

o

Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:19

Definitely not too early, littleredshed. I've been seeing a male hummingbird every day since Monday, April 29. It looks like this one is establishing his territory and plans to wait for a female to show up. I'm a little surprised since usually the first males here keep going, but I'm not complaining. There could be more than one male; they don't wear name tags.

Today the first Baltimore Oriole appeared at the hummer feeder! The sun glare was directly in my face so I couldn't get a clear photo.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:21

o

Jealous! None in my NW CT Litchfield Hills location yet. The hummers usually arrive the first week in May, so I put the feeder up on Saturday in hopes.
lucia

o

I saw a male hummingbird today at feeder at 6;50am. Last year the male came around 5/8/12 at 5;30pm. He stop a both feeder and had a drink.

o

Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:31

Congratulations, j.bush! Your hummer apparently has a schedule to follow and aimed for May 8 again.

Claire

o

An albino hummingbird was photographed in VA, with photos in the article linked below. It's a bit off topic, but I thought it would be of interest to hummingbird watchers here on the New England forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: albino hummer photos

o

Thu, May 9, 13 at 10:12

Not off topic at all, nhbabs, we can add albino hummer migration to the thread. Anybody seen one yet?

That's an amazing bird!

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, May 9, 13 at 10:13

o

Hi! I am from Centerville, MA, & I am beyond excited to share with everyone that last evening, at 4:23 p.m, a Hummer stopped by & drank quite a bit from the suction feeder on my front porch window.This is my first year trying to attract hummers to my home/yard. Over the past several months I have been preparing for this by doing things such as reading, planting and growing different flowers and bush's that hummers prefer, and of course, hanging up a homemade mixture of sugar water in the feeders. I came to this sight looking for any tips or ideas that I hadn't heard of yet. When I started reading this thread and realized there are others around me who are just as passionate (if not more) about birding, or Hummers than I am, I felt that joining this forum & sharing my excitement about my 1st Hummer was absolutely necessary. Although I know he may have only been stopping by for a drink to reload & continue on his way North, I am hoping that he will be back this evening, where I will be patiently waiting with my camera!

o

Sun, May 12, 13 at 15:20

Well, Arnelle, welcome first of all, but now you've done it. You are hereby obligated to report with a picture when you get one. Good for you! I don't have a window feeder, but I might just get one soon. One little hummer came to my only feeder today and by the time I got to the camera, she was probably an acre away. I'll get her yet.

I have friend who has a window feeder and she is so mobbed every year that she had to get another free standing feeder to clear the traffic jam. She lives across the street from acres of meadows, so there are plenty of wildflowers for hummers.

Good luck, Arnelle, and let us know what happens.

Kindly,
Jane (who is still without a steady customer) oh! she was just there again. I'll see ya.

o

Sun, May 12, 13 at 16:26

Welcome, Amelie, and congratulations on your first hummer! You're just a bit to the south of me and it's getting time for the residents to move in so maybe yours will stay.

I'm still seeing a male multiple times a day but he's really in a hurry and just takes a few sips and zips off again - not enough time for me to get the camera focused (and the camera is right next to me here at the computer window and I'm usually fast).

It's about time for a female to show up and set up housekeeping. When the females are in place the males will hang around.

Be warned, once the hummers nest there may be a time when you won't see any at your feeders. They catch insects to feed the babies (can't fill up little bottles with sugar water) and may stay away for a while. Don't worry, they'll be back when the kids fledge.

Claire

o
(a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/claireplymouth/8732376

Sun, May 12, 13 at 18:12

I was just trying to get a photo of the male that won't stay at the feeder long enough, when suddenly a hummingbird came to the feeder and fed while flying, then perched and leisurely sipped. A different bird!

Sure enough, it's a female, the first of the season.
First Hummingbird female1 5:12:13

You can see a little bit of the tongue still sticking out here.
First Hummingbird female2 5:12:13

The tongue is back inside the bill.
First Hummingbird female3 5:12:13

Now the male should definitely stay in the yard.

Claire

Edit note: Sometimes people worry that the level of sugar water in the feeder is too low and the hummingbirds won't be able to reach it.

