Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2014

Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 17:31

The little sticky note in my calendar says to check in late February - I just did and the hummers are already in Florida! Six sightings, the first on February 21! This is about the same time as last year. I realize it will take a long long time for the hummers to get to New England but it's a pleasure to know they're on the way.

These maps should automatically update so anyone who is interested can watch the progress (and get the feeder out of the cellar and find the nectar recipe when the sightings are getting close to you). To see the maps larger, click on the Spring 2014 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds link.

The maps are linked to, and produced by, the hummingbirds.net website where there's lots of useful and interesting information about the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 19:44

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird Spring Migration 2014

Ooooh, how nice! Between the dripping maple sap and the hummingbird map, I know spring is on its way, despite all the snow still around.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:04

There's a sighting today, Sunday, March 9, in Georgia! It's the beginning of the journey north on the East Coast (we'll ignore those hummers spreading out along the Gulf Coast to Texas).

Claire

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:14

I do believe a hummer was seen today in South Carolina. Granted, it's the southernmost tip of South Carolina but it's not Georgia. It looks like it's around Hilton Head Island.

For a history of the area see Wikipedia.

The migration continues.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:16

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 16:46

I'm guessing they have another 2 months before landing here. May have to hang a heat lamp over the feeder this year. sigh...

Tell me again why we're here and not there?

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 20:10

Well, someone has to be here to greet the hummingbirds when they arrive exhausted and famished - and New England summers are easier to live with than southern summers.

Claire (grasping at straws after looking at the Hilton Head sites)

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 17:21

Two days ago on March 16 there were two sightings in North Carolina on the coastal plain. The hummers were just short of some dramatic coastline and beaches - maybe they're there already today.

Claire

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 17:49

Wow. That's faster than last year - as far as I can tell on the 2013 map. For a spring that is forecast to be long, cold and wet, seems as though those sightings in NC are early. Could there be food enough already in those areas that have had such cold? Just wondering aloud. Jane

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:13

I checked eBird and the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are also moving up the coast. Lots in South Carolina but also some farther north along the NC coast. Hummingbirds follow the sapsuckers and drink the sap from the holes that the sapsuckers drill. The sap composition is very similar to flower nectar so they can get a good meal before the flowers bloom.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 9:44

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 20:27

Now that is simply amazing. I did not know that, thanks.
Jane

o

Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 16:45

It's getting crowded there in the southern end of the NC coast. The winds are forecast to be favorable for hummer flight today so maybe they'll start moving north again.

Wind map from Wunderground.com

Claire

o

Egads! Have the hummers heard about the possible nor'easter for next week? The track is not specific yet, I don't believe.

Molie

o

Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 20:21

Wunderground.com is talking about a track up the coast but don't know yet how close to shore.

East Coast Winter Storm Next Week?

Hopefully the hummers will stay far enough south so they'll just get rain and some wind in their little faces.

Stay put, hummers!

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 15:34

o

Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 13:48

Well, they didn't listen to me (they never do) - there was a sighting today near, or in, the Cape Lookout National Seashore in North Carolina.

Claire

o

Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:54

Since nothing has been happening in the mid-Atlantic for an unconscionably long time, I thought I'd post some screen shots of hummingbird.net that I took on April 1, 2010.

The Ivory-billed Hummingbird is migrating!
"Little is known about the elusive Ivory-billed Hummingbird, which hibernates for 364 days, then appears on April 1 each year."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Claire

o

Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 13:20

Isn't the same guy from last year? I sent him your way! He should be there by tea time.

o

Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 17:56

Cute little fella! The sun is sinking though, and I fear the Ivory-bills are going to fade away.....until next year.

Claire

o

Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 16:19

Finally some progress! Yesterday, April 1, a hummer was seen just north of Cape Hatteras in North Carolina, and today another hummer (or maybe the same one with a fierce tail wind) was seen close to Baltimore in Maryland.

Hopefully it will know to pronounce the name of the city "Bawlmer" or "Bawl-ah-mur" as the native hummers do. But I hope it doesn't stay there too long, we need hummingbirds here in New England.

