Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Sweet Corn To Plant In Boston Area?

Posted by easycity none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 16:44

Last year I harvested some corns growing in my backyard garden. The seed is Burpee's Sweet Corn, Early and Often Hybrid. The corn grew very well, but the taste is too flat, not sweet at all.
This year I would like to grow more sweet corns, hopefully with better and sweeter taste. I want to try several varieties, some early and some late.
Can experts here recommend corn seed that I can buy from local stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Mahoney's nursery, or Christmas Tree Store?
I also need help on when to plant the seed (after May 15?), when to harvest (2 weeks after silk?), and whether it needs fertilizer.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Sweet Corn To Plant In Boston Area?

You may have better luck asking on the Vegetable Gardening forum.

o

I feel that better quality seeds can be had from a catalogue rather than a store. When growing different varieties of corn it is important to know which types cannot be grown in close proximity. A good tutorial on this subject can be found in the Johnnys catalogue, the use of which would be appropriate to your location as they are in Albion, Maine.

It is also good practise not to grow corn in the same place year after year. Hope you have room to rotate your crop.

o

According to the Burpee website, you chose a sugar enhanced variety so I am surprised it wasn't sweet. I'm a fan of Johnny's Seeds which has a website comparison of sugary enhanced corn varieties which shows comments on flavors. That's why I like a seed source like Johnny's which gives more information.
We don't grow corn anymore because the raccoons always knew it was ready the night before we did. I buy from local farmstands. But whenever flavor doesn't seem good enough, I suspect not enough fertility. Agway farm and feed stores have a great selection of seeds from several companies. Do you have one in your area?

Here is a link that might be useful: corn comparison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here