I copied this from the instructions in the box that the Droll Yankees feeder came in.

"A hummingbird's tongue is roughly twice the length of its beak. It licks the nectar. (Approximately 13 licks per second!) You might see its beak and think that it can't reach the nectar in the bottom of the feeder. Look closely with binoculars to see the tongue."

This post was edited by claire on Sun, May 12, 13 at 18:23

o

Bingo! Even tho conditions were far from ideal to sit on my back stairs and have my coffee this morning, there I was with my eye on the feeder, when I spied my first visitor taking a long drink. I think it was a female, and that she's a keeper -- I saw her again and heard chittering from their honeysuckle bush, where they have their babies to my great joy every summer. YAY!
lucia

o

Amazing photos Claire! i finally set my feeder up tonight before it got too dark. Looking forward to watching and waiting..
Mindy

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 8:25

The first steady hummer at the feeder. He was here several times yesterday and this morning at 8:11, the camera captured him in reverse leaving after feeding for a what seemed a normal feeding time - not that first weary traveler, belly up to the bar amount of time. He's home.

Jane

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 10:10

Congratulations, lucia! The honeysuckle bush sounds like a lovely, tasty place to raise a family.

Beautiful pic, Jane, red feeder with lilacs to set off the hummer.

Claire

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 10:47

Coming every 15-20 minutes now. Then, as one left, another one flew in! This year I've created an almost all red hummer garden with Monarda,'Jacob Cline'; Lychnis, Maltese Cross; Liatris; Blanket flower,Arizona; and soon the canna bulbs will go in. Claire, did you notice any increase in hummer population after hanging an additional feeder?
Jane

o

They are here in Athol,Ma. , finally! Reading this thread as I do every year I was nervous that I might have missed them, as people were reporting earlier arrivals. Last year they showed up at my feeders May 8th and stayed. Friday 5/10@6am as I was sitting drinking my morning coffee on my 3 season porch and I heard that buzz, as I looked up their he was perched and sipping. Then on Sat. and Sunday I seen 2 females, all of them came thoughout the weekend sipping and pearching.. I am so excited they are here.

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:07

It's Buddy, the same fellow that has spent the past 3 summers here. This will be his 4th year here. The patterns are the same, e.g., landing on the same branches, using the same arbor to sleep on, hovering in front of my office window.
The Stretch

The Sleep

I will always be glad to have hummingbirds here, but have to admit, it's a gift to be able to recognize the same identifiable patterns. It's Buddy.

Jane, A very grateful birdwatcher

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 17:24

Congratulations, dawngirl! The serious residents seem to be showing up all over in the last few days (well, all over in southern New England anyway).

Jane: I'm glad Buddy is back. What a photogenic hummingbird (and excellent photographer)!

I didn't really notice an increase in the hummer population when I put up a second feeder a few years ago, but there was a decrease in the territorial battles. One feeder is in the front of the house and the other in the back. The other good thing is that I can watch one feeder from my computer window and the other on the deck.

Claire

o

Mon, May 13, 13 at 19:55

Thanks for the compliment, Claire. (the check is in the mail)

o

Why am i not see so many hummingbirds now? Ther were lot of hummingbirds on monday and tuesday. Is it time for the female to make a nest?

o

Fri, May 17, 13 at 9:29

j.bush: They may be going to nest. Have you been changing the sugar solution? Once they start feeding the solution gets contaminated quickly from their tongues and bills. If it looks at all cloudy they won't eat it.

Claire

o

I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet :(. Does that mean they're not going to come back? I think they nested here last summer; but I guess I didn't see them til what seemed like pretty late (when the bee balm started blooming)

o

The Last hummingbirds i saw were last saturday.I cleaned the feeders and put fresh nectar in the feeders every day because of the hot weather we been haveing. Still no hummingbirds have come to the feeder. Were are the hummingbirds going and will they be back to feed on my feeders?

o

Wed, May 22, 13 at 8:15

If you have a feeder up with clean sugar water, the hummers are invited - that's the best you can do. I didn't see 'mine' for a day and half until she came last night. Sometimes, it's all in the timing. Bee balm, the plant monarda, is a sure-fire attraction.

o

Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:39

I'm not seeing the hummers often now, but they have a lot of blooming plants to nectar on and they may be nesting now.