Claire

o

When do they usually reach Massachusetts? What flowers can I plant that will be in bloom about then?

o

Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 10:16

hummingbird.net has an archive of previous years' migration data; this is the 2013 Migration Map. Usually they appear in Massachusetts in mid to late April depending on where you are. They come late to the coast; I usually see the first male in the last week in April, and the first female a week or ten days later.

That site also has a page on Attracting Hummingbirdsthat gives a list of plants, but most of these will not be in bloom that early.

pixie_lou's "Show us your gardens" thread give an idea of what's in bloom in April 2013, part 1 and April 2013, part 2.

What I've seen here in Plymouth on the coast is that the hummers always appear when the first azaleas start blooming. The wild honeysuckles bloom at about the same time and also the Pieris japonica. The hummers feed on all of these.

Bleeding hearts (Dicentra) and columbines (Aquilegia) come into bloom around then too.

Others here probably have more suggestions.

The most important thing is to have your feeder up and filled a week or two before you expect the hummingbirds to arrive! They're too hungry to wait around if there's not much else in your yard for them to eat right now, and they'll move on to a better area.

Claire (who will probably have a feeder up by Tax Day just in case)

This post was edited by claire on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 10:22

o

My earliest plants that the hummingbirds like are native columbine/Aquilegia canadensis, Lupine, and coral bells/Heuchera (mine is an old-fashioned red-flowered variety.) I also plant out Salvia 'Black and Blue' as soon as danger of frost is past since they like that. I don't put out a feeder as we have bears, but I get hummingbirds every summer regardless.

o

Another "vote" for bleeding hearts -- that's almost all that's in bloom in my garden when they arrive in northwest-central Connecticut, and I've watched them making their way along a bleeding heart stem, punching at each little hanging "heart." I do plant salvia (Black and Blue in particular but others as well), but those aren't even available in my nursery yet when the little guys first arrive.

o

Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 17:02

As nhbabs says, bears can be a problem with birdfeeders, so if you have bears, then you might forget the advice to put the feeder up soon. If you don't have bears, and you don't have extensive plantings, then a hummingbird feeder will help ensure that the hummers stay around where you can see them.

In my yard hummers love phlox and hosta flowers, although these bloom later on.

Claire (who doesn't have bears)

o

Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 10:09

Hummingbird(s) spotted on the Delaware Coast!

Getting closer to New England.

Claire

o

Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:31

And today a sighting in Eastern Pennsylvania! It looks to be around Philadelphia, just a short flight from New Jersey.

Of course, this could be one of the hummers who head up the Hudson instead of moving on into New England. Only time will tell.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 17:40

o

Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 17:39

They're closing in on New Jersey. One hummer around Atlantic City, N.J. coming up the coast, and another just across the river (Delaware River I think) from Trenton. Maybe it's reenacting the crossing of the Delaware by George Washington. Or maybe not, I'm not sure if hummingbirds care all that much about history.

Claire

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:39

Hmmm.... the hummers in Pennsylvania seem to be heading up the Delaware River rather than heading to New England. These hummingbirds may be from the Canadian community.

Claire

edit note: I hope no one thinks I have any particular knowledge about what I'm saying - this is all speculation along with a little exploration of geography, while waiting for my hummers to come home.

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 11:43

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 15:48

WHAT ?? no particular knowledge? Well, there's another bubble burst. Have to wonder how they know to veer a little left in Delaware. If distinctive behaviour is telltale, then Buddy is the same hummer here for the past few years. We'll see this year - usually by May 10th. Wonder how many hummers actually achieve a 12 year life span? So few answers.
Jane

o

thanks.
this is a cool thread to follow, altho I have no feeders up.

o

Hmmm - according to the map, a hummer was sighted on Cape Ann yesterday. The pessimist in me is doubting it. Though it's really the jealousy.

I did move the feeders this week. I still don't plan to put the hummingbird feeder out until 1 May.

