Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Report on Providence Flower & Garden Show

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 and 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 18:28

It was worth going to Providence, a 1-hour drive, if only for the hit of green growing plants, blooming tulips and for chat with RI experts. Not as big as previous years, the space allowed us all to move around more easily. I bought loads of veg. seeds (and didn't have to pay for shipping, this way!) some lovely soaps, and clever colored drawings of patent applications, as gifts. Did you know that Plant Patent No. 1 was the New Dawn rose?

Listened to Julie Moir Messervy tell us how wonderful gardens are, how fun it is to be in one, and so forth. I was definitely underwhelmed. She seems to be overusing one form in her work: the spiral. Now it's her logo too. It was all so poetical and inspirational, but I longed to hear practical advice. Maybe the demonstrations taking place in the other rooms, took care of that.
The book store, as usual, was my favorite place to linger. Got "Scats and Tracks of the Northeast", very useful in the snow; and "Seascape Gardening" by Anne Halpin, published 2006, full of good photos.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Report on Providence Flower & Garden Show

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself Carol. It's been years since I've been to a flower show.

o

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed hearing about your trip. I haven't gone to a flower show in quite some time too. Sounds like fun.

o

This was the first time I missed the PVD show in several years - I was out of town for a party that I just couldn't skip. It was in the Hudson River valley, and I have to say that spring seems to be arriving there already.

Thanks for the review, Carol! Are you also going to the Boston show? I think I'm going to miss that one this year, too, I'm supposed to be going to New Jersey that week. Luckily our farmers market is held at Mahoneys at this time of year, so I get a little shot of greenery every weekend.

o

We went to the flower show in RI this year. As always the gardens and talks were great! We went to a talk on the NY Botanical Garden and the flower shows.events they have each year. Now it makes me want to go for a visit. Also went to a talk on raising Honey Bees which provided samples honey and descriptions of their lives and care. The sand sculpure exhibit was interesting also as been a mainstay last few years. I have some photos in the link below but this year the photos didn't come out as good. The show was more impressive than the photos indicate.

Here is a link that might be useful: RI 2013 Flower Show Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here