I expect they'll be back later.

Claire

o

Today I saw my first hummingbird for this year, a female. I don't have a feeder (those pesky black bears!) so they may have been around for a bit without being noticed as they visited the various flowers in the yard. I think the one today was visiting the wild columbine that I have let seed themselves around the gardens. One of my heuchera has buds and in past years they have loved it, so I imagine I'll be seeing them more frequently now.

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 9:19

Congratulations, nhbabs, on your free-ranging hummingbird! (Black bears do change your bird feeding habits, or so I've heard - luckily I don't know firsthand).

I didn't know the hummers like heuchera, another good plant to add to the overcrowded garden.

Claire

o

I do plant specifically for the hummers since that's really my only possibility for attracting them. The Heuchera they like is a quite old (20 years probably) variegated green leafed type with tall bright red flowers. Some of their other favorite flowers include Black and Blue Salvias and scarlet runner beans, both of which have long bloom periods.

Last summer I added a Lonicera 'Major Wheeler' and this summer a set of Agastache rupestris which will often over-winter for a few years to give them more choices.

The hummers stay all summer, so I am happy even without a feeder.

o

My hummingbirds are back. I have not seen them for a week. I am happy to see them everyday.

o

Saturday I visited several gardens on the Upper Valley Open Gardens list, and one of the gardens had an enormous pink shell azalea in full bloom. While I was near it a hummingbird visited it a couple of times until another couple came up the trail and she took off. I guess I had never considered my rhodies having attraction for hummers, but I guess I will see if I can find another pink shell since my last one was left behind when I moved.

o

Mon, May 27, 13 at 9:00

nhbabs: One of the indicators here for hummer arrival is the PJM rhododendrons blooming in the local supermarket parking lot. It's as if they follow the rhododendron trail from the supermarket to my yard. We have some old reddish-orange azaleas my mother planted and I once had a hummingbird hover at my shoulder while I was looking at them (don't mess with my azaleas, lady). The wild honeysuckles bloom around this time too.

j.bush: Glad they're back. They should be settled in for the season now.

Claire

o

I *finally* saw my first hummer of the season. A male spent a lot of time visiting the feeder this morning. I've "heard" him whizzing by a few times over the past week. But didn't "see" him until today.

o

Deleting duplicate post

This post was edited by pixie_lou on Mon, May 27, 13 at 13:05

o

Mon, May 27, 13 at 12:36

Congratulations, pixie_lou! I'll bet your pond is a great source of insects for the hummers. Not so great for you, probably, but the birds and aquatic critters should help keep the population down.

Claire

o

There has been a male hummingbird perched on a shephard hook where I have a hanging plant. He will stay there for quite awhile,then he gets a drink. He will continously do this.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:09

j.bush: Your male hummingbird is probably guarding his territory from other males. He'll attack any other male that tries to feed there. Usually they lurk out of site in a nearby tree or shrub and only come out when another hummer dares to enter their territory.

Claire

o

I've been following this thread with interest. I moved into a new home last year (in a less urban location than my last) but didn't put up a feeder until this spring. I've been anxiously watching, hoping to see a hummingbird visit, with no luck until yesterday. I put the feeder on a shepard's crook outside of a window at an angle that I can see it from the couch, and yesterday I looked out of the window to see a little hummingbird hovering and drinking, making cute little noises. I didn't get a picture or a close up look, since I didn't want to scare it away, and it drank there for a few moments before flying away. I hope it comes back! At least now it knows where to find a quick meal. :)

o

Got a quick snap with my phone of the female hummingbird visiting the columbine.

o

Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 18:48

Congratulations, jenniferg76! Was this after heavy rain? I remember once there was a whole day of heavy rain and the birds were stuck wherever, probably having trouble finding food without getting beaten down.

When the rain stopped I saw and heard a hummingbird making mouse-like little sounds and flying frantically to flowers and the feeder. I imagine a few hours without food is really stressful to a bird with such a rapid metabolism.