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 17:48

Jane said: " Have to wonder how they know to veer a little left in Delaware." Good memories plus copious notes and awareness of magnetic fields (this worked last year so I'll try it again...).

ellenr: Hummingbird migration is definitely cool. Referring to the state maps makes me wonder about the effect of the Appalachian Mountains (don't fly over, fly around) and how the rivers provide a nice flat thoroughfare that may be a little warmer than the surrounding uplands. Speculation again.

pixie_lou: I was replying to the other posts when you posted, and then I looked at the map again. Several new sightings just appeared, dated 4/12, one in SW Connecticut near the Hudson and ONE ON THE NORTH SHORE OF MA! (pixie_lou said Cape Ann, and that's reasonable)

I never see hummers until they've already reached Canada so I'm not panicking, but I can get a feeder up and filled in five minutes. The hummer feeder is halfway up from the cellar, I have concentrated sugar solution in the refrigerator, and I've set up the oriole feeder with suet so it's ready when the orioles show up (they usually appear here within a few days after the hummers)

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:26

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:50

Now there's one sighted today on Cape Cod! It looks like around Orleans where the Birdwatcher's General Store offers all sorts of birding advice as well as merchandise.

I think my feeder will go up tomorrow, even though I don't expect hummers for another few weeks when the azaleas start blooming. On second thought, I'll wait until Wednesday after the rain stops. I don't want the nectar diluted so I have to replace it the next day.

Claire

o

I live here in ct and now we are are in April. When should I put out my hummingbird feeder. The two years they been coming May 8

o

J.bush - Before May 8th! I would put it up 1-2 weeks ahead do time.

o

thank you. I will put up the hummingbird feeder this Friday because its going down in the 30 the next 3 days.

o

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum and to hummingbirds. I just figured out over the winter that I've been putting my feeder out way too late. When I found this a week or so ago, and read that they were close to MA, I got my feeder out and put it on the back porch. How close is too close to the house? Second floor, hanging in mid-air from an abandoned clothesline. It's about 4 ft away from the window. I'm actually about 8-10 miles N of Boston on the North Shore.
Lynn T

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:43

Lynn T: hummingbirds.net has a secton on Hummingbird feeders and they say:

"Location, Location, Location
Where to hang your feeder? A new one may be found sooner if hung over or near a garden of hummingbird plants. My feeders are near windows, where I can watch and enjoy them: one is in a living room window, another outside the kitchen, and a third hangs a foot or so from my office window."

Your feeder should be fine, although I don't know if there's a problem with hummingbirds finding a feeder on the second floor. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

I did find a thread on the GW Hummingbird Garden Forum where people talk about hummers going up to the fourth floor and higher. I guess if you think about tall trees the second floor doesn't seem so unreasonable to a hummingbird.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:45

o

Has anyone in CT seen any hummingbirds yet this year? I do not have my feeder out yet but i will have it out Friday. It is going to be cold the next two night so i do not want the feeder to frezze.

o

Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 10:10

Sightings in MA near Worcester and New Bedford. I don't expect any hummer here in Plymouth for another week or 10 days, but I don't want to worry about it so I put a feeder up yesterday (and took it inside last night so it wouldn't freeze). It went back out this morning.

I did see an early rhododendron in bloom in inland Plymouth yesterday, but none in my neighborhood. That's a marker for me.

The hummers always appear in Canada before I see them, which annoys me each year.

Claire

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:08

Multiple sightings now in southern New England (CT, RI, and MA). Nothing yet in northern New England (ME, NH, and VT) or in Canada.

That doesn't mean they're in your particular area, just that someone has reported one somewhere along the way. These may be migrating males heading farther north and they stopped at a popular way station.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:09

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 13:05

There are sightings now in Ontario, Canada. At least they're not in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia or Quebec before they're in Plymouth, MA.

My feeder is up and waiting. Soon.

Claire

o

I put out my hummingbird feeder! I'm ready!

o

Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 15:16

Good move, vermontgirl! Doesn't it feel good not to have to worry about a hungry hummer appearing and find nothing to eat?

Claire (who had a plumber visit a few days ago and mention he didn't have his hummingbird feeder up yet. I nudged him a bit, politely)

o

Hummingbird was seen in old Lyme ct today. My feed went up on Good Friday. But I have seen only yet.

o

Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 15:57

Congratulations, j.bush! I assume you're the person in Old Lyme who saw the hummer. It's always a relief when someone on the forum actually sees a hummingbird.

