Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Hummingbird Spring Migration 2014

The little sticky note in my calendar says to check in late February - I just did and the hummers are already in Florida! Six sightings, the first on February 21! This is about the same time as last year. I realize it will take a long long time for the hummers to get to New England but it's a pleasure to know they're on the way.

These maps should automatically update so anyone who is interested can watch the progress (and get the feeder out of the cellar and find the nectar recipe when the sightings are getting close to you). To see the maps larger, click on the Spring 2014 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds link.

The maps are linked to, and produced by, the hummingbirds.net website where there's lots of useful and interesting information about the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 19:44

Comments (142)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw my first female hummer of the season today!

I also saw several hummers zipping around near the feeder, too fast for me to identify them. I don't know if this was the male checking out the female or two males being territorial. Maybe it's time to put the second feeder up.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jane: You posted while I was preparing my post so I didn't see it until I submitted.

That's a great link with the history of the female hummingbirds. The nest construction is fascinating.

Claire

Original Author
    9 years ago

I put up the second hummingbird feeder on the deck on the other side of the house and the female visited it while I was sitting there, maybe half an hour ago. She must have been here last year because she didn't seem afraid of me.

She just came again!

Claire

• silvergirl426_gw
    9 years ago

They're back in the Litchfield Hills too! The first one came on Friday -- I was gone,but on Sunday there were the two of them zipping around the feeder above the ajuga. I have my two feeders up -- one is nearer the big honeysuckle bush behind the stone fence where they always make their nest. Now I can really say I'm ready for the spring/summer gardening season. I feel so loved that they return to my yard the second week of May every spring. And I love them in return.
    lucia

Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Lucia! Let the summer begin! (if we can just get this "Spring" back on track).

Claire

• j.bush
    9 years ago

Are the females having there babies yet.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's probably a little early, depending on when the females arrived in your yard. They have to build the nest first which takes a while, then they'll start laying eggs.

From hummingbirds.net

"Where did my hummers go?

You watched the migration maps and hung your feeder in time to attract the first migrants. You kept the feeder clean and the syrup fresh, and were rewarded by lots of visits from migrants, then the activity settled down to regular appearances by the resident birds. Pretty cool hobby, eh? Then, perhaps in early May (depending on your latitude)...

NO MORE HUMMERS! Where'd they all go? This didn't happen last year! Or did it?

Welcome to the nesting season, folks. I'll discuss Ruby-throats in particular, but similar principles probably apply to most other species. Shortly after arriving, the females establish a nesting territory. Ruby-throats prefer secluded wetlands for nesting, if available, and proximity to your feeder is not an issue; in fact, females don't like to build nests in a male's feeding territory, and your feeder is probably part of one. Visits to distant feeders take too much time away from the eggs. When the chicks hatch, they need protein to grow, not sugar, so their mother spends most of her time catching small insects and spiders for them.

During this period, I personally still see a male or two at my feeders, but typically only early or late in the day. I suspect that once their breeding duties are over, males tend to abandon territories and forage more widely to fatten up for migration.

After the chicks fledge (leave the nest), expect the number of hummers at your feeder to be double what it was before the "disappearance." As summer progresses, there will be fewer natural hummingbird food sources available in many parts of the continent; feeders can have a real positive impact on the number of birds that survive, especially in the dry Midwestern U.S., so please keep them clean and fresh.

And keep notes on your tiny visitors, if you like, so you can verify for yourself that this is a normal, annual process."

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, May 24, 14 at 9:34

• skippyz71
    9 years ago

Claire - to answer your question from earlier there were males and females all at once. It was almost as if there was a feeding frenzy going on for a little while. Sometimes they weren't bothered by each other, other times chasing each other all over the place like the one I got a close up off was chased into the bush by another. The activity has slowed a lot since this past weekend.

Corunum - it was a Samsung S3 cellphone. Took about 7 pictures as I got closer. Luckily the one I posted earlier came out perfectly focused.

• skippyz71
    9 years ago

Claire - to answer your question from earlier there were males and females all at once. It was almost as if there was a feeding frenzy going on for a little while. Sometimes they weren't bothered by each other, other times chasing each other all over the place like the one I got a close up off was chased into the bush by another. The activity has slowed a lot since this past weekend.

Corunum - it was a Samsung S3 cellphone. Took about 7 pictures as I got closer. Luckily the one I posted earlier came out perfectly focused.

{{!gwi}}

• j.bush
    9 years ago

were did all the hummingbirds go?