Claire

o

Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 18:52

Very nice, nhbabs! Lots of flowers for the hummers.

Claire

o

Hi Claire, actually it was in the middle of that 90 degree heat we were having. Maybe the heat was stressing it?

o

Jenniferg76, my experience is that the hummers make a little chipping noise when they aren't happy that I am in the garden with them, so if that was the noise s/he was making, perhaps it has spotted you and was expressing displeasure.

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 10:00

nhbabs: That makes sense and maybe my hummer in the rain was desperate for food and was complaining that I was in its way.

Claire

o

Just found this thread! I have a small brownish hummingbird (sorry I don't know the species) that I just spotted feeding about 15 minutes ago out of a small feeder in a hanging herb basket. I can't be sure, but I'm almost positive it's the same little one who nearly flew into my face when I popped out onto our deck unexpectedly last week-the "driving" habits are certainly New England appropriate lol :-)

o

nhbabs, I was inside the house and several feet away from the window at the time, but I guess it could have seen me or heard me even so.

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 18:30

EpeeGardener: The usual hummer in New England is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, but very rarely Rufous Hummingbirds are seen. The ruby-throated is predominantly bright green so the "brownish" color is surprising. I've never seen the rufous but maybe that one appears brownish.

The other brownish possibility is the Hummingbird Moth.

Whatever it is, all are wondrous creatures and all could be said to exhibit "eccentric" driving habits.

Claire

o

Claire, Thanks for the help- I think it might have been a hummingbird moth. Little disappointed that it wasn't a hummingbird, but still a unique creature. I live very close to a protected area so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled!

o

I am up here on the cape at my parents place and saw a hummingbird at there feeder today. I been seeing the hummingbirds up here all this week but not at the feeder. This is my frist time seeing hummingbirds here at the cape.

o

I've been seeing mr hummer daily. I put a hanging basket of wave petunias near my feeder. Mr hummer clearly prefers petunia nectar to my sugar syrup. That's ok. As long as he stays in the neighborhood!

o

Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 15:50

j.bush: Lots of things blooming now on the Cape so the hummers should have plenty to eat.

pixie_lou: Real plant nectar is much more nutritious than sugar syrup but I've noticed that the hummers here will grab a quick sip from the feeder and then head back out to the real stuff. Sort of a guaranteed meal when the real stuff runs short. Late in the afternoon the hummers usually stop by to top off the stomach before going off for the night.

Claire

o

Well, I worked from home today, which gave me a great opportunity to watch for hummingbirds! Our female came back a few times. She likes to sit and drink a lot at one time. We also have a little male that has started to come around. He came to the feeder constantly all day, every 10-15 minutes, it seemed. Unlike the female, he hovered as he ate, looking up every few seconds.

This isn't the best picture - I'll have to learn the fine art of hummingbird photography now!

o

Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 10:28

Nice pic, jenniferg76. I've also noticed that the females are more likely to sit and drink leisurely - particularly at the end of a long day flying around. I do have one male sitter though.

I think I saw a first-year male today, he approached the feeder and flew all around it but didn't seem to know what the do with it so he flew away. I'm sure he'll figure it out soon.

Claire

o

EpeeGardener - One way to tell the difference between humming birds and hummingbird moths is sound. The birds' wings make noise, sort of a buzzing that is much deeper than bees. The HB moths are silent as well as being a bit smaller. We enjoy them both.

o

Here's a thread on the Cottage Gardens forum that has a link to a video with multiple hummers at a feeder. In my yard, they don't share well at all, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on cottage gardens with hummingbird video link

o

Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:03

Great video, nhbabs! Hummingbirds here don't share either - maybe it's different in Minnesota (Minnesota nice?), or maybe they're not ruby-throats.

Claire

o

Finally caught a pic of my garden visitor-I'm pretty sure this one is a hummingbird (*crossing fingers for not a moth* lol). Actually, she usually gets in my face a little if the food is low, but I haven't had my phone handy yet.

o

Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:06

Definitely a hummer and not a moth, EpeeGardener.

