Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care for 'gift' hydrangea

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 18:05

I recently received a small potted hydrangea from a friend. It is not the kind you would buy at home depot or a nursery but rather a small hydrangea that has been forced to bloom and seems almost for decoration only.
Can I keep this and plant it in yard when ground thaws? (I don't even know if the ground is frozen!) I'm assuming it's too soon to do anything with it just yet. The leaves are starting to shrivel and I've watered it daily. The pot is small so it dries out quickly.
Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care for 'gift' hydrangea

Some of these plants are not hardy, but it's worth giving it a try. I'd re-pot it, into a container that's a couple of inches bigger around than what it's in. Then I'd keep it in a cool spot, out of direct sun, and keep it somewhat dry. It's too late to get it to go completely dormant, but you want it to take a little rest anyway.

The bigger pot and the partial shade should make it easier to stop watering it daily.

You might find more info on the hydrangea forum.

o

Same thing happened to me about 6 years ago when someone from Manhattan brought me a hydrangea as a hostess gift.

Are there any markings or tags on the plant to identify the grower? I ask because I found one on the florist's tag and called the company that grew the plant. They told me its name (which I've forgotten) and that it would not be hardy in my climate but I decided to give it a try. I kept it in a cool spot (no direct sun or heat) until spring.

Then I put the plant outside under a bush for several weeks to get it adjusted to the great outdoors. I planting it in a sheltered area on the side of the house where it was protected from winds. That tiny plant is now about 4 feet tall and just as wide. It's a blooming machine. So you never know.

DtD gave you great advice about slowing it down and getting it ready for the outdoors.

Molie

o

Thank you to the both of you! I would love to have it in my yard, so I'll follow your direction.
Your info is much appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here