Claire

o

No I saw it online. WWW. Learner .org/jnorth. I Colchester ct no hummingbirds yet

o

Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:49

That's a disappointment. Sooner or later they have to show up, they always do.

Claire

o

Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 14:06

Well, a hummer was seen today in New Brunswick, Canada - it looks like it's somewhere along the Saint John River Valley.

I always feel a bit snubbed when the hummers flit past Plymouth, MA and head for the Canadian Maritime Provinces.

Any day now, but no azaleas or rhododendrons blooming here. I am seeing PJM rhodies blooming a few miles inland so the hummers have a trail to follow if they're so inclined.

A cowbird just landed on the hook holding the hummer feeder.

Claire (sighing)

o

Two people in Colchester spotted hummingbirds this Saturday and Sunday. I just got back from the Cape hopefully I'll see one soon

o

I have my feeder up for two weeks but no hummingbirds. Two people in colchester have alreay have seen tthem. Why haven't i seen any?

o

J.bush - you said earlier in the thread that the hummers have appeared at your house on May 8th the past 2 years. So you most likely won't see them for another week to 10 days. We all wish that the hummers would appear as soon as we put the feeders up. But the hummers have there set routes and time frames.

o

ok wait for may 8. But mean while maybe I see one.

o

I saw a male here at 6:30pm. They come early this year for me. Saw the hummingbird four times today at my feeder

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 19:48

Woo-hoo! He must have been hungry after the long trip to your yard. Keep the feeder filled!

You're the first member of the forum to report seeing a hummingbird this season, j.bush. Congratulations!

The rest of us keep waiting.

Claire (sighing)

o

I have well water for nector I always boil it. Do you have to boil well water?

o

Fri, May 2, 14 at 8:57

If you boil it to make it safe for humans to drink, then you should probably boil it for the hummingbirds as well. It depends on how safe your well water is. Have you had it tested for contamination?

Claire

o

Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:04

And here's my first hummingbird of 2014! I saw him at about 5:45 PM, but he may have been here earlier. The orioles showed up today too.
First Male Hummingbird1R 5:2:14

First Male Hummingbird2 5:2:14

Claire

Edit note: I just added another picture when he came back.

This post was edited by claire on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:06

o

We just spotted one at our feeder, must be a hungry little thing because he's been by every few minutes.

o

Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:08

Congratulations, singleton165! Same here, he keeps coming back for more sips. It's hard work migrating.

Claire

o

Two hummingbirds in New England! I haven't seen any yet, but I think it will be a few more weeks until we see them.

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 10:20

I haven't seen him again today - he may have been a transient stopping by for dinner and a bed and early breakfast before moving on to NH or wherever he summers. That's fine with me, I'm happy to give the buzz-bird a good meal and send him along his way.

I don't usually see hummers regularly until the females show up a week or ten days after the males.

Claire

o

I have been lots of hummingbirds and some wear females. They been very hungry sense the first day I spotted them.

o

Our little guy was back mid morning...I wonder if he's sticking around or just filling up for his trek northward.

"I don't usually see hummers regularly until the females show up a week or ten days after the males."

Good to know, Claire. This is my first season getting serious about putting the feeders out. We didn't see them regularly until the end of summer last year, but then again that's probably when I put the feeders out. :)

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 13:34

I saw another male in the early afternoon today, but I don't know if it's the same one as yesterday.
Hummingbird1 5:3:13

The hummingbirds will probably disappear for a while when they start nesting. They feed the babies insects and don't much visit the feeders then. This is always worrisome but they come back when the babies fledge.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:52

o

Just this minute was coming around the side of the house and saw the first one at the feeder this season! Halifax ma.

o

Just this minute was coming around the side of the house and saw the first one at the feeder this season! Halifax ma.

o

Just came back and after drinking is now hanging out in bush 4 ft from me out side window.

o

Just came back and after drinking is now hanging out in bush 4 ft from me out side window.

o

In middle of bush

o

Closer up. Making fresh batch of food now to put out tomorrow.

o

o

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 20:18

Congratulations, skippyz71! The little buzzers really get to you, don't they. Mine is still sticking around and I keep looking out the window to see if he's there.