Very nice pic but it's displayed at 90 degrees from the original. I'm not sure why but I do know that when I create an email image using my Canon ImageBrowser there's a step where they ask if I want to set it to "Rotate according to Rotation Information" so that it will be displayed the same no matter what the Preferences of the viewer. Maybe that's happening here?

Probably someone else here can fix it - I tried a few things but it didn't work for me.

Claire

o

Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:11

Duplicate Post

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:31

o

How do i keep bees away from my hummingbird feeder?

o

Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 10:08

J.bush: There's no sure-fired way that I know of to keep the bees away. Hummingbirds.net says:

"Bees, Wasps, and Yellowjackets
Bees and wasps are attracted to the color yellow. Since many hummingbird feeders have yellow plastic "flowers" or other parts, try removing such parts or painting them red before hanging your feeder in the spring - once bees learn where food is, they fly right back to the hive to tell all their friends, so avoiding their attention up front works best.

You can buy a feeder with bee guards. However, those tend to be the drippiest feeders available (Perky-Pet "Four Flowers," etc.), and once they start dripping the bee guards are useless, since puddles form in the flowers outside of the bee guards, an easy meal for insects.

Bees tell each other about good nectar sources using pheromones, so it may help to clean the feeder daily with vinegar. It may also help to rub a clove of garlic around the ports. I don't recommend using Pam or other oils or greases on hummingbrd feeders.

The only sure defense against bees and wasps is to absolutely deny them access to the syrup. In June 1997 I replaced my Perky-Pet 210-P with a HummZinger, which is inherently wasp-proof because the syrup level is too low for insects to reach, but easily in range of the shortest hummingbird tongue. I also bought a Perky-Pet Oasis feeder, a copy of the HummZinger with several design flaws, but just as effective against bees. Basin feeders are also available from Opus and other companies, and all are effective in denying food to bees and wasps. All are also easy to clean.

If you choose not to try a new feeder and wasps persist, first try moving the feeder, even just a few feet; insects are not very smart, and will assume the food source is gone forever. They may never find it in its new location, while the hummers will barely notice that it was moved. If that doesn't work, take the feeder down for a day, or until you stop seeing wasps looking for it. You'll see hummers looking for it, too, but they won't give up nearly as soon as the wasps. Also, reducing the sugar concentration to 1 part sugar in 5 parts water will make it less attractive to insects, but probably won't make the hummingbirds lose interest."

I once saw a hummer sharing a feeder with a bee but that's not common. Usually the birds avoid the bees - I imagine the sting could be fatal to such a small bird.

Hummingbird and bee 9:12:11

Claire

o

Claire- I tried to fix the picture too, but for some reason it would not cooperate. I took the picture with my phone, and it looked normal loading and in my preview so I'm not sure where things went wrong. Sorry for the neck strain!

o

Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:08

Let's see if this will work. I downloaded your pic to my desktop and used Canon ImageBrowser to make a new email image. ImageBrowser said the usual, that this image might be displayed differently so I did the "Rotate according to Rotation Information" choice and then used TinyPic to upload.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Looks good in Preview.

Claire

edit note: And it held in the post. Another of those strange computer things I don't really understand but sometimes can work with.

This post was edited by claire on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:11

o

i was seeing a lot of hummingbird but know i only see one male hummingbird. I been changing the food. Why is this happen?

o

Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 20:13

j.bush: Maybe the females are off nesting, or it could be that there are just enough flowers and insects out there that most of the hummers have natural food to eat and only sometimes come to the feeders.

Keep the feeders changed so the hummers can come if the flowers let up. Different flowers bloom during the summer and they will probably need the sugar syrup.

Claire

o

has anyone been seeing hummingbirds later?
I have not been see any at all.

o

Hi guys, I have FINALLY had the first hummingbird sighting today! Yippee! Although I am feeling a bit inadequate since most other people (besides J. bush) have been seeing them for weeks. :-D

Hummie was out on the red Bee balm - my patch of Monarda didyma which has just started to bloom. I expect to see them on a regular basis from this point forward. They love the bee balm, and the Lobelia cardinalis, and the Salvia, Ipomoea, and Zinnias. Awesome!