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

J.bush - reread the post from Claire when she answered your question about the females. It's just 3 posts back.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We are now seeing hummers. I spotted my first one a few days ago (the columbine are now blooming, a favorite of the hummers) and my MIL rescued one about a week and a half ago which had hit the window. She set it in the shade on the picnic table and placed the feeder right next to it. It stayed a while and did some sipping from the feeder and then took off. Since then she has seen more visitors at her feeder which is now hanging up.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations, nhbabs, to you and to your MIL who carried out a nice rescue operation!

I'm not seeing much in the way of hummers now, just an occasional male, so I assume the females are nesting and the males are busy elsewhere. Lots of nectar plants blooming now and insects everywhere so the birds are not so dependent on the sugar solution in the feeders.

They should be back when the new generation fledges.

Claire

• j.bush
    9 years ago

I was seeing a lot of hummingbirds in July and the first two weeks of Aug. But now the numbers are droping. Are they starting to go back yet?

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Yes, we're starting to see hummers here in our yard in SC, and I'm expecting that some will hang out hereabouts until the weather gets cool.

I think some hummers overwinter here- I saw two in our yard on New Year's Day checking out the camellias.

Virginia

Original Author
    9 years ago

It's nice to know, Virginia, that there's someone to welcome our hummers on their long trip south!

I'm still seeing hummers at my feeders here in Plymouth, MA, but some of them seem suspicious of me sitting on the deck so I may be seeing migrants passing through from farther north.

I just noticed the level of solution in the feeder on the deck railing is way low again - I think a raccoon comes some nights and tilts the feeder to drink the solution. It was full yesterday.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Enjoy my little hummers too, Virginia! They're a feisty and entertaining bunch, and on their way to you!

The hummingbirds here now are flighty and easily frightened, so I assume they are northern birds on their way down from Canada.

• tkln
    9 years ago

I finally got a hummingbird feeder this summer and we had it placed somewhere I couldn't really see it - just moved it a few weeks ago and now have been seeing tons of them. I'm guessing they've started moving south to us from Canada and will continue on...they are so fascinating!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

We had a lot of hummingbirds this year. Normally we only see a couple females and one male throughout the season and even then they're not around too often. This summer they were all over. And what a show they have been putting on. They're feisty little devils and have been really tormenting all the other small birds on a regular basis, chasing them around and around and not giving up! We put out an oriole feeder early in the season, and luckily since we didn't get any orioles, the hummers have been enjoying it. Ours are not skittish at all yet. They barely fly away when we come outside and very frequently while I'm working in the garden they'll hang out in the same border with me and we chat. We really have enjoyed them so much this year!

• daffodil33
    9 years ago

I wish I had them in the yard. I did see one however by the river, humming around a swath of lobelia cardinallis. He was just about 2 ft from me, wish I had my camera handy.

• j.bush
    9 years ago

I am only seeing one or two hummingbirds a day. I have three feeders up. There are two feeders on my back deck and one hanging over the pic window. Should I leave all of them up or take one or two down?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Definitely leave one up for the stragglers, but it's really up to you as to how many to keep up with frequent refilling. I like to have two feeders available when there's more than one hummer around so there isn't a battle over one. When I only see one per day or less, then I usually take one down (the one on the deck) and leave the one by the window that's easy for me to see and probably also easier for a migrating bird to notice.

As it gets cooler you won't have to refill as often but it's really important to keep clean solution in the feeder as long as it's there. When you don't see hummers sometimes you (and I) forget to refill.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

I think my hummers have been gone for some time now, but I filled the feeder today for a last time just in case.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

There is still one male, Buddy, and I think his wife and or daughters - 2 females here. Here's one this morning seemingly embracing last night's rain.
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

A couple of photos taken last week. Our friends are still around today, but I couldnâÂÂt tell you if they are summer residents or transients. Best I can do is differentiate between male and female! We have had a small group this year, but there seemed to be a few enjoying the bee balm when the 2nd pic was taken.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely photos, Jane and homegrowninthe603. I particularly like the hummer dancing over the bee balm.