Claire

o

I just put out a feeder yesterday (Sat) and had a visitor within a few hours - I'm in the Hudson Valley of New York

o

Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:21

Well done, Valerie427! Often the hummingbirds are around in your neighborhood but they have no incentive to pop into view until they see a feeder.

That happened next door a number of years ago. My sister-in-law put out a feeder and we wondered how long it would take for a hummingbird to appear, if there were any there at all. It took about 20 minutes.

Claire

o

Hummer here this morning at feeder. Not sure if it's Buddy, we'll see.
Jane

o

Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:48

Congratulations, Jane! The hummers are really getting serious now about showing up in actual yards, instead of making cameo appearances on hummingbird.net. (I don't mean to disparage hummingbird.net, it's a fantastic resource, but the sightings always seem a little mythical until someone on the forums see them).

Claire

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 10:52

Confirmed sighting this morning - I'll have to be faster.
Jane

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 14:22

It almost looks like a Ruby-throated Bumblebee, Jane.

I saw a hummer again this morning and I noticed for the first time he was hovering above the feeder to sip, even though there's perches for him to rest on. He just bounced up and down as if he had limitless energy, rather than sitting and trying to refuel the empty tank. It was good to see.

Claire

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 15:09

I think it's Buddy. He is staying, flying in every few minutes after cruising through the flowering pear, plum, quinces. I planted 14 sweet flowering ornamental trees which are now blooming or beginning to. Serviceberry is a big draw as well as thundercloud plum. Kwanzan cherry and Eastern red bud now in bud form.

Jane - every male hummer will always be 'Buddy', but I think it's the same guy.

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 15:48

Sure looks like Buddy to me! It sounds like you planted a banquet for him.

Claire

o

Mine are here too in Athol,Ma. 1st time I saw him was Monday the 5th, early evening . Then Tuesday and yesterday. The past few years they came on May 8th. I tried to capture a picture but every time I waited for him it was like forever, I would turn my back for a few second to go in the house, and their he was sitting on the perch drinking. My hands and camera where not fast enough. I will try to get a picture to post it up. Boy did I miss these little buggers!!! Welcome back.

o

Thu, May 8, 14 at 15:45

Welcome back, indeed, dawngirl! There's always a little hole in the yard when the hummers are gone.

Claire

o

Has anyone had a squirrel get addicted to the sugar water? Had one that started last year. Caught him hanging from hook with back feet and pushing feeder with front feet to tip it sideways to drink fluid coming out. Started last year now he's back. Find feeder knocked off on ground every couple days. LOL. Sugar high squirrel!

o

Has anyone had a squirrel get addicted to the sugar water? Had one that started last year. Caught him hanging from hook with back feet and pushing feeder with front feet to tip it sideways to drink fluid coming out. Started last year now he's back. Find feeder knocked off on ground every couple days. LOL. Sugar high squirrel!

o

Thu, May 8, 14 at 20:30

That's hilarious, skippyz71! Maybe you should put a squirrel baffle on top of the hummer feeder (or on the pole). That's not why I did this, and I know those are orioles, not squirrels, but I took this photo today and it's the easiest pic to access right now after dark.

FYI: 1. The black metal baffle is on the pole because I use the pole for a suet feeder in the winter and squirrels love suet.

2. The clear plastic baffle on top is partly to keep rain from diluting the nectar, but mostly because I can easily attach the hummer feeder to the little hook under the clear baffle, but I have to tilt the feeder to get it onto the big hook on top.