Edited to add: I usually don't put out any feeders. Just try to grow a lot of nectar rich plants that the hummingbirds can utitlize.

This post was edited by terrene on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 19:53

o

Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 9:40

j.bush: I'm still seeing hummers every day even though they now have many nectar-bearing flowers to browse on. Lots of insects too. They just zip up to the feeder, take a sip, and zip onwards, probably to better tasting pastures. I feel like I'm handing out water bottles on a hot day.

Congratulations, terrene! My Jacob Kline bee balm is now blooming too, along with a few thousand meadow phlox, so the hummers should be happy. Hostas are beginning to bloom too. This time of year they probably don't really need the feeders but spring is usually so late here at the coast that I like to to keep them fed so they stay around until the flowers come in.

Claire

o

Has anyone else had a problem with those little white worms eating their monarda flowers? I've searched the internet, and people in other forums, etc have mentioned this. But no one has identified them. They are so gross and completely ruin the bee balm so the hummingbirds don't / can't use them. Neem doesn't do much.

(Finally our hummingbird(s) showed up June 10, and this month visiting frequently. Felt so bad for them with the ruined bee balm and the coral honeysuckle was kind of pathetic too from mites or aphids. So they made do with other stuff--even nodding onion, and finally I think they might have used the feeder.)

o

Has anyone else had a problem with those little white worms eating their monarda flowers? I've searched the internet, and people in other forums, etc have mentioned this. But no one has identified them. They are so gross and completely ruin the bee balm so the hummingbirds don't / can't use them. Neem doesn't do much.

(Finally our hummingbird(s) showed up June 10, and this month visiting frequently. Felt so bad for them with the ruined bee balm and the coral honeysuckle was kind of pathetic too from mites or aphids. So they made do with other stuff--even nodding onion, and finally I think they might have used the feeder.)

o

Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 10:41

I found a few links that say it might be Pyrausta signatalis-monarda/horsemint caterpillar.

Monarda Buds with Catapillars

Bee Balm larvae help needed

They talk about handpicking and wasps and dish soap sprays and Bt.

A recent thread on the Perennials Forum is What's up with my monarda?

You might get some answers if you post on the Garden Clinic Forum.

Claire

o

Thanks Claire,
I had acutally seen those links and I think it's not the horsemint caterpillar which according to my caterpillar book, only feeds on leaves.

But I did some more looking, and I think perhaps it's something like the tobacco bud worm. I don't want to use Bt because I think it could harm the good (butterfly) caterpillars in the garden. I guess I'll keep handpicking, cutting back the monarda, and hope they won't be a permanent plague. I think they got to the few petunias too.

o

two weeks ago i saw a lot of hummingbirds but i see one or two thats all. Did they start going south allready?

o

two weeks ago i saw a lot of hummingbirds but i see one or two thats all. Did they start going south allready?

o

Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 16:53

Yep, this is prime migration time. According to hummingbirds.net in the Migration Basics section:

"Some adult males start migrating south as early as mid-July, but the peak of southward migration for this species is late August and early September. By mid-September, essentially all of the Ruby-throated at feeders are migrating through from farther north, and not the same individuals seen in the summer."

You still should keep your feeder filled for a while - there may be some late migrants coming through your yard and they'll be really hungry.

Claire

o

The hummers around my porch now are skittish strangers. They must be Canadian birds on their way through.

o

Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:03

Had a stranger here today and he fed at the feeder. It was not Buddy. Behavior was different, landed on different branches. Buddy's routine is the same each year. I'll keep changing the water for another month. Never thought about the Canadians. Wonder if he speaks French? I'll ask tomorrow.

o

Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 8:41

I was wrong. Buddy is still here as of this morning.
Jane

o

should i make and more hummingbird food.?There has not been any hummingbirds 3 days. when should i take down my feeders?

o

Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 9:41

Keep at least one feeder up until the end of September. If you haven't seen any hummingbirds for a few weeks at the end of September you can probably stop. I'm still seeing hummers here now and they act like migrants (examining the feeders as if they're different from what they're used to).

Three days is not a long time.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here