I feel a bout of nostalgia coming on as I contemplate a soon-to-be-empty feeder. This hummer today seemed to be basking in the late summer sun - enjoying a relaxed day before heading south on the almost incomprehensible migration flight.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Nice photos of your hummingbirds, Homegrown! The bee balm photo makes me think I should add some red bee balm to my existing purple. I wonder if the hummers ever visit my purple monarda. I've never seen them, but by all accounts and your pictures, they are said to like these flowers.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Thank you Claire and Spedigrees, I have a purple bee balm that's been around for many years and the hummingbirds do enjoy it. This year I added "Raspberry Wine" and they have taken to it. It's in a better spot for photo ops, thus the pic. There were several around when this was taken. Last year, I think they left us around Labor Day, but we are still seeing them around today. Susan

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

This hummer - and many other happy hummers - were in the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens last Tuesday, Sept. 2nd. Have to write a note to remember to plant honeysuckle again and I like those purple and wine monardas, homegrown. My Jacob Cline was not happy this year. Making more hummer notes.
    Jane

P.S. The hummers are still north of us - do not take your feeders down.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice heads-up, Jane, reminding us that there are still hummers lolling around to the north that will need sustenance when they get around to heading south.

The Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens must be a wonderful way station for them (as well as a wonderful place for people to visit).

I still have hummers at my two feeders, probably mostly migrants since they seem a little unfamiliar with the setup.

Claire

edit note: A hummer just buzzed over and stared at me (I'm sitting on the deck), hovering almost in my face.

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 18:35

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I'm in NE Ohio and I haven't seen one in a couple weeks! BOOHOO! :(

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Another lovely picture Jane! We haven't seen any since last Tuesday, but I will fill one feeder again just in case.

Susan

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

We still have them here in the Manchester area. Love the last round of photos.

• nekobus
    9 years ago

Great shot, Jane. I can't wait to visit that garden.

Our two female hummingbirds in eastern MA are still feeding (and fighting) in the garden, which makes me happy.

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

Same here nekobus. I've got a hummingbird that continues to feed on my scarlet runner beans, and then stares at me through the window once he's had his fill.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

A lady traveler here today!
    Jane

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Nice. We haven't seen one for 2 weeks so I'm thinking about taking the feeder down.

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Like this little one here today, more may come from the northern areas. Do what you have to, but I leave mine up till the end of Sept. Not hurting anything to leave it in place.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I wasn't home that much today and didn't see my girls at the feeder or in the garden. Hoping to see them tomorrow, but perhaps they have moved on. We had such a fun time with the hummingbirds this year.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still seeing one or two hummers every day so I've kept both feeders up. They seem to arrive in late afternoon and then I see one or two again in the morning. I'm assuming these are all migrants now.

I was staked out with my camera at the window watching one feeder today after two of them were buzzing around, but the hummers kept flying up to the rugosa rose flowers. At first I thought they were going for insects (I regularly see bees on the rugosas) but I googled and it turns out that rugosa roses have nectar, unlike most roses. This was a shock to me - I had no idea that rugosas are hummingbird plants. Luckily my big old Yankee Lady rugosa blooms sporadically into the fall so I've been inadvertently feeding the hummingbirds.

One of the feeders is conveniently right by the rugosa so the hummers can snack while they're guarding the feeder.

Claire

• j.bush
    9 years ago

I was seeing hummingbirds on sept 15 in the morning but i been away. So how long should i leave my feeder up. I don't see any this thurday in the morning.

• j.bush
    9 years ago

I keep the one feeder up I just some at the feeder this mornings. They are still around. They usually leave my yard at September 15.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I would keep the feeder up until the end of September in case there are still late migrants coming through.

Two hummingbirds seen again this morning. I wonder if the same two have been here for a couple of days fueling up. This one looks nice and plump.

Claire

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I seem to be missing my guard hummingbird as of today.

Original Author
    9 years ago

dbarron: What type of hummingbirds do you get in Oklahoma? We have primarily Ruby-throats here in New England, although some people have reported Rufous Hummingbirds.

Claire

• j.bush
    9 years ago

Still seeing hummingbird today. They been here at 7 then back 10 this morning.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Had a female show up briefly yesterday morning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Two days now without a hummer. They had been showing up one or two every day and even three on one day a week ago. I'll still keep at least one feeder up but it looks like the coastal crew has mostly passed through.

Claire (sigh)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sept. 27: A juvenile male hummingbird stopped by! This is the feeder on my deck. I was sitting out there and the hummer was OK with me being there but got spooked when I pulled out the camera so I didn't get a good shot of the whole head and throat. You can see the mottled gorget. Typical teenager - waited to the last minute before migrating.

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

No visitors to my feeders for a month (that I know of), so I have taken them down. This thread is very informative, however, so I will be putting them up earlier next spring based on the sightings!

Susan