Claire

o

Just saw my first hummingbird! My dad and I were sitting out on my patio for about an hour this afternoon. I was telling him that I haven't seen a hummer yet this year. As soon as we went inside, as I was closing the back door I saw hummy zip up to the feeder and take a couple sips! Obviously he didn't wait for me to grab my camera (He probably knows there is a 30x or 50x zoom camera all wrapped up for me for mothers day tomorrow! So he'll come back and pose tomorrow!)

o

• Posted by flo9 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 10, 14 at 19:09

One of mine ( I believe ) returned from last year a couple weeks ago. It flew up to me. I went straight to store to buy a brand new feeder since I threw the old one away last winter. 2 species I've noticed coming over last year.

o

Sat, May 10, 14 at 19:43

Happy Hummer Home-coming, pixie_lou and flo9!

pixie_lou: You definitely deserve a new camera to record (and post) pics of all the wildlife in your yard.

flo9: I can easily imagine your hummer demanding a new feeder - they have good memories and remember where food is. What was the other species that returned?

Claire

o

As I'm taking this picture with my cell phone from about a ft away in the bush next to the feeder real slowly I hear this intense "humming" right behind my head and can feal the breeze from it on the back of my neck. My wife from the window says there's two more right behind me with one going to the feeder! Wow. The reason I snuck up on the bush is that noticed 3 or 4 coming at the same time and this one took a rest.

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:21

One foot away? You lucky duck! Wonderful shot and I'm glad you have even more hummers. Keep shooting. What kind of cell phone?
Jane

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:38

Great picture, skippyz71! I've been buzzed twice this season also - once when I was close to the feeder. I don't know if it was a warning or if the hummer was amused by it.

I'm amazed that you saw three or four hummers at one time. Do you know if any of these are females? Maybe there's some pairing activity going on.

Claire

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 11:37

Someone sent this article to me - just passing it along.

Here is a link that might be useful: BirdsandBlooms, Female Hummingbirds

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:17

I saw my first female hummer of the season today!

First female Hummingbird 5:12:14

I also saw several hummers zipping around near the feeder, too fast for me to identify them. I don't know if this was the male checking out the female or two males being territorial. Maybe it's time to put the second feeder up.

Claire

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:25

Jane: You posted while I was preparing my post so I didn't see it until I submitted.

That's a great link with the history of the female hummingbirds. The nest construction is fascinating.

Claire

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 18:07

I put up the second hummingbird feeder on the deck on the other side of the house and the female visited it while I was sitting there, maybe half an hour ago. She must have been here last year because she didn't seem afraid of me.

She just came again!

Claire

o

They're back in the Litchfield Hills too! The first one came on Friday -- I was gone,but on Sunday there were the two of them zipping around the feeder above the ajuga. I have my two feeders up -- one is nearer the big honeysuckle bush behind the stone fence where they always make their nest. Now I can really say I'm ready for the spring/summer gardening season. I feel so loved that they return to my yard the second week of May every spring. And I love them in return.
lucia

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 18:02

Congratulations, Lucia! Let the summer begin! (if we can just get this "Spring" back on track).

Claire

o

Are the females having there babies yet.

o

Fri, May 16, 14 at 10:00

It's probably a little early, depending on when the females arrived in your yard. They have to build the nest first which takes a while, then they'll start laying eggs.

From hummingbirds.net

"Where did my hummers go?

You watched the migration maps and hung your feeder in time to attract the first migrants. You kept the feeder clean and the syrup fresh, and were rewarded by lots of visits from migrants, then the activity settled down to regular appearances by the resident birds. Pretty cool hobby, eh? Then, perhaps in early May (depending on your latitude)...

NO MORE HUMMERS! Where'd they all go? This didn't happen last year! Or did it?

Welcome to the nesting season, folks. I'll discuss Ruby-throats in particular, but similar principles probably apply to most other species. Shortly after arriving, the females establish a nesting territory. Ruby-throats prefer secluded wetlands for nesting, if available, and proximity to your feeder is not an issue; in fact, females don't like to build nests in a male's feeding territory, and your feeder is probably part of one. Visits to distant feeders take too much time away from the eggs. When the chicks hatch, they need protein to grow, not sugar, so their mother spends most of her time catching small insects and spiders for them.

During this period, I personally still see a male or two at my feeders, but typically only early or late in the day. I suspect that once their breeding duties are over, males tend to abandon territories and forage more widely to fatten up for migration.

After the chicks fledge (leave the nest), expect the number of hummers at your feeder to be double what it was before the "disappearance." As summer progresses, there will be fewer natural hummingbird food sources available in many parts of the continent; feeders can have a real positive impact on the number of birds that survive, especially in the dry Midwestern U.S., so please keep them clean and fresh.

And keep notes on your tiny visitors, if you like, so you can verify for yourself that this is a normal, annual process."

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, May 24, 14 at 9:34

o

Claire - to answer your question from earlier there were males and females all at once. It was almost as if there was a feeding frenzy going on for a little while. Sometimes they weren't bothered by each other, other times chasing each other all over the place like the one I got a close up off was chased into the bush by another. The activity has slowed a lot since this past weekend.

Corunum - it was a Samsung S3 cellphone. Took about 7 pictures as I got closer. Luckily the one I posted earlier came out perfectly focused.

o

Claire - to answer your question from earlier there were males and females all at once. It was almost as if there was a feeding frenzy going on for a little while. Sometimes they weren't bothered by each other, other times chasing each other all over the place like the one I got a close up off was chased into the bush by another. The activity has slowed a lot since this past weekend.

Corunum - it was a Samsung S3 cellphone. Took about 7 pictures as I got closer. Luckily the one I posted earlier came out perfectly focused.

o

were did all the hummingbirds go?

o

J.bush - reread the post from Claire when she answered your question about the females. It's just 3 posts back.

o

We are now seeing hummers. I spotted my first one a few days ago (the columbine are now blooming, a favorite of the hummers) and my MIL rescued one about a week and a half ago which had hit the window. She set it in the shade on the picnic table and placed the feeder right next to it. It stayed a while and did some sipping from the feeder and then took off. Since then she has seen more visitors at her feeder which is now hanging up.

o

Sat, May 24, 14 at 15:50

Congratulations, nhbabs, to you and to your MIL who carried out a nice rescue operation!

I'm not seeing much in the way of hummers now, just an occasional male, so I assume the females are nesting and the males are busy elsewhere. Lots of nectar plants blooming now and insects everywhere so the birds are not so dependent on the sugar solution in the feeders.

They should be back when the new generation fledges.

Claire

o

I was seeing a lot of hummingbirds in July and the first two weeks of Aug. But now the numbers are droping. Are they starting to go back yet?

o

Yes, we're starting to see hummers here in our yard in SC, and I'm expecting that some will hang out hereabouts until the weather gets cool.

I think some hummers overwinter here- I saw two in our yard on New Year's Day checking out the camellias.

Virginia

o

Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:39

It's nice to know, Virginia, that there's someone to welcome our hummers on their long trip south!

I'm still seeing hummers at my feeders here in Plymouth, MA, but some of them seem suspicious of me sitting on the deck so I may be seeing migrants passing through from farther north.

I just noticed the level of solution in the feeder on the deck railing is way low again - I think a raccoon comes some nights and tilts the feeder to drink the solution. It was full yesterday.

Claire

o

Enjoy my little hummers too, Virginia! They're a feisty and entertaining bunch, and on their way to you!

The hummingbirds here now are flighty and easily frightened, so I assume they are northern birds on their way down from Canada.

o

I finally got a hummingbird feeder this summer and we had it placed somewhere I couldn't really see it - just moved it a few weeks ago and now have been seeing tons of them. I'm guessing they've started moving south to us from Canada and will continue on...they are so fascinating!

o

We had a lot of hummingbirds this year. Normally we only see a couple females and one male throughout the season and even then they're not around too often. This summer they were all over. And what a show they have been putting on. They're feisty little devils and have been really tormenting all the other small birds on a regular basis, chasing them around and around and not giving up! We put out an oriole feeder early in the season, and luckily since we didn't get any orioles, the hummers have been enjoying it. Ours are not skittish at all yet. They barely fly away when we come outside and very frequently while I'm working in the garden they'll hang out in the same border with me and we chat. We really have enjoyed them so much this year!

o

I wish I had them in the yard. I did see one however by the river, humming around a swath of lobelia cardinallis. He was just about 2 ft from me, wish I had my camera handy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here